Hard freeze in Arizona

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Hard freeze in Arizona

Post by olyinaz »

Prayers please for those of us in AZ. Already 29 (-2C) outside and dropping, and supposed to do it for three nights which is unusual. We don't often get a "hard freeze" in Tucson, but when we do it wreaks havoc with killed plants and busted water pipes all over town. Our yard and plantings were just recovering nicely from a hard freeze we had two years ago and they're saying this one is to be worse.

I'm very worried about some newer plantings and we've got old sheets out all over the place covering the plants, but I don't see how that can help when it's supposed to get down into the low 20s. :?

At any rate, please pray for mild temps and not too much damage across Southern Arizona.

Thanks,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Re: Hard freeze in Arizona

Post by Gobblerforge »

You will be fine. Sounds like your doing all that you can and your troubles are few. I try to always consider that no matter how bad the weather, it always changes for the better. Let's save our prayers and thoughts for somone realy in need, like Pitchy and Snoopy.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Couple years ago the house next door to me was empty and being remodeled no heat on , deep freeze, pipes burst more money on the remodel, ours was fine.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Gobblerforge wrote:You will be fine. Sounds like your doing all that you can and your troubles are few. I try to always consider that no matter how bad the weather, it always changes for the better. Let's save our prayers and thoughts for somone realy in need, like Pitchy and Snoopy.
Gobbler
Yep - 29 degrees sounds nice/warm, right about now................... :roll:

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

10 degrees cooler here, not usual. Nature in action.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

It just depends on how long the cold temps linger during the day.

Your freeze two years ago was bad because it stayed cold thru most of the day. Very unusual for Tucson .

IN 1985 or 86 I had 10* three nights in a row 17 miles S of Tucson but it warmed up into the high 40's during the day so not so bad, it killed one of my Grape fruit tree's, but the six orange tree's made it with just a few black leaves.

Stay warm-- J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Bummer to lose a grapefruit tree,
there is something special about grapefruit right from the tree.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Oly, I have my fingers crossed for you! Just checked the National Weather Service site for Tucson and it's cold for your neck of the woods all right, but at lest sunny and 40s during the day. You might consider putting black containers full of water or rock near your most important plantings, and then covering both with clear plastic. The black containers absorb heat during the day and keep temps up at night. Something else to consider -- and widely used here by the commercial pear orchards -- is sprinkling with water. The water actually forms an ice jacket that insulates the tender shoots and buds beneath. Doesn't make sense, but works. However, the pear orchard trees are pruned to take this weight without damage ...
Also, straw covered with black plastic can keep shallow roots from freezing.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

weird weather here if it wasn't south Texas
it was cool all week, but this morning, 67 and balmy, light rain, will be in the 30s tonight with a high in the 30s tomorrow, and it's going to continue to rain the whole weekend.
Not complaining, just exemplifying.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Hope it warms up for you. I'd say the whole of the west is in a deep freeze...we're sitting at 17 this morning, and that's pretty unusual. Run your water all over the house time to time, and make sure your hose bibbs are turned off.....Good Luck....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Just more global warming. :D
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

A hard freeze here in IL is nothing unusual. But in southern AZ it's sometimes a disaster.

Oly, you best stay home, you know there isn't any one there than can drive on ice and snow.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

We used to put a lamp under the sheet too, back before those darn tree hugger bulbs took over the world.

You can still get red heat lamps though, I buy them for the chickens, my wife likes to pamper her chickens. At high wattages you do have to make sure the bulb isn't within 3" of anything combustible.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Heat lamp for the chikens?
How do you figure the electric cost into price of eggs? :D
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Are you in Az. or N.M. now?
How cold is on top of that mountain?
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Gobblerforge wrote:You will be fine. Sounds like your doing all that you can and your troubles are few. I try to always consider that no matter how bad the weather, it always changes for the better. Let's save our prayers and thoughts for somone realy in need, like Pitchy and Snoopy.
Gobbler
Hey look, it costs people thousands of dollars to repair water damage and even their back yards if they get hit really hard. Don't pray for me if you're stingy with God's power, but please do pray for those who WILL be really hurt if the 19 deg. we're supposed to hit tonight causes some real problems for them in their lives.

Sheesh, what a guy.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Praying for U Oly and others that might be hit with these temps. Not to Fear, there are plenty of Gods blessings to go around. We have had some freezing here also. A hard freeze is good if the Tree survives, it is needed to put the tree into a deep rest. Citrus is very vulnerable. Preperation is a Must if U know it is coming and it sounds like You have things covered. Praying for the best outcome.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Oly, I have my fingers crossed for you! Just checked the National Weather Service site for Tucson and it's cold for your neck of the woods all right, but at lest sunny and 40s during the day. You might consider putting black containers full of water or rock near your most important plantings, and then covering both with clear plastic. The black containers absorb heat during the day and keep temps up at night. Something else to consider -- and widely used here by the commercial pear orchards -- is sprinkling with water. The water actually forms an ice jacket that insulates the tender shoots and buds beneath. Doesn't make sense, but works. However, the pear orchard trees are pruned to take this weight without damage ...
Also, straw covered with black plastic can keep shallow roots from freezing.
Thanks for those great suggestions Bill and for the kind thoughts from the rest of you guys.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

92&94 wrote:We used to put a lamp under the sheet too, back before those darn tree hugger bulbs took over the world.

You can still get red heat lamps though, I buy them for the chickens, my wife likes to pamper her chickens. At high wattages you do have to make sure the bulb isn't within 3" of anything combustible.
Yes! The old large bulb christmas lights were great for this. We'd string them on bougainvillea and other susceptible plants and cover them - worked like a charm. Can't even buy the things anywhere now! :evil:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Yeah,
I am going to drip my faucets for the nexy few nights.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Mescalero wrote:Heat lamp for the chikens?
How do you figure the electric cost into price of eggs? :D
I don't even ask... :lol:

I'm in NM now, glad not to be on that mountain for such a cold week. Should be warming up to about freezing when I head back Tuesday :mrgreen: With any luck the wind won't be howling and I can stop at the range for an hour - last two times its been too windy to really enjoy.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Sure glad the globe is WARMING like Gore said! Imagine how cold it would be if it WASN'T? :o

It's been getting into the 20's for almost two weeks here on the central coast of CA, and supposed to be in the teens tonight and tomorrow night.

Just cover your exposed water pipes, and bundle up.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I know that road, where do you stop?
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Butterfield range west of LC

Lots of space and usually not crowded... except when I stopped in on Dec 24th, it was packed then. Guess everyone had the day off :mrgreen:
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Did not even know it was there, more specifics?
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Its that exit before the BP checkpoint, Corralitos Rd I think it is, there's some kind of Bowlin's tourist trap there. Drive north from the overpass and the road bends around and crosses a cattle guard. The range is open every day except Thursday before 3 pm. There's no range officer, its all self serve - but its rarely crowded enough to have the problems with dangerous morons that make a range officer necessary.

Range is owned by the City of Las Cruces - gotta love a city that maintains public shooting ranges :mrgreen:
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

You bet
Thanks
stepmac
Levergunner

Post by stepmac »

Three degress F this morning, but in Oregon we undertand the cold. If it's cold I put on another layer of clothing. We dig our pipes down deep and shut off irrigation systems and blow them out in the fall. If you have a pool, toss in a few logs. Here we drain them (But who wants a pool anyway?).

You may have to plant plants that can resist the cold.

Cold snaps in warm climates can do a lot of damage, but I don't have to tell you that. Sheets on plants should save them.

Good luck.
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

-8 F in Winnipeg with about a 10 Kt wind. Had to hold my gloved hand over my face to make it four blocks to the grocery store, I was tempted to cab it back, but pulled my toque lower and walked quickly back.

Will keep Az in our prayers, I hope a warm wind arrives soon.
Sam
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

olyinaz wrote:
Gobbler
Hey look, it costs people thousands of dollars to repair water damage and even their back yards if they get hit really hard. Don't pray for me if you're stingy with God's power, but please do pray for those who WILL be really hurt if the 19 deg. we're supposed to hit tonight causes some real problems for them in their lives.

Sheesh, what a guy.

Oly
Oh, so many ways to say this. :roll: It is interesting for some of us northern folk to watch southern folk, every year, run around in panic and confusion when it gets cold. What we do up here is remember what we did last year, do a little preperation, put another log on the fire and try to smile and be happy. I remember hearing something to the effect of "God helps those that help themselves." Sounds like your on the right track and doing things to prevent freezing problems I would recognize as helping youself. Oh and God doesn't need to be told about the weather, he understands.
One last thing. I feel a positive attitude will produce so much more when hard times hit. Good luck.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Howdy,

All in all, it's a hard thing to tell someone that prayers will be saved for someone else!

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Gobblerforge wrote: Oh, so many ways to say this. :roll:
Well of course, there's an almost endless variety of ways to be a horse's butt. I guess that's why there's so much space devoted to how NOT to be one in the Bible.

Have a nice day!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

oly,
I made it through the night, how did you do?
stepmac
Levergunner

Post by stepmac »

I was hunting dove in Mexico a few years ago (won't go back now!). One morning it was about 45. I put on a jean jacket. The Mexican kids showed up in parkas and heavy gloves.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

To them,
that was cold.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Mescalero wrote:To them, that was cold.
Exactly, it's relative and also it matters how unusual (or unprecedented) it is.

It's just past noon and just now and in the high 30s. What's got people really interested here is how long this cold snap is hovering. 27 years and I've not seen one like this. Two years ago we had a one-nighter that broke records and destroyed millions of dollars in property, but this one could be worse owing to the stretch of days.

I leave for Chicago this afternoon, guess I'd better pack accordingly. :?

That map sure shows the huge air mass that's causing the trouble. Nevada is really getting it. :shock:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

They don't call it "cold desert nights" in the literature for nothing. What Oly says is exactly true. It's all relative and what you're used to. But it's not only that. Easterners especially but even some mountain westerners can't relate (at these normally modest temps to them) - this is with near zero humidity - which means subtract 10-15-even 20 right off if you want "felt temperature." Huge huge difference at any cool temperature. It was 25 yesterday and this morning in my back yard in Scottsdale and felt 2x as frigid as when I visited family in Vail CO last year in a snow storm--same temperature. When I checked the plant sheets and did some watering around the most sensitive plants last night before bed it was "only" 33 (but dropping fast) and felt darn cold. 33 in Colorado or Virginia, New York, is practically shirt sleeve with snow clouds usually assembling (at that temp) - which also often means "won't get that cold tonight." No clouds in the desert on a winter night, especially with the Canadian air mass that's hit the west, is nippy. We get 35-40 all the time, but this is a different kind of cold, more than you'd normally think "just 10-15" difference would mean. This is also hell on the homeless in these parts who really aren't used to, and their cardbord boxes not quite cutting it.

I'm doing fine. Some aren't. A friend's ceiling pipes froze and split in the 2011 cold snap we had. Major mess, expense and disruption of his life--for someone who didnt have much to begin with. It IS true, they don't--or at least didnt--build houses around here for this. He didn't forsee and hadn't insulated his pipes thinking whatever cold there might be the house would warm. Live and learn.
..And I do see some types of both genders walking around in the evening still with next to nothing on--with arms crossed shivering. Can't help idiots. Sometime I think when folks move here, they not only leave their winter clothes behind in the midwest or wherever they're from, but also their brains!
Last edited by gak on Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

gak,
I must be close to you from your description.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I live in the Phoenix area the whole time I lived in AZ. I've seen it frigged and I've seen it melting hot.
But the weather of late has been weird. It's cold here now, but not too bad.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Mescalero wrote:gak,
I must be close to you from your description.
Mescalero - mid-south (what used to be considered mid or central 'til the City expanded far north). You?
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Just south of 56th & Thomas
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Mescalero wrote:Just south of 56th & Thomas
Used to live on 56th south of Thomas--half way or so to McDowell!

Just went out to water and check sheets. Frigid already and dropping pretty rapidly. 1 degree dew point here (Phoenix area)!! Bone dry.
Think I saw it was -20 @ Grand Canyon last night (-13 tonight--warm front)--that's 3-1/2 hrs north of Phoenix to the uninitiated.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Supposed to be a low of 8 tonight and 3 tomorrow. Makes for a cold start to the day. Got lots of sunshine though....high of 32. A bit of moisture would be welcome.....

I was camped at the Tucson Rifle range two years ago when they had that cold spell. It really caused a lot of havoc in AZ. Things in AZ are not designed for that kind of weather. Good luck Oly.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Where in N.M.?
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Magdalena. :D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

GREAT place,
if I were not a Timberon native that is where I would light.
My ex tried to get me to float her a loan for a building downtown? not to long ago,, historic building, wanted to open some kind of chick hip boutique, seemed like BS to me.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Grizzly Adams wrote:Magdalena. :D
Just down Route 60 from the Very Large Array. Flown over you many many times! I always look for the VLA as I find it and the work they do fascinating.

Nice looking town! :)

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Mescalero, I bet I know the building - next door to the current location of the Magdalena Cafe? Great chile cheese burgers BTW.....

Oly, next time your in the area, land, and I will buy you one of those chile cheese burgers! LOL.

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Sounds right!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

You're on! :D

Oly