Photobucket is a disaster

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Photobucket is a disaster

Post by Grizzly Adams »

I have never had PH crash on me. I wonder if some of these problems reflect differences in platforms/operating systems, and/or age of the devices being used?
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Pitch - I have 837 in my main one and another number of smaller ones - they are easy but the large one is cumbersome - maybe I can separate them into women, guns, scenics, travel etc.

Well now tonight it is going faster

wonder where you can get a rig like this

modern 45s

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Runnin' around and checkin' different things out... I'm starting to get used to it. Not having the issues I was having when I first started using it. It does take going into your settings and redoin' some of the defaults.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Pitchy wrote:Black bar appears across the screen at the bottom if and when ya can scroll down too the bottom of your pictures which it has to load all of them in your album at once.
Wouldn't worry about them black bars, it's the grizzlys you have to worry about. :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Griff, where is the upload size control - had it but I lost it?

Should be a sticky on this.
Last edited by Old Savage on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote:Griff, where is the upload size control - had it but I lost it?
I still haven't found it.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

It isn't just the computer you're on, I've tried other computers, and so many people have complained about the speed now in the help forums, it can't be that everybody has slow computers.

Funny that Udy thought the pages were slower, that hasn't been my experience with the new version, its vastly slower in everything it does, and we lost a lot of functions. The scroll has been horribly slow.

I dont believe that the complaints are just "that people dont like change". I believe people dont like change the makes something that worked fairly well into something that has slower functional speed, is harder to use, has less basic functions, and has poor support.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Again what happens to me is, the first time i scroll to the bottom it goes pretty fast. Then it loads some more pictures and i scroll down again.
The third time when i get to the bottom the banner on the top appears across the bottom of my screen and that`s when things start slowing down.
By the time i`ve scrolled down five times it hardly moves at all and will get so bad that when it loads more pictures the whole page will disappear and reappear.
I can`t get to the bottom of my album. :(
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

um, this is why you should limit your albums to about 100 photos/ - maybe up to 200, but even then the scrolling is a pain

and sub-albums with sub-albums - I can navigate mine fairly well - don't know exactly how many sub-albums I have, because they don't make it easy to find that summary information, bandwidth usage, etc. any more.

However, I must have about 90 or so albums, and know my way around them fairly well.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Guess i could start at the begining of the album and move some to new albums, if i only new how???
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I'm not sure how it's going to work with the new system, but when you move pictures to sub-albums, they'll likely disapear from anywhere you've posted them online in forums. Not the end of the world, but annoying when looking at an older thread and pics have disapeared from being moved/deleted.

Sub-albums are fine in their place, but the page system wasn't hard to use, and was easy to get to the end of it. I had an idea where my pics were and could skip to that page or close to it to find a pic. It was vastly faster than the scroll, even when you had to load some pages, or even all the pages in turn, at least on the computers I've used.

I found the older system fairly simple to use and figure out, the new version makes me curse it bitterly whenever I need to use it or try to find things because its so slow and frustrating to use. That's very out of character for me, but seems to be par for using the new version.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Malamute wrote:...when you move pictures to sub-albums, they'll likely disapear from anywhere you've posted them online in forums. ...
what he said - this is exactly correct.

Pitchy, initially move stuff that you don't expect to have linked to on-line bandwidth (unless you don't mind losing those online links - old posts).
The real key is to plan ahead and start new folders for new photos sets, by subject, date, anything to break them down, and how you would remember the way they're sorted.
Last edited by bdhold on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

ImageShack uses a page system.

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Glad you guys gave a heads up on that, heck i think all my pictures are in forums on here.
I`ve been putting some new pics on imageshack and i opened a new album on PB for videos.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

It appears now that if you open an album and start to scroll down then leave it open it will load all the pics as if you did 'view all' on the old PB site. 839 in mine and I can quickly scroll down through all of them. I am going to leave one ta b open with the big main album and another one open to access the smaller albums.
Last edited by Old Savage on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdhold

Post by bdhold »

yes, but the speed of the scrolling depends on the bandwidth of your internet connection, the speed of your processor, and the size of your RAM.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Mine is a 5 year old laptop on DSL. Nows goes from the top to the bottom in the big album in less than two seconds.

Looks to me like they are working through the complaints.

bdhold

Post by bdhold »

right, because it now has all of the thumbnails loaded in the browser cache.
But they all have to be loaded before it will do that.

If you have 2500 photos in your folder and the size of your RAM is smaller than all the programs running plus that cache size, it has to write to the hard drive for "virtual memory" - this process is very slow.
Then when you scroll up and down, your processor goes back and forth between your RAM and your hard drive to refresh the image - it's slow then.

a big fast computer 10 years ago had 8Mb RAM (and 10-20 Gb storage). New computers have 4-8 Gb RAM - 500-1000 times as much working file size (and 250-500 Gb storage).
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I still can`t get half of the pics to load in the big album.
It scrolls fast the first few pages and the bar on the right jumps up about half way. But then it goes into it`s wife on a bad day mode and hardly moves, the bar on the right only jumps up about 1/4 inch.
The further it goes the worse it gets so i`m still out of luck. :roll:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Pitchy wrote:I still can`t get half of the pics to load in the big album.
It scrolls fast the first few pages and the bar on the right jumps up about half way. But then it goes into it`s wife on a bad day mode and hardly moves, the bar on the right only jumps up about 1/4 inch.
The further it goes the worse it gets so i`m still out of luck. :roll:
this is because you run out of virtual memory - you need more RAM (new computer...)
Otherwise, you have to cut down the folder sizes.
As I said before, go through and cull/move any photo that you don't expect to have linked to an online post that you want to keep active. If it only lets you go so far, start at the top and work down.
Number your folders, give them names by subject
e.g. my firearms folders are H001, 1873, 1871, 1885, all under a larger subfolder; my fishing folders are fish1 through fishxx, in a different larger folder, and I usually start a new folder every fall - haven't subdivided bike folders yet, and I have 250 in that folder, but most of the older ones can just be culled; vacations, my girls - I've tried to keep my 8000 photos organized in reasonably small folders, and I can find my way around.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Every picture i have is on this and other boards so if i move them they`ll be gone.
I installed Firefox and it works a lot better.
I opened another album for new stuff so i don`t have so many in that album.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

that works as long as you're not too keen on re-using the old ones.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

One of these days, I'll get organized. Until then, I'll complain, ok? :P :lol: :shock:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Griff wrote:One of these days, I'll get organized. Until then, I'll complain, ok? :P :lol: :shock:

I'm with you Griff , kinda , heard enough about problems with the "new and improved " version I just keep holding out. Hope that when forced into it they have most of the bumps smoothed out.
Phil
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

They may indeed get most of the problems worked out, and I hope they bring back some of the things we lost at this point, however,...I think they should have gotten more of the bugs worked out before making everyone have to use it. Reading the help forums, it looks like they've really PO'ed a lot of people, including many of the pro/paid users with all the features that simply havent been working, either at all, or as they should, or that have been simpy taken away and arent slated to return. It seems really disorganised and poorly planned.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Wow. . . it is actually WORKING today. Maybe they're getting things fixed.

Speedy and did stuff pretty easily just now.

Cautiously optimistic.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Was just on there. Working but still think it stinks. I sent them an email last stating in no uncertain terms that
their new sight BLOWS!!!
jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BUT - I still can't figure out why even AFTER I 'resize' a photo there, that it still is too-large on a leverguns post. I've even edited the post to 'remove' the photo, then restored it with the photobucket link, and the photo is TOO BIG.

However, if I resize it BEFORE it ever is uploaded to leverguns, it is ok.

I assume there is some uploaded-photo cache on the leverguns server that doesn't dump the original...???
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Just went through this - I had to delete the post, go back to photobucket, resize and tell to replace the original then redo the post.

Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

OS, changed the settings as you described on page 2 of this thread, can not get all 223 pictures up at once. Only two across and then scroll, by the end of the second page, my computer locked up.

Could not even get out of it with the ctl-alt-delete...had to hard dump the unit.

Computer is only ten years old...XP Pro OS, 2G RAM, 750G HD. But loaded with business professional programs...me thinks over the years it is getting tired. Is this possible?

HD still has 20% of the memory left!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

OTH - don't know enough to help - had to look back for what I said. Mine comes up 4 across and scrolls pretty rapidly - computer is 5 to 6 years old. Not sure how much memory or the other numbers. They seem to have worked out of some of the problems since we first started this discussion.