OT-Ruger #1 in 405 Win

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

OT-Ruger #1 in 405 Win

Post by WCF3030 »

At a local shop I pass by everyday they have a "used" Ruger #1 in 405 stainless that looks new for around $650.

I've done some research into rounds and loads.
Although 300gr at 2200fps should do the trick :wink: I'm always interested in loads for the stronger Ruger action.

Like some of the loads Jeff Quin hinted at in his article.

Any opinions or experience would be appreciated.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

If you are talking jacketed bullets, there is a very limited selection of bullets that will withstand any increase in velocity over factory unless you are looking at the heavier (400 grain) bullet intended for the 450-400. The Hornady 300 grain offerings certainly are NOT up the task of higher impact velocities. I think you will see more and more of these rechambered to the 450-400. In ten years, the 405 R#1 might be a collector item.
k8bor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by k8bor »

I looked on Loadata and can only find one listing for loads with 400 grain bullets for the .450-400. Does someone have more ballistic info to add with bullet weights, etc.?

I know I'm pretty ignorant on such things, but this is the first I've heard of the caliber and was intrigued. Can you get more out of this than the .45-70?
de k8bor

Dave
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Barnes 325's & 350"s are what I have tried in my #1. If it had a better trigger, I could probably do better than 1 1/4" at 100yds, with mine. Have a mould from Mountain Moulds for a 325gr boolit, but no range time yet.
Don McDowell

Re: OT-Ruger #1 in 405 Win

Post by Don McDowell »

WCF3030 wrote:At a local shop I pass by everyday they have a "used" Ruger #1 in 405 stainless that looks new for around $650.

I've done some research into rounds and loads.
Although 300gr at 2200fps should do the trick :wink: I'm always interested in loads for the stronger Ruger action.

Like some of the loads Jeff Quin hinted at in his article.

Any opinions or experience would be appreciated.
It won't matter if the rifle is a #1 or not 2400 fps with a 300 gr bullet is going to be the size of it. There's only so much room in that case for powder and by the time you get 55-60 grs in its full.
Since Northfork has stopped bullet production a person is only left to mediocracy in bullet selection for the 405. Hornady's are to soft, altho the dgr selections might work better but its going to depend on if the rifle will shoot the ..410 bullets.
I really like the 405 but think Leverluver is correct that most all the 405 chambered rifles could have a good bit of collectors value in 10 years.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

k8bor

The 450-400 will go well beyond the 45-70. The brass (any brass) will never be cheap again but Hornady will make it and, in today's scenario, it will be "reasonable". Just like the 405, there are not many bullets available between the 300 and 400 grain levels. In my experience, the 300s are not much more than deer bullets and the 400s are made more for Africa. Maybe some others will come along if it gets more popular.

The standard (and factory) loads for the 450-400 are mild by today's standards (<40KSI) since they were originally (and still are) developed for double rifles. The Ruger will take much more than that but it is doubtful that many people will want to, as the recoil will go up to pretty radical levels. I don't doubt that if you really felt the need, that you could come up with loads that would drive a 400 grain bullet to 2350+fps.

The barrels (and bullets) are being standardized at .410 groove diameter so be careful of mono bullets in excess of that size. [FYI, I also think the 405s made by Ruger are .410 groove so that would apply to those also, so be careful]

If you do not need the extra capability of the 450-400 and will gravitate toward more fun cast loads, I recommend sticking with the 405. The 450-400 is a large case and will be much more fussy when loading wimpy loads.
Boge Quinn
Shootist

Post by Boge Quinn »

Send Jeff an email, he's good about sharing his data: jeff@gunblast.com.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If they've had it for a while it might be a good one to try and talk down some. It might then be a good candidate to have it re barreled in something else.
I have a #1 in .308 that's wonderful.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Boge Quinn
Shootist

Post by Boge Quinn »

That's a good price on a fine gun, and a wonderful cartridge.
k8bor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by k8bor »

Thanks guys.

I think I'll stay where I am. I've loaded .45-70's into the .450 marlin range before, and I don't need any more discomfort than that. I just never heard of that caliber before.

I'm more of a 350 gr. cast in the 1,500-1,600fps range type of guy.

tnx agn
de k8bor

Dave
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Boge Quinn wrote:Send Jeff an email, he's good about sharing his data: jeff@gunblast.com.
Thanks Boge I'll do that.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Can't remember the load he used but (can't remember his name either :shock: ) some retired, red headed colnel (sp?) and his daughter used a Ruger #1 in 405 to take an Austrailian water buffalo. I think it was a 300gr bullet but can't swear to it.

Sorry for the blank brain, but am at work and mentally worn out.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

handirifle wrote:Can't remember the load he used but (can't remember his name either :shock: ) some retired, red headed colnel (sp?) and his daughter used a Ruger #1 in 405 to take an Austrailian water buffalo. I think it was a 300gr bullet but can't swear to it.

Sorry for the blank brain, but am at work and mentally worn out.
Handi,

This would be the article a good read.
http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ammunition/bully_041805/
CBinNH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CBinNH »

I picked up a #1 in 405 this winter. I am just beginning to do some cast bullet loading for it. I bought some 300 gr from our site sponsor Montana Bullet Works. Also bought some 325's (actual weight with gas check & lube 350 gr). A logging operation around my range has kept me from testing my first loads with the 350's. I am using AA5744 at Don McDowells' recommendation & it is showing promise for the moderate loads I am looking to plink with. 1500 to 1700 fps slays paper good enough for me & is easy on my shoulder. The Barnes 300 gr X bullet has been discontinued, but the Triple Shock is being produced. The X bullets are still showing up on the auction sites. Either one of these should hold up to any velocity you could get out of a 405. I emailed Accurate Arms Powder for load data & their top listed loads for a 400 gr bullet are 1800-1900 fps. Hodgdon data claims 1945 fps with a 400 gr using H4895 powder. Just passing along what I have been learning. Here is a link to the article Handirifle is referring to : http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ammunition/bully_041805/
Chris
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

CBinNH wrote:I picked up a #1 in 405 this winter. I am just beginning to do some cast bullet loading for it. I bought some 300 gr from our site sponsor Montana Bullet Works. Also bought some 325's (actual weight with gas check & lube 350 gr). A logging operation around my range has kept me from testing my first loads with the 350's. I am using AA5744 at Don McDowells' recommendation & it is showing promise for the moderate loads I am looking to plink with. 1500 to 1700 fps slays paper good enough for me & is easy on my shoulder. The Barnes 300 gr X bullet has been discontinued, but the Triple Shock is being produced. The X bullets are still showing up on the auction sites. Either one of these should hold up to any velocity you could get out of a 405. I emailed Accurate Arms Powder for load data & their top listed loads for a 400 gr bullet are 1800-1900 fps. Hodgdon data claims 1945 fps with a 400 gr using H4895 powder. Just passing along what I have been learning. Here is a link to the article Handirifle is referring to : http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ammunition/bully_041805/
Chris
Thanks.
Keep us informed.[/img]
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

I picked one NIB from gunbroker last fall. Paid $620.00 I got such a good deal that I'm 95% certain that I'll rechamber it for the 450/400. Hornady is making the brass and hopefully the dies soon.
CBinNH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CBinNH »

I just snapped a couple shots of mine. Like foxtrapper, got a good
deal on Gunbroker ($586). I decided to try a New England Custom
Gun peep sight & like it. My range distance is limited & my taste in
scopes is kind of pricy, so it works for me for now. Chris
Last edited by CBinNH on Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I picked up a .405 Win 1895 a couple of years back.
My enthusiasm has been dampened by the outrageous price of brass and the lack of any selection of bullets.
I would go for a #1 in 45-70 or .458 Win, but never a .405Win.
Either of the .45s shuld be able to push a 300 gr bullet fast enough to shade the .405 in a #1.

Jack
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

I had one in blue/walnut. There is not a lot available for reloading and it is expensive. I sold it. Was OK, but nothing that I could not do without. I liked the Marlin Cowboy 45-70 much better, and cheaper!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

On the subject of bullets, has anyone seen or shot the new Winchester .405 ammo they brought out with the TR commemoritive rifles?

http://www.winchester.com/products/cata ... bol=X405TR

It would be interesting to know what bullets they are using in those cartridges. :?:
Last edited by crs on Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

crs wrote:On the subject of bullets, has anyone seen or shot the new Winchester .405 ammo they brought out with the TR commemoritive rifles?
It would be interesting to know what bullets they are using in those cartridges.
It is my understanding that they are 300gr Hornady's.

I still find myself wanting one because of the history, that I have over a dozen book about or written by TR and that know one else I know has one.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Hmm guess I hadn't paid any attention, didn't know about the TR or the ammo :oops:
Would be interesting to see if they just brought the old tools out of storage and went to stamping bullets and cases , just like they always did?
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT-Ruger #1 in 405 Win

Post by KWK »

Don McDowell wrote:Since Northfork has stopped bullet production...
I hadn't heard that. They had such a superb reputation, I'm surprised. Did he loose interest in the business, or did the high price of metals combined with a small scale operation price him out of business, or...?
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Its my understanding the high cost of copper, and problems with getting the quality they required, just made it to hard for them to keep on building the quality combined with affordability.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Try the Hawk bullets, a little more than say Noslers, but good bullets. Several jacket thicknesses and weights from 300 to 400 grains.

http://www.hawkbullets.com

Ed