How many of you guys.............

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

How many of you guys.............

Post by jnyork »

Buy things that you wanted as a kid or teenager but couldn't afford at the time. I'm 72 and have been doing this for years, especially with guns. A Mossberg .22, tube magazine with the old Mossberg scope on it and a S&W K-22, both of which were owned by friends and which made me green with envy made their way to my safe 50 years later. :D Marlin 39A's (several) M1 Garand, 1911 .45 ACP, etc etc, Model 52 Winchester, 40X Remington, all the arsenal of my dreams in the '50's, now at my fingertips. Wheee!! :lol:

My good friend is a old car nut and goes to all the car shows in the area and has a 52 Ford he displays, has won a few trophies. I see these geezers out there in their 40's and 50's cars, "just like the one I had in High School" and cant help wondering how many of them "just wanted one very badly in High School". I know I had trouble sometimes just getting up the 50 cents for this month's issue of Hot Rod magazine .

Fess up now, how many of you does this apply to? :P
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Re: How many of you guys.............

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I think all that's pretty natural and I'm guilty as anyone. But I did soon discover there are lot's of things I wanted to have when I was a kids that just ain't worth the pain (and no I'm not talkin about that Prom queen I drooled over). Even worse I buy stuff I did have as a kid and regretfully don't have any more.

But in reality I usually regret it for the memories of wantin or missin something are usually better than the actual items. Nothing worse than getting something you always wanted only to be disappointed.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Yes Sir, been doing that the last 3 years. Childhood wants, and purchases. M99 in 250 Savage. M92 in 25/20. H&R M158 in 30/30. Ruger BH in 45Colt. 1911. Single Six convertible. 4-5 Weaver "K" scopes in 2.5 to 3x. Bushnell Phantom scopes with mounts for T/C Contender. 6 Different pistol barrels for Contender. Marlin 375W lever. Ruger Security Sixes. Of all these the only one that hasnt lived up to my childhood expectations is the M92 25/20. Tho plan on taking it up North and playing with it for 2 weeks. Still have 3-4 more but that will wait awhile.
Last edited by 3leggedturtle on Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Spent a lot of Saturdays growing up at the local barbershop studying old hunting magazines. That's where I got the itch for the Winchester model 71, lightweight 1886, commercial mauser sporting rifle, mannlicher, etc. Just now (at 52) getting used to the fact that I'm much happier NOT lugging those old winchesters and collector pieces through the cactus and up and down the ridge line in the upper Mohave. Still wouldn't sell them; I just need to find a lighter scoped rifle for ridge walking.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

After a long distance move that forced the selling or giving away of many, many items I once thought were precious, I have since given up trying to get or collect things anymore, and have become of a minimalist to a great extent. That plus the current economic situation.
Besides you can't take it with you no matter hard one tries :lol:
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I wasn't raised in a "gun" or hunting family. My dad loved fishing. I still have some of his old salt-water gear... but I was sick of fishing by the time I was 9. I still have the '55 Chevy I had in high school, but missed my Dad's old '58 p/u he got while I was in the service. It was a really clean p/u. I really screamed when I found out he just up and sold it, without offerin' to me. So some 15 years ago I bought a '57 off a farm in south Texas, but it was a "big window" model, and I like the small. So a trade into the '55-½ I have all tore apart in the barn will have to suffice. He had a 327 in his, but I'll get by with the old 427 that I pulled outta my sedan when I rebuilt it back in '92. There's still two projects ahead of it on the "list"!

My dad had a gun around, (shotgun I think), but never took it out. His memories of hunting as a kid were as a chore that needed doin'. My love of firearms came from the military.

I have the family's water skiis from when I was a kid, and have searched for our old boat. I believe it's in Nashville, TN (the last time I looked seriously it was for sale, but the guy wanted a tad too much for it)! I see and have met a LOT of other baby-boomers that have gone hunting things their families or they had when younger. Things they couldn't afford as they were raising a family, or simply didn't have time for.

So, I'd say yes, we Americans are rather sentimental.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

I am hot on the trail of a 49 chevy coupe. I am planning to indulge my impending middle age crisis.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

L_Kilkenny wrote:I
But in reality I usually regret it for the memories of wantin or missin something are usually better than the actual items. Nothing worse than getting something you always wanted only to be disappointed.
Certainly applies to women. :shock:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Guilty here too. I have a 1985 Corvette that was the only thing I the world I wanted when I was 17.
It's a little beat up (so am I ) but love rumbling around town in it. :D
As for guns I was into the AK's, ARs and anything else semi-auto. Right now I'm
Really happy I have that stuff because I sure wouldn't be able to afford them these days!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I grew up all over at various Air Force bases. My mother's favorite uncle was a ranch manager in south Louisiana near where both sets of my grandparents lived. She would always take me with her to ride horses when ever we had the opportunity. I moved around quite a bit after my three year stint in the Army; seven jobs (all in electric line work) in 22 years, each involving a move, usually to a different state. When I took this job (#8, 12+ years ago [and plan to be my last]) my wife and I finally moved to the country ourselves, we decided to get each of us a horse so that we could ride. It has since turned into four horses and five donkeys. I should have decided to collect Harleys. It would have been a heck of a lot cheaper with much less maintenance and much higher resale value.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

damienph wrote:Image
..higher resale value.
What's that?
Great picture! Good lookin' horses!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

jnyork wrote:
L_Kilkenny wrote:I
Certainly applies to women. :shock:

Yep lots of times it would be better to think about::: What could of been, rather than what is was!!!
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Griff wrote:
damienph wrote:Image
..higher resale value.
What's that?
Great picture! Good lookin' horses!
Resale?! What was I thinking?

The front one is a registered Thoroughbred mare named Duchess, the paint is a four year old Kentucky Foxtrotter mare named Blue, the Bay (the only one that is truly mine) is a registered Quarter Horse gelding named Jack, and the one in back is a Tennessee Walker gelding named Danny Boy that was a "gift" to my wife from my sister; thanks Denise, thanks a lot!

To those of you who don't know, there is no such thing as a free horse.

The names of the registered horses are really alot longer than the nicknames that we call them, but I would have to get their papers out to be able to tell you what they are.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I can honestly say that I have never went out and got something
that i could not afford.....
well maybe my wife! :lol:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

RIHMFIRE wrote:I can honestly say that I have never went out and got something
that i could not afford.....
well maybe my wife! :lol:

I know what you mean, I could afford mine at first, but she has steadily, um..., increased in value.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I`m guilty, boys and their toys :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

i just bought a 2010 hemi challenger R/T with 5.6k miles on it. I'm never gonna grow up. :wink:
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Not just childhood, but there were things I wanted when the kids were young that I couldn't justify. Today my justification is on a bumper sticker I've seen from time to time. "I'm spending my kids inheritance". :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I started having some money after Daughter left the house....I've spent a lot of money on motorcycles, boats, motors, trucks, guns, and fishing tackle.......the rest I wasted on food and housing. 8) But, when I got laid off last summer I had a solid net worth, and everything paid for.....You can have it all if you ain't crazy with it.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

It's been going on for 47 years and might go on a few more. :D RR7
"That'll Be The Day"
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

In the words of Ben Johnson - Sgt Tyree in She Wore a Yellow Ribbon - yes sir, up to and including now. But, I am sure I need a Model 70 458 Win Mag - but, my wife is sure she needs an orange Challenger.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I sure know I'm guilty. Times were lean growing up so lots of catch up going on.
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

There is no question that I have tried to play catch-up when it comes to buying things I wanted as a youth. I was never into cars, but growing up in a hunting and fishing family I developed an interest in guns very early, but I developed the ability to buy what I wanted very late. I love leverguns and single actions and there are more to choose from today than ever before. Some guns that I lusted over as a kid are not made any longer and if you find a good vintage gun they are way over priced, or they aren't quite as I remember. I have found out that my memory is often better than the actual gun I remember. The one thing I know for sure, my love of .22's as a kid is equally strong today.

But perhaps the most fun I have now is the ability to buy almost any gun I want without breaking the bank and selling the same gun if it doesn't work out without feeling bad about it. I guess that is the benefit and the curse of being 68. In a few years I may not remember it anyway and I can buy them again for the first time. :lol: :lol:
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Oh sure, it's a common syndrome. I'm guilty.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright