Springfield Armory 1911-A1

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Springfield Armory 1911-A1

Post by pwl44m »

Picked up My new 45 today, nuthin special just been wanting another 45. This one came up so I bought it. Going up to My propety Thurs. so I will run some rounds thru it. I had a comp barrel bushing so I stuck it on it and a Chip McCormick 10 rnd Mag just for kicks. The Knife in the Pic is a Cammilus US N Mk2 that I picked up today also. Got a couple pics of the new one and a Group shot of all My 1911s.- 1 SA, 1 Remington Rand and 2 Colts.
Perry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Springfield Armory 1911-A1

Post by rjohns94 »

Like very much
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Nice to be an American..........is'nt it?
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thx RJ
Mescy- wouldn't have it any other way. I supose Sylvester will want these too. They're Here. "Molon Labe" I'm assuming they r going to pay Us for them right. Don't answer that, I want this to stay in Gen discussion. :lol:
Perry
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

5,000 rds through mine - shoots great.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

OS, I doubt I will ever put that many through it but it is nice to know it is capable.
Perry
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Love mine as well. Put a set of Hogue hardwood grips on it. Next upgrade will be a set of low-light combat sights to replace those lousy GI sights.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

stew71 wrote:Love mine as well. Put a set of Hogue hardwood grips on it. Next upgrade will be a set of low-light combat sights to replace those lousy GI sights.
Stew, that is basically wy I bought this. I want to do things that I wouldn't do to My Colts as I don't think this SA will have any collector value. Of course that is probably what they said about the Colt SAA in 1932. :lol: Btw the comp barrel bushing is off, I didn't like the look. Maybe a blued one would be Ok.
Do U have a pic of Your Hogues ? I kinda like the ones on this Gun.
Perry
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Grats on your new family member Perry, hope it serves ya well. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Looks like a nice piece. Had a Springfield milspec that I carried daily for years, much of it in a Mexican holster :D . Seemed a little finicky with factory stuff. Never failed on my reloads. I liked it ok, someday I'd like to have an original Colt just for nostalgia.

1911's are what you show your friends, Glocks are what you show your enemies. :lol: :P :P :P
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Perry - extensive list of loads if you are ever interested. Mine seemed to work with anything until gummed up after about 500 rds.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

pwl44m wrote:OS, I doubt I will ever put that many through it but it is nice to know it is capable.
Perry
Mine is 23 years old and still going strong, put 100 rds thru it yesterday. I would hate to try to guess how many rounds thru it.

I called this cat in on a crisp Jan. morning in the desert and shot it with my Springfield.

__ J
Last edited by J35 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

And here is a Javelina that got Springfield 45'ed.

--J
Last edited by J35 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thx for the comments Guys.
OS, I've never loaded for the 45, I have a pretty good stash of factory ammo.
J35, that looks like some kind of Fun

Perry
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That is all good to bullet for the right job and all.

Nice work J35. Not many doing it your way.

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Nice really like the bayonet. I have Springfield 45 plain jane to. Need to shoot it more.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

pwl44m wrote:Picked up My new 45 today, nuthin special just been wanting another 45. This one came up so I bought it. Going up to My propety Thurs. so I will run some rounds thru it. I had a comp barrel bushing so I stuck it on it and a Chip McCormick 10 rnd Mag just for kicks. The Knife in the Pic is a Cammilus US N Mk2 that I picked up today also. Got a couple pics of the new one and a Group shot of all My 1911s.- 1 SA, 1 Remington Rand and 2 Colts.
Perry
So how does it shoot?

Does SA still use the two piece barrel?

What brand mag. came with it?

Thanks--J
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

2 piece barrel- whatchu talkin bout J35 ? haven't had it apart.
Didn't get up to the property so haven't fired it yet.
I had a set of Hogue grips in My safe so I put them on it. They feel pretty good, fills the hand a little better.
Perry
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

3leggedturtle wrote:Nice really like the bayonet. I have Springfield 45 plain jane to. Need to shoot it more.
@ Turtle, it's a US N fighting knife. I had one that the tip had been broken and reground and it was about 1/4 inch shorter. No collector value. This one is as issued with a little sheath wear and it is razor sharp. The leather handle is very dry but I dont want to do anything to it till I find out if I should. U know how it is with collector stuff- U can mess it up by fixin it. :o
Perry
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

pwl44m wrote:2 piece barrel- whatchu talkin bout J35 ? haven't had it apart.
Didn't get up to the property so haven't fired it yet.
I had a set of Hogue grips in My safe so I put them on it. They feel pretty good, fills the hand a little better.
Perry
They say a picture is worth a 1000 words

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=247272

scroll down and there is a picture of a two piece barrel.

What brand magazine came with your SA?

--J
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Well I'll be, never heard of such a thing. Will have to check that out and see what Mag it has. It only came with one.
Perry
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Thanks Perry

J35, thanks for the link, I need to check mine out to see if it is a 2 piece.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Perry, I would worry none about the barrel question raised here if I were you. I've got an 1988 built SA 1911, it's got the two piece. It's never bothered me and I've never bothered it :lol: Mine was made before SA started making all the different models they have now. Those models other posters have mentioned came along a decade or more after my early 1911-A1. That 2 piece must work or they'd have given up on it long ago, and increased the price accordingly. Mine's had several thousand rounds through it, ...up to this point.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

It is in fact a 2 piece barrel, almost invisble- had to use a magnifying glass to see the seam. The magazine has no markings other than 45ACP.
Perry
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

No nothing wrong with the two piece barrel, I was just curious .

I believe even some of the Colts have two piece barrels.

Mine came with a shooting star magazine.

--- J
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I believe the Browning Hi-Power has a two piece barrel. My buddies does, anyway.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Cmon Derek, now I have to go check My Hi Power. It is an Argentine Hi power so it prolly has a 3 piece. :lol:
Perry
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

pwl44m wrote:Cmon Derek, now I have to go check My Hi Power. It is an Argentine Hi power so it prolly has a 3 piece. :lol:
Perry
I wouldn't worry about it. My buddies is a .40 cal and he accidentally(negligently) sent a double charged reload down the barrel.
It bulged his barrel. We found a factory take-off from Cylinder and Slide. He dropped it in and she runs good as new. If you saw the bulged barrel you would see that the seam held just fine.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I have a twenty or so year old SA mil-spec. It has an NM serial number and it also has a two piece barrel. I've done a few mods but left the barrel as it shoots great and is very reliable. I wouldn't give it any worry if you have a two piece barrel. If there ever is a problem, SA has great customer service and will make it right.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

No worries Guys, it was just a curve ball. It never entered My mind. Now can anyone tell Me Why ? It surely has to be a Cost thing.
Perry
Forrest Halley
Levergunner

Post by Forrest Halley »

If you use stake on replacement sights instead of having a dovetail cut...wide tenon.

I had a mil spec for a few years and it served me fine. Killed a seven point buck with it that was very determined to live. Don't recommend hydrashoks; they just don't expand at all after hitting fur.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Been wanting to shoot this thing all week. Had in it's little lock box on the seat beside Me. Ammo in the back seat just in case Johnny wants to talk to Me although I haven't been pulled over in about 30 years. No body seems to be quite sure about the rules.
Anyway when I got ready to head Home today I figured I would give it a whirl. Loaded up 2mags and it cycled them just fine, not a dent one in the cases-perfectly round. I loaded the mags up again and commenced firing. I tried to drop the empty mag as quick as I could and run the other one through. I definitly aint no quik draw McGraw but it cycled those flawlessly also. I'm happy with that, I've had Colts that wouldn't do that out of the box. I guess Stove pipe was Colts trademark. :lol:
:D Perry
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Perry, as far as carrying a pistol in a vehicle in CA and the law, I always understood it to be gun in locked case and that both gun and ammo can't be accessible to the driver. Not that I cared when I lived there. As far as I'm concerned, going along with laws that violate civil rights is the same as supporting them. Btw, you can thank none other than Saint Ronald Reagan for those vehicle gun laws.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

sore shoulder,
Thanks
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I bought a Mil-Spec a few years back, wouldn't shoot for beans, on the order of 8-9 inch groups at 25yds. Called Springfield and they said send it back and sent a shipping tag. It returned in about 3 weeks as a 2" or better gun. They have excellant customer service.