Henry 45/70

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Henry 45/70

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Besides the ugly photo-shopped picture of the H010 Henry 45/70 on their website I had not seen one especially not a production model. Then I spotted these pictures on Gunbroker and had to share them. This was an actual gun for sale and I think the real deal looks pretty decent. I don't mind the magazine tube loading, and the receiver looks great without a hammer-block safety to uglify it nor a tang safety to get in the way of a tang sight. The wood to metal fit looks decent, and so does the checkering in spite of it being impressed type. I like the non reflective finish on both the metal and the stock. I do wish it was available with a longer barrel and straight grip but I'm willing to compromise. Nice to know these mythical beast are actually real, and now available. :mrgreen:
ImageImage
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Henry 45/70

Post by Streetstar »

Receiver looks a bit Marlinesque, But that's a nice looking firearm all the same
----- Doug
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

I would love to see one in person.
I kinda like that magazine tube loading deal.
Now just need to find one I can actually hold in my hands.
Last edited by Mossyoak1957 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Nice looking levergun, I would like to take a closer look at the sights though :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

The sights look like the same sights that were on the .30-30 that was tested over at RKrodle's place by 86er and several members of the forum.

Basically an XS ghost-ring rear with a an XS white-line post front built onto a barrel-ring. No adjustment on the front sight because it's molded or machined and not dove-tailed.

On the .30-30 the white line was actually off-white and also glowed in the dark.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

So what kind of price tag (street price) is on that cream puff? I do like the Marlin look to the receiver, don't mind that it is tube loading (and emptying, which is a plus), don't mind the pistol grip stock, could live with out the "checkering", and since they used a rifle style forearm cap, I wish that they would have hung the tube from the barrel instead of using that front barrel band ramp sight combo.

I do like that they didn't use the "Big Boy" rifles as a pattern.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I am glad to see they finally got it into production........ I could live with the tube loader. but that front sight,hanger thing would have to go in the trash......................I HATE IT... :twisted: ... Rant over.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

The .30-30 had potential to be a good shooter, even with the factory sights.

There was a suggestion that the .30-30 might go under $600. The .45-70... ?

:?:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

FWiedner wrote:The .30-30 had potential to be a good shooter, even with the factory sights.

There was a suggestion that the .30-30 might go under $600. The .45-70... ?

:?:
Somewhere around $600 would be a good price I think.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

.45colt wrote:...but that front sight,hanger thing would have to go in the trash......................I HATE IT... :twisted: ... Rant over.
What's wrong with that? My Daisy 1894 "Spittin' Image" BB gun is made that way! :P
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Wood sure is impressive. Every bit as good as the .30-30 we tested for 86er a couple weeks ago.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

It's a good looking levergun, IMO.

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I don't care for tube loading a rifle. One of the great benefits of the receiver loading gate is the ability to easily top off. I don't mind it on my 15 shot 39, but I would not haul that Henry around dangerous gang, er, game...

Is the front sight actually mounted to the front band? It's not a problem if it doesn't move around while shooting. That's one rule I have, the front sight has to be immobile or it's worthless.. :lol:
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

I like it. Might make it's way onto the want list along with the brass 30-30.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Saw one today at Scheel's for $700. Looks better in person, than in a picture. Has a BLR with mag tube look. Cant get use to the no loading gate. It comes to the shoulder nice and has a decent rubber pad on it. The Skinner sights came up nicely to the eye to.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Yea loading through the tube leaves me cold. I don't even like doing it with the Henry .22.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

At least with the 22 you can make some speed loaders and tape 'em up for quickie reloads. The gun is totally out of comission tho when you're reloading it.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Grizz wrote:At least with the 22 you can make some speed loaders and tape 'em up for quickie reloads. The gun is totally out of comission tho when you're reloading it.
Not true. They single load easily via the ejection port. The loading tube spring doesn't have to be inserted to fire, only to feed from the magazine.

Had a short discussion concerning the loading tube and the group involved mostly felt that the loading tube was only a hindrance at the range or in practice, because you likely would be loading up but once if you were hunting. That said, there was also a participant in the discussion that voiced the concern about "topping off" the magazine.

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Hah! Ya got me. I never considered turning the 39 into a single-shot.

Learn something new every day.

Won't withstand the zombies tho.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Most big bore bolt guns are also out of commission while loading magazine too and can't be topped off with bolt closed.
The way I see it topping off a necessity in a battle rifle but not in a hunting rifle. As I see it too if a beast is charging you and you can't take care of business with the 4 rounds in the magazine plus the one in the chamber a loading gate will do you little good as he's gnawing on your cranium.

As far as the Marlin 1895 "KaBoom" thing mentioned in another thread I wonder how the design of the Henry H010 compares to the Marlin in this area strength wise. Any ideas?
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Ji there are lots of mag fed bolt guns around. At least you don't have to point the thing at the sky to load it.

No idea about the Henry strength. But interested in their engineering.

Grizz