Time to recall old attitudes about guns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

By Dan Sernoffsky
Lebanon Daily News
http://www.ldnews.com/columns/ci_8552846

Ralphie’s fondest wish that Christmas was to find a Red Ryder BB gun under the tree. And, after having been told by practically everyone, including Santa Claus, that “you’ll shoot your eye out, kid!â€
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Thanks alot OI that is a lot of good reading.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

the movie was set in 1940
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Times have changed

Post by Les Staley »

Brought my first deer rifle home on the school bus, after buying it from a math teacher.. a 1903A3 Remington, a DCM rifle, bought by the teacher for $21, and sold to me for $25.. bus driver asked me to sit in the front seat so the little kids wouldn't get hurt on the sharp front sight. I was 16 at the time, 1962. still have the rifle.. Les
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

When I was 16 years old, and living in a small cow town in Eastern Oregon, we would wear our side arms into the local store and every where we went. The local cowboys had to check their pistols in at the Bar, and we were allowed to go in and check ours in for a soda pop... :)

I wanted a RED RIDER BB gun when I was a kid(under 10 years old), but my dad would not let me have one...he said, "They are more dangerous than a 22, might put somebodys eye out." He was a PRO-GUNNER too. That being said, he had an old Benjeman Pump BB/pellet pistol, and I took it out without permission. I shot another kid with it, and got into a lot of trouble...

No wonder I joined the Marines! :lol:
Last edited by Jarhead on Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Semper Fi
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Times have changed

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Les Staley wrote:Brought my first deer rifle home on the school bus, after buying it from a math teacher.. a 1903A3 Remington, a DCM rifle, bought by the teacher for $21, and sold to me for $25.. bus driver asked me to sit in the front seat so the little kids wouldn't get hurt on the sharp front sight. I was 16 at the time, 1962. still have the rifle.. Les
I will give you $50 and let you double your money! :D

I once was spending the weekends at a friends house on opening weekend of dove season. I took my 12 ga to school with me and set it in the corner of the vice principal's office so that I would have the gun when I went home from school with him that day. I was 15 and didnt have my drivers license yet. Imagine if a kid did that today.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

BB guns were shot openly in my childhood neighborhood. I took my shotgun to highschool as part of a book report presentation in Spanish.......We'd ride our .22s across town on our handlebars to go shoot at the dump......... I mourn the loss of America and darn this onset of multi-cultural PC girly guys......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

BlaineG wrote:BB guns were shot openly in my childhood neighborhood. I took my shotgun to highschool as part of a book report presentation in Spanish.......We'd ride our .22s across town on our handlebars to go shoot at the dump......... I mourn the loss of America and darn this onset of multi-cultural PC girly guys......
I feel the same way :( I reckon we can feel lucky that we got to live when times were different. It ain't over yet!! I remember when you could go to the hardware store and pick up 2 deer tags and your hunting license for next to nothing! Now, you have to put your name in the hat, and it can take 3-4 years to get an Elk or Deer tag. Too many people and not enough game to go around. You can still find freedom in Alaska, but the liberals are working hard on Alaska now too. They were in 1995 when I left....It's starting to boom like crazy...and soon it will be hunting by lottery permit only....I feel fortunate to have lived during the times of "Baseball, Apple Pie, Winchester, etc., etc....

I mourn with ya Brother!
Semper Fi
TomD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TomD »

"Brought my first deer rifle home on the school bus, after buying it from a math teacher.. a 1903A3 Remington, a DCM rifle, bought by the teacher for $21, and sold to me for $25.. bus driver asked me to sit in the front seat so the little kids wouldn't get hurt on the sharp front sight. I was 16 at the time, 1962. still have the rifle.. Les"

That is totally my gun culture. I was a little after that, but I did both legally trade and shoot guns in school, in Toronto, where supposedly that would be impossible. My idea of a school shooting is still a sporting event.

What is missing is trust. Trust that a kid won't have an accident; trust that your neighbour is safe with a gun; etc... So I do worry about a lot of the partisan bickering because nothing can fundamentally change unless we get the trust back. I don't think I ever see that happening though.
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

Used to take my shotgun to high school because a couple of us shot skeet on Thurs. after school. Also often had a Rem 700 22-250 in my locker for hunting ground hogs during the summer months. No one ever said a word. It was in NY state too!
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

I walked down main street (well - in a town wildly claiming 115 residents - there was only one street) with my trophies and .22 rifle in 1934 - no one noticed other than to say "HI Jack".

Those were good days - despite depression incomes. I shot .22 shorts 'cause they went for two bits a box and long rifles went for four bits a box. Required head shots but, that develops better shooting. :roll:

:D
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

OJ wrote:I walked down main street (well - in a town wildly claiming 115 residents - there was only one street) with my trophies and .22 rifle in 1934 - no one noticed other than to say "HI Jack".

Those were good days - despite depression incomes. I shot .22 shorts 'cause they went for two bits a box and long rifles went for four bits a box. Required head shots but, that develops better shooting. :roll:

:D
Great photo DOC!
Semper Fi