reload question: What causes this...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

reload question: What causes this...

Post by alnitak »

...and can I reload these cases?

I picked up a bunch of range brass and about half the cases have some sort of indentation in the cartridge. On most, it's about halfway down the case, though some have it higher or lower. BTW, this picture is after sizing.

Is this from hitting the ejector port? Can I reload these safely? Will they "fire form" and get rid of the crease/dent after firing, or will they be more prone to splitting?
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: reload question: What causes this...

Post by TedH »

They're just roughed up a bit getting spit out of the pistol they were shot in. They will be fine to reload and shoot.
NRA Life Member
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I've reloaded dented cases with no troubles. Kind of hard to tell exactly how sharp those creases in yours are from the photo. Looks like an on-site judgment call to me as to whether they'd be prone to crack or split. How do they look on the inside?
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I would use them without hesitation. They struck the ejection port on the way out.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Heck yeah, I've used worse than that.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

alnitak wrote:...and can I reload these cases?
I picked up a bunch of range brass and about half the cases have some sort of indentation in the cartridge. On most, it's about halfway down the case, though some have it higher or lower. BTW, this picture is after sizing.
Is this from hitting the ejector port? Can I reload these safely? Will they "fire form" and get rid of the crease/dent after firing, or will they be more prone to splitting?
Short answer: Yes.

Yes, that dent is from hitting the ejection port. Quite common, and unlikely to be a problem. It has to do with both the size & shape of the ejection port, combined with the speed of the action. Mine are almost all dented. Don'ta worry 'boutit! (Use your best Italian accent when you read that)! :lol:

I will say, that photo looks like you might have just a bit more bell in those case mouths than needed. Are you loading on a single stage or progressive?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Thanks guys...I figured that was the case. Just getting into reloading for.45acp, and haven't seen this before with the 9mm and revolver cartridges I've been reloading.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Griff wrote:I will say, that photo looks like you might have just a bit more bell in those case mouths than needed. Are you loading on a single stage or progressive?
Griff...it's an illusion from the photo (low angle?) and reflection/light. These cases have only been deprimed/sized...no belling yet. Still have to clean primer pockets and prime before using the expander die/Lee autodisk powder dropper in one step. I understand that with .45 acp you want minimal belling at the mouth, right? And, I use a single stage press, but I understand how it could happen with a progressive.

Thanks for pointing that out.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

alnitak wrote:
Griff wrote:I will say, that photo looks like you might have just a bit more bell in those case mouths than needed. Are you loading on a single stage or progressive?
Griff...it's an illusion from the photo (low angle?) and reflection/light. These cases have only been deprimed/sized...no belling yet. Still have to clean primer pockets and prime before using the expander die/Lee autodisk powder dropper in one step. I understand that with .45 acp you want minimal belling at the mouth, right? And, I use a single stage press, but I understand how it could happen with a progressive.
Thanks for pointing that out.
Sounds like you got it under control then. I wan't sure if it was an illusion, and if not, thought it worth mentioning. To great a bell makes it just that much harder to get the right taper back into the crimp, and thus, easy chambering.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Griff wrote:I wasn't sure if it was an illusion, and if not, thought it worth mentioning. To great a bell makes it just that much harder to get the right taper back into the crimp, and thus, easy chambering.
Absolutely worth mentioning. I'm finding the .45acp to be a bit different from 9mm/revolver cartridges in some respects, and have learned things like the "plunk test" and to measure the case at the crimp to ensure proper functioning (.468-.472...aiming for .470). Seems like 9mm is more forgiving in OAL and revolver/leverguns in crimp (generally use a med-hard there). Then there's the wrong data on Hodgdon/IMR site for OAL (1.200" vs. correct 1.250" or thereabouts for LRN). So, taking things slow and one step at a time.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Those cases are a perfect illustration why a properly set-up 1911 will have the ejection port lowered and dimpled. Helps preserve the brass.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS