My Recent Gander Mountain Experience

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BedroomHowitzer
Levergunner 1.0

My Recent Gander Mountain Experience

Post by BedroomHowitzer »

This experience is in conjunction with my thread here about carrying a Rossi .38 special. Gander is where I was doing my shopping, and as I stated in the other thread, when I tried to purchase, my wild and free history set off a flag in the system which caused a hold on my purchase until things could be sorted out.

Well on Monday I received the call okaying my purchase and was told I could come pick up the .38. Today was the first chance I had to go get it. Here is where my real experience begins.

When I got there to pick up my Rossi .38 special, they were unable to locate it. They found my paperwork, but no Rossi. about 10 minutes later an employee came out of the back and told me someone had already sold the revolver by mistake to another customer, even though it was on a back shelf, on hold, for me. Needless to say, I was UNHAPPY. The drive for me to get to Gander Mountain was 2.5 hours out of the way for me and where I was going. The assistant manager wasn't happy either because she had to call the manager at home at 8:30pm (30 minutes before they close) and let him know they had a problem.

They started apologizing and swearing to me they were going to make it right, somehow. Unfortunately, getting another firearm of equal value was out of the question because I would have to get another background check for a new firearm and wait on another delay, and I don't often buy a gun at a store 4.5 hours away from where I live unless I am in the area for work.

By this time, someone had gotten the manager on the line, so the assistant manager went back to talk with him. A couple minutes later, I see an employee come out of the back, grab a brand new Rossi revolver and take it to the back. A few minutes later, the assistant manager came back out and apologized again, and asked me if I would be interested in purchasing this brand new revolver (a Rossi model 352, $429 on the price tag) at the price of the used one I wanted ($179). At this point, all of my frustration flew out the window as I calmly asked to "see what it felt like". As I handed it back to the them I told them I would be happy to do that, but I was going to be in Texas for 5 months and I wouldn't be here to pick it up since they had to run another background check. The assistant manager then informed me that she wasn't going to make me do another background check and was going to just transfer it to me, so I could take it home today and also said "If I get in trouble for it, well, I get in trouble for it."

Everyone still kept apologizing to me over and over again for the hassle this had caused. I politely accepted and let them know I just became a life-long customer. They told me they were going to make it right, and BOY DID THEY EVER!

I highly recommend Gander Mountain to anyone. Overpriced or not, when a company cares that much about it's customers, I will spend my money there.

Oh, and as per my promise in my other thread of a picture of what you can get at Gander Mountain for $179, here it is:

Sometimes the sun just shines down perfectly.
Non veniam in noctem nec tacitus. - I will not go quietly into the night
Pro God, Pro Gun, Pro Life.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My Recent Gander Mountain Experience

Post by olyinaz »

Wow!! Congrats and thanks for the report!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

Well spent!!! :D :D :D

Dave B
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

wow...congrats...

but..gander, as you said, is very over priced on a lot of their stuff...
we have 2 within an hour...but i rarely go...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sometimes, things work out 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Rossi 352 is on Feinstein's list of weapons to be banned. The $179 model Rossi is not.

Better give it back to the store.

:>)
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

nice. A letter with full names needs to go to corporate, details can be left out, but employees get stuff for being singled out as great employees by customers.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
BedroomHowitzer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by BedroomHowitzer »

2571 wrote:Rossi 352 is on Feinstein's list of weapons to be banned. The $179 model Rossi is not.

Better give it back to the store.

:>)
They would have to pry it from my cold dead hands--and I mean that 100%
Non veniam in noctem nec tacitus. - I will not go quietly into the night
Pro God, Pro Gun, Pro Life.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

My Major concern is "Who is that other Gun registered to" ?
Perry
btw- good on GM for making it up to You.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I always like to hear about good customer service! :D

Never been in a Gander Mountain, though.

-Stretch
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I think a single 'background check' can suffice for multiple-sales if they are within a certain window of time, so it would be as if you declined the 'first' purchase, and went ahead with the second. At least this is what a friend who has a gun store told me.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Of course I am going by Ca rules, 1 gun-1 dros (dealer record of sale) for handguns. Once it is sent in and not declined, that Gun is registered to "U".
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

To quote my late Grandmother:

"Everything happens for a reason". . :mrgreen: . :mrgreen: . :mrgreen:

86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The NICS check doe not record the make, model, serial # or caliber. Just long gun or handgun. If you fill out a 4473 with the wrong info the dealer can destroy it or write "Cancel" on it and put the NICS operator # and "proceed" on the proper form. You did not require another NICS and the store did it right. Congratulations!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

We're reading some good stuff about Cabela's and Gander Mountain tonight. I like to hear good customer service stories. To often it's all bad stuff we read or write about.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool! 8) Always glad to hear when a company steps up, admits their mistake, and makes it right!
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

"My Major concern is "Who is that other Gun registered to" ?"
That was what I was wondering... Who's got your gun??? ... If they could sell your gun to somebody else than why did they even hesitate on doing the same for you... But they did satisfy you and you Got a fine looking NEW firearm.
Bet somebody felt awful foolish there... LOL
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Glad that they did the right thing. I have shopped at Gander Mountain in Corsicana, TX a few times. I have never had any trouble there. They are a little more expensive, but they give great service.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

Glad they made it right for you but I seldom ever shop there anymore they are way over priced and they caved to the anti's when the NRA wanted to have several workshops in WI at Gander Mountain sites. They booked the meeting areas then GM said no and the NRA had to scramble and find other accommodations. These were because they were pro Gov Walker meetings. Pretty stupid as I doubt any of those union teacher types ever shopped at GM but GM caved into them. For that reason I shop elsewhere.
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.