Hello and a Model 94 question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rzepko6194
Levergunner

Hello and a Model 94 question

Post by rzepko6194 »

Hi, I just picked up a late 30's 94 carbine and have a question about cycling the lever. Mine works fairly smoothly except when the action is initially opened and the bolt engages the hammer. There's a definite resistance when the hammer reaches the halfcock position. Working the action quickly pretty much masks the issue. No issues when closing or if the hammer has already been cocked. The hammer and bolt underside both appear to be smooth. Is this normal for a 94? I also own a model 92, so maybe I'm just a wee bit spoiled! :D Thanks. JP
Hobie

Re: Hello and a Model 94 question

Post by Hobie »

Welcome. Yes, normal.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Hi & Welcome

Like Hobie said, I have a few 94s & each one is different, seems like the older the slicker

ollogger
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image and Welcom to THE Forum!

Yep, normal. You're winding up the mainspring to deliver enough force to pop that primer. What you might also be feeling is the carrier over coming its return spring and raising the carrier along with the lever "camming" over center in dropping the link down to gain the room inside for that length cartridge. There's a "bit" more going on inside a 94 than inside an 1892.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rzepko6194
Levergunner

Post by rzepko6194 »

Then I guess the 92 will still remain my favorite! Thanks. JP
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

rzepko6194 wrote:Then I guess the 92 will still remain my favorite! Thanks. JP
Same here; my .30-30 need was fulfilled with a Marlin 336.

However, I think the prettiest gun I've got is my (only) 1894 - a .375 Winchester 'Big Bore' model. That gun is so nice looking I could forgive any amount of 'rattle-and-clunk'... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Welcome and I wish they would fix that.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
1894c

Post by 1894c »

WELCOME...i really like the 'rattle-and-clunk' of a Win.94, let's people know where i am when i fall down... :)
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Buy several more 94s and compare! Yup, you'll find all your levergun answers and advise...with some humor added in...right here. Welcome!
victor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by victor »

Howdy,That's the same cycling feel I have with my '61'94.It has a pretty stiff main spring and makes me wonder why the 94 was designed with a strain screw.Whether the strain screw is in or out,I do not notice any difference(trigger pull or hammer thrust).
Vic
Winchester Model 94(61').32 Winchester Special
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Welcome !

Late 30's Model 94 ? No, that's not normal - Please send it to me for extensive testing.......... ;) . :mrgreen:

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

victor wrote:Howdy,That's the same cycling feel I have with my '61'94.It has a pretty stiff main spring and makes me wonder why the 94 was designed with a strain screw.Whether the strain screw is in or out,I do not notice any difference(trigger pull or hammer thrust).
Victor,

Having owned well over 14 Win 94s of most vintages here's my theory on the strain spring.

They put it in there to make it easier to assemble the rifle. Put the tang together, back the strain screw out to relieve some of the tension on the main spring then assemble the rifle and crank down the strain screw.

Probably isn't the real reason, but it works for me.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
victor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by victor »

Joe,
Your theory would not surprise me.I just read my original owners manual for the 94 and in the very short disassemble instructions it reads(CAUTION:Do not move main spring strain screw as this changes hammer blow and trigger pull.)If it does.I can't notice it.The screw in my 94 is in tight.I'm afraid if I back it off I'll end up losing it.
Vic
Winchester Model 94(61').32 Winchester Special