30-30AI performance in standard 30-30 Win.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

30-30AI performance in standard 30-30 Win.

Post by 86er »

FWIW, the Grizzly Cartridge load we used to try out the Henry rifles was chronograph end again today. From the 20" barrel w/ the chrono @ 6 ft. The 170 grain Nosler Partition averaged 2334 fps. This is better than top AI loads listed in the books. Grizzly does this with proprietary powders that get the speed with SAAMI spec pressures. Instead of converting a rifle, buying dies and tinkering with a load you could get a box of these and figure out your sight setting. Then, re-adjust to standard load sight setting for plinking, practice or other occasions where you don't want AI performance. Then when you want the speed, move the sights, check them and load Grizzly Cartridge for that occasion.

Of course you can load down the AI or maybe you just wanna tinker, and I'm all for that. But, here's a way to get the performance on-demand from your plain ole 30 WCF!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 30-30AI performance in standard 30-30 Win.

Post by TedH »

That's pretty impressive performance Joe.
NRA Life Member
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

And if you are a dyed-in-the-wool reloader (bunch of us hang around this place) that is the ballistics you'll get using Hodgdon's LVR powder and the 170 grain bullet. I get 2400 fps from my 24" barrels; haven't chrono'd a 20" barrel gun but that 2335 should be about right.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Sam Fadala wrote an entire chapter about his experiences with the 30-30 AI cartridge. His custom Winchester 94 had a 24 inch barrel which produced impressive figures.

Years ago, I owned a Savage model 219 single shot rifle chambered for 30-30 AI. Barrel length was 26 inches. I never checked velocities with a chronograph but flat trajectory proved that this conversion was effective. Foolishly, I traded it off. So it goes.

TR

Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have used a few rounds from Grizzly and have never been dissatisfied. If I can ever find the LVR powder, I would like to try it myself. As far as the AI, if I need more than the .30-30 has and want it in a 30 caliber, I'll just dig out the .30-06 bolt gun. Referring to the other thread, it seems that the .30-30 is still useful for a lot more than it gets used for.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

That is impressive. I wish he would do the same for my 32 special. Don't have a Partition bullet for it though, but still would appreciate the extra velocity sometimes. Would save a lot of trouble trying to modify it.
He is tough guy to contact, belive me, I have tried!!! But will have to keep trying, see if he can do similar to my 32 special.

Better yet, I have some 200gr Alaskan Kodiak bullets for my 338 Marlin. Wonder what he can get done there???
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Thanks for the heads up. Makes more sense than the FTX loads.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Wonder what He could do with the .356&.375 WCF.'s?
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

I have loaded for the Improved cartridge a bit. I am impresed.
2,350 fps is an ideal velocity for the 170-grain bullets and deer. You can get another 100 fps+ from Hodgdon Varget and Alliant Reloder 15 in the 20" barrels but this is at the expence of high pressure.
This is very good performance.
Remeber the 26" barrel 30-30 will touch 2,450 fps with the 170-grain bullets and Alliant Reloder 15 and Hodgdon Varget. Grandad knew the advantage in the long barrel rifle.
Slim