Hornady Leverevolution .348

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Hornady Leverevolution .348

Post by getitdone1 »

Wondering if the Hornady Leverevolution .348, 200 gr bullet is more explosive or penetrates less than the regular Hornady 200 gr .348?

I'm sure the Leverevolution shoots a little flatter with its pointed tip but is that aspect really significant for this type of cartridge?

Anyone here compared them?

Don
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Re: Hornady Leverevolution .348

Post by mod71alaska »

Hi Don, I didn't know the Hornady Leverevolution was available in .348. What seems to be the going price and who's carrying it? I went through all my ammo last week and have half a dozen extra boxes (more than I think I need!) of 200gr. Winchester Silvertips if you need some.

Victor
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

Victor,
The Hornady 200gr FTX bullet is available as a component, but there isn't loaded LeveRevolution ammo available.
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Sorry, meant as a PM
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

I have shot a few groups with them and they are not any more accurate than the flat point Hornady. They also shoot to the same point of aim.

Mike
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I shot a moose four years ago with the old Hornady 200gr flat point with complete penetration. There was a three foot diameter cloud of red mist out the back side. I would be interested to know if the leveRevolution opened a little quicker at a lower velocity. It may be an option to add a little versatility to this cartridge.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

mod71alaska wrote:Hi Don, I didn't know the Hornady Leverevolution was available in .348. What seems to be the going price and who's carrying it? I went through all my ammo last week and have half a dozen extra boxes (more than I think I need!) of 200gr. Winchester Silvertips if you need some.

Victor
mod71alaska,

See where Midway USA has them for 38.99, box of 100--bullets.

Thanks for the offer of the Silvertips. What are you asking for them? Is this Winchester factory loaded ammo?

I know the 200 gr Hornady penetrates well. Would the Silvertips penetrate less than the Hornadys?

Don
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

from my experience in 30-30 & 35 rem the FTX bullets are not as tough a the interlock and I wouldnt use them on elk or bigger they open to fast and wont hold up to shoulder shots, might be ok if the animal was standing broadside but if you hit to far foreword you are in for a footrace. danny
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

BigSky56 wrote:from my experience in 30-30 & 35 rem the FTX bullets are not as tough a the interlock and I wouldnt use them on elk or bigger they open to fast and wont hold up to shoulder shots, might be ok if the animal was standing broadside but if you hit to far foreword you are in for a footrace. danny
That's being kind to them! My experience is that they are varmit bullets, blowing up on impact. I have shot them in 35 Rem, 308 me, 44 mag and 45/70. I would not even think of them for a mighty .348!!
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

buckeyeshooter wrote:
BigSky56 wrote:from my experience in 30-30 & 35 rem the FTX bullets are not as tough a the interlock and I wouldnt use them on elk or bigger they open to fast and wont hold up to shoulder shots, might be ok if the animal was standing broadside but if you hit to far foreword you are in for a footrace. danny
That's being kind to them! My experience is that they are varmit bullets, blowing up on impact. I have shot them in 35 Rem, 308 me, 44 mag and 45/70. I would not even think of them for a mighty .348!!
buckeyeshooter,

Well......that's what I was after with my initial post. Varmit/self-defense bullets for my Browning model 71 carbine. Don't expect to use them a lot but will sure give them a try. I'll see how they compare with other .348 loads on plastic milk jugs filled with water. Bullet found in 1st or 2nd jug is what I'd like to see. Fragments, only--even better.

Don
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

FTX should flatten trajectory and retain energy better past 200 yards. With my .348WCF, 200 yards is max, generally closer for game. However, the FTX may be the ticket for an elk at 300. Great to have options. :D
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

That said, I'd like to see HORNADY load the .348 WCF. with their magic superformance powders with a 250 grain flatpoint, instead :idea: