PATCH POPPER!!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

PATCH POPPER!!!

Post by rbertalotto »

I saw somewhere a reference to a "Patch Popper". A simple device to hold cleaning patches under control and not flying all over the range or your cleaning bench.

I don't have a dog in this fight. I have no financial interest, but when I see something I think others can use, I feel it's my duty to post it.... :D

I ordered a couple of them from Arizona Sharp Shooters ( bpsteve@cox.net ).... www.arizonasharpshooters.com (It doesn't show up, on the "products" page. It is at the bottom of the home page)

They arrived today and I'm here to tell ya they are the neatest little gizmos I've seen in a long time. Very simple but a perfect solution to a PITN problem. Turn the little knob and a patch simply pops up. One cylinder for wet, one for dry. It just don't get any better!

$75 + $13 Shipping......

Paul Hurd is the source and I imagine you could also order directly from him.

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: PATCH POPPER!!!

Post by Blaine »

8) 8) Pitchy???
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I`m on that like a cat covering poop. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

A bit pricey...
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

That is a neat gizmo, but I'd rather spend that kind of funds on ammo or components to load it.

I don't normally clean my guns at the range. The only exception is when I shoot black powder and am hours or a day away from home. Even then sometimes I just wait till I'm home. When I do that I make sure the dirty patches are disposed of properly, and the clean ones are in a drawer of my shooting box.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

olyinaz wrote:A bit pricey...
Even a klutz like me could throw one of those together without too much trouble. It wouldn't look pretty, but, it would work. I suck with tools. :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'm gettin ready for work but I'll bet by this time tomorrow Pitchy has one that has class. :D
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

J Miller wrote:That is a neat gizmo, but I'd rather spend that kind of funds on ammo or components to load it.

I don't normally clean my guns at the range. The only exception is when I shoot black powder and am hours or a day away from home. Even then sometimes I just wait till I'm home. When I do that I make sure the dirty patches are disposed of properly, and the clean ones are in a drawer of my shooting box.

Joe
Joe that patch popper is a good piece of equipment for bpcr competition shooting, where you wipe the bore (not just 18 inches of it :roll: ) between shots to get the best accuracy at 1000 yds. NRA registered target matches are a timed event, so the less fumbling one must do with equipment during the relay the better.
The guy that came up with this design is a dedicated competitor, and he put a good bit of time and thought into them. I am glad to see he's got the patent applied for, as it would be a dang shame for some skumsucker to take the idea, and attempt to make a profit off of someone elses thoughts, time, trials and testing..
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The guy that came up with this design is a dedicated competitor, and he put a good bit of time and thought into them. I am glad to see he's got the patent applied for, as it would be a dang shame for some skumsucker to take the idea, and attempt to make a profit off of someone elses thoughts, time, trials and testing..
If making one for personal use is wrong, I won't do it..... :idea:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

BlaineG You can make anything for personal use except drugs and booze.
As long as you don`t sell them, Have fun makin it.
I used to use plastic smokeless tobacco (chew) cans to hold pre wetted cleaning patches for BP
shooting at the range. :wink:
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Making one for yourself is alright, making another one for your buddy is getting close to the line, making some to sell to others has crossed the line.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Pitchy wrote:I`m on that like a cat covering poop. :lol:
I had a good chuckle at that one Pitchy!!!

Steve
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

SteveR wrote:
Pitchy wrote:I`m on that like a cat covering poop. :lol:
I had a good chuckle at that one Pitchy!!!

Steve
:lol: heck i even chuckled.
I prob. won`t make any either, too busy making boats now.
Thinking about a mouse trap powered on next. :idea:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well Don, since I don't shoot BPCR matches it just didn't occur to me that's what the idea came from. Pretty good one too.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Don McDowell wrote: Joe that patch popper is a good piece of equipment for BPCR competition shooting, where you wipe the bore (not just 18 inches of it :roll: ) between shots to get the best accuracy at 1000 yds. NRA registered target matches are a timed event, so the less fumbling one must do with equipment during the relay the better.

The guy that came up with this design is a dedicated competitor, and he put a good bit of time and thought into them. I am glad to see he's got the patent applied for, as it would be a dang shame for some skumsucker to take the idea, and attempt to make a profit off of someone else's thoughts, time, trials and testing...
I figured that it was a competition thing. For the small audience intended the cost is probably not that important and I'm sure you'll see them on the line for exactly the reason you suggest.

It's not something that the average Joe would want at that price, but it sure seems as if it's something that even an average Joe could find a use for in his shop were it a $15 item...which I'm sure it would be if it were made in China. Maybe he'll find a way to license it to Ramline or someone like that.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Yes it's intended market is relatively small, and maybe they will expand it out at some point, but from accounts of those involved in working with the protypes, they are not that easy to assemble so there is some labor costs.
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

If the maker gets a patent, due to the limited market for such a device i don't see how he can ever recoup the high cost of obtaining that patent. Neat little idea though.

Bob in Friday Harbor
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Since I'm the original poster for the Patch Popper, I received a call last night from Paul Hurd, the fellow that makes them. He saw this and another post where folks were concerned that the price was too high for such a device. He explained in detail how he makes these units and what it costs and as I suggested, he ain't going be buying a Ferrari with the profits. Paul makes next to nothing on each unit. He isn't doing it to get rich, but simply to sell a neat product to his friends in the shooting community.

Just thought I'd add this so folks might have a better understanding......Thanks!
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

rbertalotto wrote:Since I'm the original poster for the Patch Popper, I received a call last night from Paul Hurd, the fellow that makes them. He saw this and another post where folks were concerned that the price was too high for such a device. He explained in detail how he makes these units and what it costs and as I suggested, he ain't going be buying a Ferrari with the profits. Paul makes next to nothing on each unit. He isn't doing it to get rich, but simply to sell a neat product to his friends in the shooting community.

Just thought I'd add this so folks might have a better understanding......Thanks!
I am duly chastised...I will buy one if I need one 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

My field use patch distribution setup cost maybe 10 cents. Couple of ziplock sandwich bags seem to do the trick.

Don't take my idea or I'll sue. Really. :roll:

I will concede that perhaps I just haven't been where this golly-gee-whiz neato thing is "needed."

Until I have been exposed thus, I will have to catalog it as just another silly gizmo to waste money on.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:BlaineG You can make anything for personal use except drugs and booze.
As long as you don`t sell them, Have fun makin it.
I used to use plastic smokeless tobacco (chew) cans to hold pre wetted cleaning patches for BP
shooting at the range. :wink:
here in the Pacific NorthWest pot is legal...so in reality we can grow our own, roll our own, and smoke our own....dude...had to add the word "dude" when one is talking about pot... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

I will have to catalog it as just another silly gizmo to waste money on.
So sad...Totally not called for. A fellow shooter builds a GREAT device that has a huge NEED if you shoot Black Powder and NEED to swab between shots out on a windy firing line, and because some folks are ignorant of the need, revert to disparaging the idea. This is just a very small sliver of what is wrong with America.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

Man that is really slick. A one man show gathering the materials and cutting and assembling dozens to hundreds of those things would be unbearably monotonous. I have been down that road. $75.00 is very reasonable ..I expect he may never break even. Patents are crazy expensive.. Better buy'em before he gets tired of fooling with making them.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

rbertalotto wrote:
So sad...Totally not called for. A fellow shooter builds a GREAT device that has a huge NEED if you shoot Black Powder and NEED to swab between shots out on a windy firing line, and because some folks are ignorant of the need, revert to disparaging the idea. This is just a very small sliver of what is wrong with America.

Yes, personal opinions and people who have them will be the downfall of civilization as we know it.

Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

FWiedner wrote:
rbertalotto wrote:

Yes, personal opinions and people who have them will be the downfall of civilization as we know it.

:P The opposite of PC is not intentionally rude :)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV