JES Rebore question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

JES Rebore question

Post by handirifle »

I am considering reboring a 26" Winchester 30-30 to a 38-55 to make a long rang plinker out of it, maybe adding a tang sight, etc. I did a search and found one reference to the cost approx $250. Not asking for a "quote", but does that sound about right to everyone?
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: JES Rebore question

Post by Mescalero »

My inner gut says expensive,
But this is 2013, and what we once thought was expensive....... is in many cases outdated and simply not germaine anymore.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

His website states $225 for 3 groove rifling, $250 for 4 or 5 groove rifling. Includes return shipping.
NRA Life Member
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Its very reasonable compared to a new barrel and he does very good work. He has done 3 for me
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

I've never had any dealings with him, though I have considered it. I've heard that he does excellent work at reasonable prices.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have the 94 30-30 he rebored for my son and it is a fantastic shooter. $225 back to my door. If you want a 38-55 this is the best way to go.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Whats the difference in performance of 3 vs 4 or 5 groove rifling? Does it makes a difference in bullet weight used?
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I don't know what the difference is in the rifling. Mine is accurate with the 245 grain #1 Ballard from
Missouri Bullet Co.and 8.5 grains of Trail Boss. It is a light load at 1020 fps, very accurate in my rifle.The other load came from Kirk, 18 grains of 5744 with a 255 grain cast Montana bullet again very accurate load. You will sure enjoy shooting and hunting with a 38-55 Winchester.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

A 38-55 with a 26" barrel sounds sweet!
JES did a good job turning my Marlin into a .356.
I think you are going to like it.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Twodot wrote:A 38-55 with a 26" barrel sounds sweet!
Yea its the gold plated centenial model. Not worth much as a collectable, and I hate to have safe queens. Since I am planning on turning my 94BB into a 307 for a little longer range and more usable (for me) hunter, this would keep me in the 375 family of cartridges. Plus since I'lll never be able to afford a Sharps this is as close as I would ever come to a long range big bore. I thought of buying a Marlin in 26" 45-70 but like the sharps, it might end up being too much recoil for sustained shooting practice.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

handirifle wrote:
Twodot wrote:A 38-55 with a 26" barrel sounds sweet!
Yea its the gold plated centenial model. Not worth much as a collectable, and I hate to have safe queens. Since I am planning on turning my 94BB into a 307 for a little longer range and more usable (for me) hunter, this would keep me in the 375 family of cartridges. Plus since I'lll never be able to afford a Sharps this is as close as I would ever come to a long range big bore. I thought of buying a Marlin in 26" 45-70 but like the sharps, it might end up being too much recoil for sustained shooting practice.
I think that it is a great idea. I am planning on doing the same to my 20" 94 Classic. No real collector value; it is a good shooter as is in .30-30 but I have three other levers chambered in .30-30 that are as well.
My BB375 is staying as a 375 though.
Good luck to you on your projects!
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Thanks
If I could find a way to produce QUALITY, and affordable lead free bullets, that expanded reliably for the 375 I might keep it as is, but after several years and untold hours of working on it, its still not easily done, thus the caliber swap idea. There are a few 30 cal lever suitable offerings already out there.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Just sent my second 30-30 to Jesse to be rebored to 38-55. I had him do a vintage Marlin 1893 with a sewer pipe barrel. He did a three groove for $225 including return shipping.

This rifle is stupid accurate!

The second rifle I sent yesterday is a 1978 Winchester Model 94.

I still have a Marlin 336 Octagon that will get the treatment in a month or two.

The 38-55 is a fantastic cartridge to load for. Unique is your VERY good friend!
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

handirifle wrote:Thanks
If I could find a way to produce QUALITY, and affordable lead free bullets, that expanded reliably for the 375 I might keep it as is, but after several years and untold hours of working on it, its still not easily done, thus the caliber swap idea. There are a few 30 cal lever suitable offerings already out there.
Oh, I understand why you want the .307, I just couldn't rebarrel mine. I would like to have a .307 myself, right after a 7-30 Waters.

Luckily, in Kansas we can shoot all of the lead we want, except at waterfowl, of course.
Looking forward to hearing about both of your projects.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Sure wish Jesse had email.........I want him to make me a chamber gauge with the same reamer he cuts my chamber with. But I hate calling him on the phone and disturbing him. Email is so much faster and you answer them when you have time..........
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I know men who if they could get the computer powered up, they would then have no idea how to proceed.
This does not make them children of a lessor god.
But it does make them different in a world we on the forum navigate with ease.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Mescalero, well said, the old telephone still gets results.

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

JerryB,
Thank You.