Leverless for 6 months

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Leverless for 6 months

Post by perry owens »

Getting ready to pack my little collection ready to ship home to the UK.
From the top: Shiloh Montana Roughrider, 1886 c.1887, 1873 c. 1890, Werndl, Martini Henry, Baker Rifle, Reilly sporting Snider, Rigby Snider carbine, JJ Silver Snider carbine
Reckon it will take about 6 months to get my UK firearms license back and until then I can't even reload a round legally. There are also a pair of Old Army's and a couple of shotguns, plus a ton of reloading equipment and components - all at less than half the UK price. By way of consolation I have to go to the range soon to shoot off all the assorted loaded rounds I have left over. Look out for the pall of BP smoke over Long Island.
Perry Owens
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

We're gonna miss you. I'd trade a million illegals for you, if I could. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hobie wrote:We're gonna miss you. I'd trade a million illegals for you, if I could. :wink:
Ditto, but since you do have the internet over there (even if it was invented by an American) :P , keep in touch! We'll be looking forward to more of your exploits!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Will you have trouble getting permits for everything when you get home? It would be a shame to lose anything for want of proper paperwork.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

Rusty wrote
Will you have trouble getting permits for everything when you get home? It would be a shame to lose anything for want of proper paperwork.
Everything but the Shiloh, the 1873 and the Baker are classed as antiques in obsolete calibers, which means I can import them as "curiosities or ornaments" without a permit so long as I do not shoot them. Since I am writing a book on shooting military single-shots I don't think I will have a problem getting them approved as shooters. The Baker was built from a kit and is still a firearm even though it is a flinter! I belong to a UK CAS club and a long range BP rifle club so the other guns should not be a problem either. So far, in 40 years shooting in the UK, I have never been denied anything I applied for. The trick to dealing with the licensing authorities is (a) Be polite (b) know the law better than they do (c) Know your rights and insist on getting them.
Perry Owens
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

perry owens wrote: The trick to dealing with the licensing authorities is (a) Be polite (b) know the law better than they do (c) Know your rights and insist on getting them.
Perry Owens
Gosh, about like here! :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Everything but the Shiloh, the 1873 and the Baker are classed as antiques in obsolete calibers
Wow, how does the 73 not get the antique in an obsolete caliber moniker?
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

Wow, how does the 73 not get the antique in an obsolete caliber moniker?
The 1873 is in 38-40.The British Home Office publishes a list of obsolete calibers based on what cartridges they consider are still commercially available. As far as I know none of the 1873 calibers are on it. The 1886 is in 40-65 and thus slips through the net. Of course, any determined crook could freely purchase brass, bullets and Pyrodex without restriction and load his own 40-65s but that would of course be illegal!!!
Perry Owens
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Wow!Nice collection.Have a safe trip.Six months without a levergun?How will you survive withdraws? :lol:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

nice collection and i wish you luck with getting set back up over across the pond. Check in when you get settled in.

blessings
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

You can leave under one condition, if you promise to take one of those fine lever guns and drop a nice Red Deer or something with it, and post us some pics. If you can do that you're free to go.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

You can leave under one condition, if you promise to take one of those fine lever guns and drop a nice Red Deer or something with it, and post us some pics. If you can do that you're free to go.
Will do what I can. I have a relative who farms 10 square miles of Scottish Highlands but for deer there you must have a muzzle energy of 1750 ftlb and a muzzle velocity of 2450 ft/sec. Don't think I can stoke up the 1886 to that level. However I also have an invite to shoot feral pigs closer to home in the South of England.A 0.577 Snider should take care of them.
Perry Owens
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I'd say a 577 would definately work on a pig. The Martini-Henry definately would too.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hobie wrote:We're gonna miss you. I'd trade a million illegals for you, if I could. :wink:
Ooh, can I bid too? I'll take your million, and raise you another!

Good luck in the move back Perry! Check in when you get settled. :D