Winchester Model 1892 Production Survey

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester Model 1892 Production Survey

Post by twobit »

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and have been collecting Winchesters for just over a year.
At 21 rifles I have a nice variety and some special ones.

I have begun a survey of the production variations of the Model 1892 and intend on
covering the entire production range of just over a million rifles. Yeah I am sure I'm
nuts to take this on but being a science kind of guy, collecting data and analyzing
it is just part of me. So far I have looked at 535 rifles for the survey and hope to
have several thousand down the road. The furthest rifle so far is from New Zealand.
If you have one or one dozen and would like to make some data available for the
project that would be great. I will be glad to let you know how your rifle fits into
the serial number range around it. All data will be kept confidential and eventually
I intend to publish a long article documenting the variations as they pertain to serial
number and date of production. I can be reached at 2bitrifles@gmail.com I have
reference material and a spread sheet with easy instructions to help you. Any photos
will gladly be accepted.

Thanks so much in advance.
Michael
Michael Puzio
Winchester Model 1892 Collector, Research & Valuations
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Winchester Model 1892 Production Survey

Post by Haycock »

First off, welcome to the forum.

Now... just a thought here... and one offered with all due respect...

It seems a bit awkward to sign up, intro yourself, then immediately request serial numbers...... I appreciate what you say you are trying to accomplish, but I wouldn't expect too many takers.... for example, if I had a '92 (I don't) I would absolutely not send my serial number to an unknown entity............

Haycock
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Hello Haycock,

No offense taken at all. I realize that folks are all over the spectrum with regard to releasing serial numbers. I do sometimes chuckle when I look at a retailers site that has the last three digits listed as x's and then a photo of the entire number???? I have been active at the WACA forum for over a year now and recognize a few of the folks here as being from there also. Bert Hartman and I exchange data often and others here might/maybe/should/hopefully vouch for me. I certainly do not plan to list anyones serial number data in a public forum but only use then to sequentially order the variations found on the rifles. All data will be held confidential by me.

I have had quite a good response from folks for this project. There is a fairly large gun store here in Hosuton that has allowed me to catalog their entire inventory. I just attended a collectors show here in town and had very great success and added 21 rifles from that effort. Everybody was very supportive and also very interested in the input I could offer as to the correctness of certain items on guns they owned or may be interested in purchasing in the future. This effort might not be for everybody but I hope that as I hang around here and hopefully build up some pedigree more collectors will recognize the value in the effort and want to support it.

I put in a reply to a post last night regarding the rarity of short magazine carbines that you might want to look at.
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=27550

Thanks for your input.
Michael
Michael Puzio
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

Michael is doing some serious study on the 1892s, which in my opinion is severely lacking.

I have talked with him, and provided data on 92s that I have/know about. I like his approach, and think once he publishes it will be very informative.

Highly recommend if you have a Winchester 1892, you might want to drop him a line

V/R

Mike
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Although I lusted after several... I've never owned one. Would certainly help otherwise. Good luck, and Welcome to the Forum, Michael.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Mike,
Thanks for the kind words and the data on your rifles.

Griff,
You need to go shopping and pick one up!

Josh,
Thanks for being the first to send in some photos on your nice old rifle. I have only three which are older than yours. One of them is SN #1. As I said in the email your barrel is definitely replaced as you knew. But if you will pass on the location of the caliber stamp I will be able to better able to narrow down the time frame of when it may have occured. The barrel address types and locations and the location of the caliber stamp changed over time. In conjunction with the introduction of proof marks on the barrel it will fall into a specific time frame. It may still be a few years in length but that is better than "I don't know"

Thanks for the support,
Michael
Last edited by twobit on Tue May 25, 2010 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Puzio
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

twobit, I have a Winchester 1892 24 inch round barrel rifle in 32wcf. The serial number dates it to 1917. I tried to take some pictures tonite but the light was not right, my grandson said he would take some tomorrow when he comes in from work. He has a much better camera than mine.
I bought the rifle from an uncle in early 1954. I will email the pictures and serial number to you then.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
jbeicker
Levergunner

Post by jbeicker »

I just wanted to let everyone know that I sent Twobit some pictures of my rifle and he has confirmed that it was re barreled and is attempting to give me a date range of when it was done. I think this is awesome for him to do especially for free. If any of you would like some info on your 92 I would at least give him a shot at what he is trying to do. He should be able to help you along with you helping him along on his survey.

Just my 2 cents.

Jbeicker
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

jbeiker wrote:
I think this is awesome for him to do especially for free.
Free??? You just haven't received the invoice for a cold beer yet!
I am still working on the proof mark question.

Dallas,

Thanks for the data on your two fine rifles. And for clearing up the Stainless barrel question.
That is a bummer on the scope mount holes on the side of the one gun. You just never know
what goes through the head of some folks. Probably just had eyes that got too old for open
sights any longer but still wanted to shoot it. Can't fault him too hard for that.

The link to the retailers Down Under was a big help. Grabbed 20 new rifles for the survey from it.
I put out lots of requests for additional photos to cover all the info I need on them. I need a local
"gofer"to go and collect data for me. The plane fare would make it a bit uneconomic for me. Too bad they
don't post more photos of each rifle. This guy here does a fantastic job of portraying what he
has for sale. http://www.joesalter.com/ No doubt what you are buying!

It is interesting that so many of the 1892 rifles in your neighborhood have button magazines on them.
That configuration is not common around here.
Edited in the link to the 'Down Under' listing of rifles:
http://usedguns.com.au/used_Lever_guns.html#Lever_guns

Thanks again,
Michael
Last edited by twobit on Thu May 27, 2010 6:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michael Puzio
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Michael,

I posted a link to your e-mail and a short explanation in my blog. I seem to remember you from someplace but can't quite place it...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Hobie wrote:
I seem to remember you from someplace but can't quite place it...
That was not me with your wife!! I swear it!
Maybe a photo in the post office?

We are the same age and I grew up in Michigan but have been in Texas for 30 years.

Thanks for the link in your blog. The response has been quite favorable here. I do believe
everybody wants a bit better understanding of the rifles they have. It is always interesting
when somebody says " I never knew they were different!!"

Michael
Michael Puzio
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Good morning,

Nothing like a Monday morning off from the office. Got up, poured the cofee, ran the flag up the pole, and called Dad to thank him for 30 years of service to his country.

It has been a good end of May for the 1892 survey. I have added 180 rifles to the project in the last 7 days and the total count is just above 700! Thanks to all who have helped with the data on your guns. The 'furthest away rifle' has gone from Austria to New Zeeland to Australia now. It might be hard to best that one. I had one gun added that is located about 3 miles from where I lived during college in Michigan.

Since we all like photos of our guns I thought I might add a shot of a special one I have.

Thanks again for your help.
Please send more.
Michael
Michael Puzio
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Very nice.
Old Law Dawg
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Hello to all again,

Back in May when I first posted here I had just over 530 rifles in the survey. I have now eclipsed 1400 rifles and have no intention of quitting any time soon.
I have a pretty darn good idea of just what your rifle ought to look like for any serial number and caliber. But there is still a long way to go to narrow down
the transition accuracy for the change from one type of tang stamp to another or some other similar change. Eventually I will try to also give some idea of
the production breakdown by caliber and configuration statistics. To do this, many many more rifles will be needed for the data base. Thanks to all who have
been so kind to help by adding their guns to the effort. I hope that I have been able to give you a better understanding of your rifle and made owning it just a
bit more enjoyable.

I appreciate anyone who wants to help with the survey.
Happy Holidays
Michael
Michael Puzio
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

twobit wrote:Hello to all again,

Back in May when I first posted here I had just over 530 rifles in the survey. I have now eclipsed 1400 rifles and have no intention of quitting any time soon.
I have a pretty darn good idea of just what your rifle ought to look like for any serial number and caliber. But there is still a long way to go to narrow down
the transition accuracy for the change from one type of tang stamp to another or some other similar change. Eventually I will try to also give some idea of
the production breakdown by caliber and configuration statistics. To do this, many many more rifles will be needed for the data base. Thanks to all who have
been so kind to help by adding their guns to the effort. I hope that I have been able to give you a better understanding of your rifle and made owning it just a
bit more enjoyable.

I appreciate anyone who wants to help with the survey.
Happy Holidays
Michael

Thats a beauty!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Thanks Rhimfire,

It is definitely the fanciest one I have.
Engraved 1892 rifles are very rare.
That rifle was manufactured during 1894.

Michael
Michael Puzio
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Thanks for the update on your project. Looking forward to hearing more on your progress.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I have a couple 92s. If U chek my posts I put pics and a few details when I aquired them. Don't know about Ser.#s. If they r not there I will send them.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

Sounds like a great project that will benefit a lot of people! That is one gorgeous 92 you
posted! Would it be possible to see the engraving on the other side?

Thanks,
John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Winchester Model 1892 Production Survey/Reference Materi

Post by twobit »

John in MS wrote:
That is one gorgeous 92 you
posted! Would it be possible to see the engraving on the other side?
Thanks John and you absolutely can.
And I will throw in an extra also.
Michael
Last edited by twobit on Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Puzio
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Perry in Bangor,

Let me figure out how to find your posts regarding your 1892's and I will gladly add them
to the effort. If I don't have any luck I will PM you later today and beg for data.

Thanks
Michael
Michael Puzio
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

Wow! Thanks very much, Michael! The underside was an unexpected treat! I've seen the
line drawings of some of the engraving patterns, but not a photo of an engraved 92 like this.
Also, the line drawings I've seen haven't shown the underside. VERY NICE!!

Thanks again!
john
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

John,

I am glad that you enjoyed the pics. The percentage of engraved Model 1892 rifles is extremely small. Probably less than 2 tenths of 1%! So out of just over a million rifles being made there might have been at most 2000 of them produced. Some day via the work I am doing I hope to be able to develope a large statistical spreadsheet of many different characteristics and the percentages of production.

I am very lucky to own this particular rifle. And my check book is significantly lighter!

Happy New Year
Michael
Michael Puzio
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hi fellow levergunners -

Just wanted to put in a plug to help support Michael's project here. I exchanged several e-mails over the last week or so with Michael detailing information on my Winchester 1892 "Stinger", which I purchased here from our very own hfcable. Even subjected Michael to my horrible photography skills.

This is such a worthy topic. If you have an original Winchester model 1892, please consider sending Michael some information on your firearm. We all love finding treasure troves of information on the various guns we love and use, but somewhere along the line someone has to do the grunt work to research all of this. Michael is doing that for one of our favorite lever-actions!
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Merry Christmas to all,

The Model 1892 Survey is going quite well. I now have just a few over 2700 rifles in the data base. By now the major differences
made during production are fairly well defined but narrowing down the gaps from one style to the next is fairly wide in some instances. It is
still going to take several thousand more rifle before meaningful statistics can be generated pertaining to caliber and configuration
variations.

If any one is looking at one of these rifles and wants to know if it is 'right' before pulling out the cash let me know and send pics of possible
and I will be glad to look it over for you. Contact me wit hquestions or rifle information. 2bitrifles@gmail.com

And as a Christmas present to all the photo lovers I tossed in a small portion of my 1892 collection for you to enjoy.

Merry Christmas
Michael
Michael Puzio
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Dang Michel, you must have pulled all those out of the same litter! Aren't you kinda' getting stuck in a rut?
Anyway, nice rut to get stuck in, and very nice pictures. Thanks!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Mike, I am still waiting...

Remember from the Winchester Collectors Forum?

twobit
To: Shrapnel
Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:58 pm
Subject: Your Model 1892's
Shrapnel,

I am very sorry. I obviously dropped the ball and did not get back to you. If you will please send me your SN's I'll let you now how your rifles fit. I have almost 1300 rifles in the survey now and am working on a mountain of corresponding data.

Again I apologize,
Michael

Thanks, I am sure you have something, I was just wondering when I might hear back...Shrapnel

Here are some pictures...

This is a photocopy of the page from the actual records from Winchester where the gun is listed. It was sold out of the Montana Armory in Bozeman, Montana.

twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Shrapnel,

I have spent the last 20 minutes removing the egg on my face. I have no excuse except for dead brain cells.
Here is what I can tell you with regard to your rifle: You obviously have the ledger data for it so not much new there.

The barrel address is the third style found on the round barrrels of either SRC's or sporting rifles. In these three
variations the wording is consistent but the difference results from the type and location of the dashes before and
after the two lines of print. Your rifle is getting toward the end of this BA usage and by SN 200,000 the address
has changed to a totally different wording which includes the October 1884 patent date.

The caliber stamp found on the top of the barrel is correct and the location does not change untill well into the usage
of proof stamps on the barrels around the mid 400,000 range when the caliber stamp is applied to the left side of the barrel.

The upper tang stamp found on your gun is found on the first 240,000 rifles with only a few variation depending on the
omission of the periods at the right end of the upper an lower lines of type. The wording is consistent throughout.

The rear sight is not original to the rifle and the wood look like it has been sanded at some time as it is low to the tang
surfaces and flat to the receiver face.

This is the only rifle I have in my survey with the Bozeman Armory stamp on the stock. If you have any please questions
do not hesitate to ask. I WILL be more prompt.

Thanks
Michael
Last edited by twobit on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Puzio
Nicknack
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Nicknack »

Gday Michael I found a Model 53/65 and assortment of 92's In Australia small pics only,If I wasn't so stint I would buy the model 53.
http://www.usedguns.com.au/used_Lever_guns.html
32-20 Carbine #646157

32-20 Rifle length Take Down #50181

32-20 Rifle length #869394

Model 65 218 BEE #1004738

Take Down Model 53 32-20 #7305

Regards Dallas
You Might find these links very interesting they are scanned advertisements from Perry Brothers the importers of Winchesters into Brisbane Queensland "THE STINGER"
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/page/25 ... oomLevel=1
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/22266646
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/22265018
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's dead easy to die; it's the keeping on living that's hard - Douglas Mawson - Scientist and polar survivor
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Dallas,

I greatly appreciate the effort. Thank you.
I know a couple guys working the same sort of project on the Model 53 and 65 rifes and Iwill pass those rifles on to them.

Like the Beatles said "I get by with a little help from my friends!"

Thanks
Michael
Michael Puzio
Nicknack
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Nicknack »

Found another one for you Michael, a 1892 32WCF 15'' carbine # 733318 Regards Dallas
http://www.usedguns.com.au/used_guns_whats_new.html
Genuine 15" barrelled trapper, all original. Splits to wood on LHS of forestock and RHS wrist near tang. Small chip out of wood where wrist meets receiver. Good clean wood and bore. Excellent action
733318.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's dead easy to die; it's the keeping on living that's hard - Douglas Mawson - Scientist and polar survivor
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Happy New Year Dallas,

I appreciate it again. That is a pretty nice looking rifle in am uncommon configuration.
I have emailed for some more photos of the details. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Michael
Michael Puzio
Nicknack
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Nicknack »

Another one for you Michael this time a model 65 in 32-20 #1000921
Regards Dallas
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Hello everyone,

I am still at it with the Model 1892/92 survey. I have 3731 rifles in the effort and would like to eventually have 10,000 rifles so that the statistical analysis is as accurate as possible. I can not do this without the help of the other collectors, shooters, and enthusiasts out there and on this forum. If you have one rifle or a dozen of them I would love to addthem into the work. I will need photos of all the stamped writing on the rifle and the SN of each gun. I will be glad to answer any questions you might have either here or via email at 2bitrifles@gmail.com You can read more, either earlier in this post, or at this link: http://www.winchestercollector.org/foru ... php?t=3460

Thanks so much.
I truly appreciate any help and support.
Michael
Last edited by twobit on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Puzio
Nicknack
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Nicknack »

Hi Michael another Model 65 in 25-20 #1002376 in Australia
model 65 25 20 1002376.jpg
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

To all,

Since my last post in September while I was traveling throughout Italy I have added another 411 rifles to the 1892 survey thus puting me at 4142. Slowly but surely I am making progress. Thanks to the guys who have contacted me via this link with data on their rifles. If anybody has any 1892 saddle ring carbines that are 25-20 WCF caliber and have the two line caliber stamp on the barrel please contact me. This is an uncommon style of stamp used on these guns. I am trying to document just when they were used.

Of course I will take any information on anyones rifles. This is not just a "high condition guns" party. Each and every rifle is important to helping determine the makeup of the entier production run.

Thanks again
Michael
Michael Puzio
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Did ya find out any thing on my 25-20

ollogger/ Brad
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Hello Brad,

I am sorry but after searching my emails I do not find any information regarding a Model 1892 in 25-20 from you.
Can you please resend it to me at 2bitrifles@gmail.com

Thanks
Michael
Michael Puzio
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

twobit wrote:Hello Brad,

I am sorry but after searching my emails I do not find any information regarding a Model 1892 in 25-20 from you.
Can you please resend it to me at 2bitrifles@gmail.com

Thanks
Michael

No, we was in contact a few months back, pix were sent & every thing was ok till now

ollogger
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Hello Brad,

Success! With the serial number I found the original set of photographs which you had sent me
but sadly the original email discussion is gone from my computer.

So here is what I can tell you.
The receiver was serialized on the 25th of November in 1912. There is a pretty good chance the rifle was
fully assembled and in the warehouse by the end of that year. Here in the U.S. the serialization date is
the technical date of manufacture but for me it would be a bit later, when all the parts actually are assembled
to make a functioning rifle. So yours is late 1912 or very early 1913. Either way it is 100 years by now!

All of the stamp styles and placements are correct for it's serial number range. The tang stamp and barrel
address stamp are the most common style found on Model 1892 rifles. The wood may have been lightly sanded
and refinished at some time in the past. If so it was long ago and the use since has discolored the wood again.

Your standard sporting rifle is in very common condition for a rifle that has been well used but not terribly
abused over its life. It is on the low end of what serious collectors are looking for but should be a fine shooting
rifle if the bore is in good shape.

Thanks again and sorry for "loosing" you for a while.
I appreciate your effort

Michael
Michael Puzio
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Hello to all,

Easy to use reference guide for the survey.

I finally found several hours to spend and put together an "on line assistant" to help people delineate the characteristics of their 1892's
and then send me information without the need to post or send me photos of the rifles. Over on the Guunbroker.com "Ask The Experts"
forum there is a sticky right at the top of the page that has a photo heavy reference section to help determine how your rifle fits into the
data I am collecting. Just jot down on a piece of paper each point and then email me the information. This will be the most efficient
method and will keep each rifle in an individual line of correspondence. If you want to send photos that is still very fine with me. I love the
photos and there may be some other feature that is included that is important.

Here is the link and I hope this is helpful. I am almost to 5000 rifles in the work. I appreciate every gun I get. Thanks to everyone for their
help and effort. I am always willing to answer any questions you might have. My email is included in that posting.
http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=606355

Thanks
Michael
Michael Puzio
jphi13
Levergunner

Post by jphi13 »

This is a great initiative,
You have the info about my two cherished relics.
I will relay the information to my shooting club mates. I hope that everyone reading this forum will do the same, so that your Survey is as complete as possible.

good luck !

JPhi
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

JPhi,

This is a fun project and only possible with the help of collectors from around the world. There were tens of thousands of Model 1892 rifles
which were exported out of the US and it is great to be able to get a sample of some of them. If your shooting club has a website please let
me know and I will post something there. Feel free to pass on my email address which is in the initial post of this thread.

Thanks and have fun shooting
Michael
Michael Puzio
jphi13
Levergunner

Post by jphi13 »

The club has no website, we try to play low profile ...
I'll pass the word anyway

jphi
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Hello,

It has been almost 4 years since I started this research effort to identify what and when the various changes were made during the production span of the Model 1892 rifles.
Right now I have 5,811 rifles catalogued. I still want another 4,000 or so. Anyone can contact me at my email 2bitrifles@gmail.com or via private messages from this site,
or post your information and/or questions here and I will be glad to reply. This reference material will make the entire effort simple. I do love photos that may show some
unique feature or problem with the rifle. http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=606355

Looking forward to helping in any way.
Michael
Michael Puzio
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

It has been 4 years since I gave this post a "bump" up the topic line so I figure it is time to do a bit of self promotion.

I started my research of the Model 1892 rifles almost 8 years ago and now have collected data on just over 12,300 individual rifles. Yes it has take an unbelievable amount of time at the computer searching auctions and online sales sites. In it all, I am in contact with wonderful people literally all over the planet who help in this effort and am so thankful for their help. There were tens of thousands of Winchester rifles shipped outside the U.S. and it is so meaningful to have them represented in the research. If you have a Mode l1892/92 rifle, regardless of the condition I am interested in adding it into the work. I am happy to answer any question you might have about your rifle and more than willing to give an estimate of what it might be worth.

Scroll back to the first post of this thread to find what I need or just email me at 2bitrifles@gmail.com

All the best and Merry Christmas
Michael
Michael Puzio
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Thanks much Yooper2 for the PM with information regarding your rifle. I have added it into my survey. Any chance you live in the UP of Michigan?

Michael
Michael Puzio
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

This is # 269815. 1904?? .44 wcf. I was told it came off a Indian reservation in the Dakota`s. It has a leather wrist stock repair, the hammer spur was broke off and the rifling is gone. Unfortunately it was stole out of my house in 2003 in california along with some other old western guns I had.
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Booger Bill wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:05 pm This is # 269815. 1904?? .44 wcf. I was told it came off a Indian reservation in the Dakota`s. It has a leather wrist stock repair, the hammer spur was broke off and the rifling is gone. Unfortunately it was stole out of my house in 2003 in california along with some other old western guns I had.
Thanks so much. Yes it was a 1904 vintage saddle ring carbine. I appreciate the help. Every rifle is another little piece of the puzzle.

Michael
Michael Puzio