Remington 405gr. Bulk Bullets for the 45/70?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Remington 405gr. Bulk Bullets for the 45/70?

Post by Lastmohecken »

I ordered 500 of these Remington 405 gr jacketed soft points from Cabela's tonight. I had a gift card from a safety award, at work, that I needed to use up.

My question is Do those bullets have a canulure for crimping? It didn't say in the catalog but now it seems I remember reading on this board, that they did not have one.

Could someone clear this up for me?
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

They do.
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Jeff Quinn wrote:They do.

Thanks, I was hoping they did, I guess it was some other 45/70 bullet that I was reading about, that did not.
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

I thought the Remington 405s had to be crimped on the very slight shoulder for the 45-70, not much of a cannelure there if I remember correctly. I can't recall for sure because I've used the Speer 400 bullet pretty much exclusively for a while now.

Found an image on Midway's web site.
http://www.midwayusa.com/mediasvr.dll/i ... mid=865503

I believe you have to crimp on the front shoulder as the cannelures are set for some other cartridge, 458 Win perhaps?
Last edited by Jayhawker on Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well done is better than well said.
sureshot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by sureshot »

The 405gr Remington bullets actually have 2 cannelures, so you can adjust your OAL to suit the rifle a bit.
Steve
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

Do those bullets have a canulure for crimping?

Yes, but not where you want it to keep the OAL within specification.

I have 250 or so upstairs in my reloading room, maybe Remington have changed them?.

I use them in a Marlin XLR, they are accurate and kill well.

To secure them in the case I use a Lee FCD, very effective.

Cheers

Mark
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Those don't mean much to me.......I crimp them where ever the OAL comes in at and use the Lee Factory Die Crimp.....a nice heavy crimp.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Yeah, the cannalure is useless. I use a Lee FC die at that shoulder. They never moved on me but I dont load them very hot at all.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

It sounds like I need to get a factory crimp die or two. I am a little confused as to why Remington would put two canulures on a bullet special made for the 45/70 and neither one would be correct. I think that one of them would duplicate the over all length for factory ammo.

But of course if you guys are wanting custom OALs then of course I recond they would be in the wrong place.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

If you look at Remingtons factory ammo they put a crimp under the base of the bullet to keep it from pushing into the case. I'm a little baffled about the cannalure position too but I guess it dont matter to them due to their procedure.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

The answer is yes and no. There are two cannelures to help with neck tension, but you don't crimp into them. (of course you could with a single shot with a long throat). The bullet has a slight shoulder to crimp over as the others have said.
Slow is just slow.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

OK, I see everyone's point. I have a box of factory 405's and I see the crimp under the base of the bullet. I was wanting to load these pretty hot, in my 1886 and probably my 450 Alaskan, will the Lee FC die be enough to hold the bullets in place, when approching 2000 fps or more? Of did I mess up buying these bullets for that use?
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

With good neck tension and a solid crimp you should be fine.
Slow is just slow.