.357 and 2400

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

.357 and 2400

Post by Bridger »

Just wanted to ask a quick question about some reloads I made up today. I thought I had 158 grain SWCs, and made up 50 rounds with a 1cc lee dipper, which actually weighs out to 14 grains. Later, I actually weighed the bullets and they are actually 148 grainers, so I was wrong. 10 grains difference doesn't seem to be a big deal, but technically the data I used did call for a 158 grain bullet. I asked my dad who has handloaded off and on for years and he said it was no problem. Still, I am an amateur and try to follow the book pretty close and wanted yalls opinion. The book I was using is Modern Reloading by Richard Lee.

------------------
I guess the real deal is that I am still learning about pressure and unsure at times what exactly will turn a safe load into an unsafe load.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: .357 and 2400

Post by Old Savage »

No problem.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A decent, stout load....if you're worried you could pull the bullet, and re-charge the cases...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

That load will be no problem at all. The easiest way to pull those bullets is shoot 'em.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

You're still in the "Safe range" for a 148 gn. cast bullet with 2400. With cast bullets especially, using a lighter weight bullet with a charge known to be safe in your firearm with a heavier one won't cause problems. I might add though, that you are playing around at the upper end of the GRAS(Generally Recognized As Safe) range with 2400. Have you worked up to that level, or is your chosen charge of 14.0 gns your starting point..??
I've often found my best groups to be at the lower end of the GRAS range with cast rounds....just sayin'.
Disclaimer: I only use 2400 for more "top-end" performance with jacketed bullets so I don't have any cast experience with that powder.
As long as you keep SAFETY in mind as you have here and ask questions when you're not sure...you'll be fine.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

A safe load with one bullet would be safe with another bullet that is lighter, with the only possible caveat being that the lighter bullet should not have a greater bearing surface, IE a 158 SWC and a 148 full wadcutter.
In his 2nd edition modern reloading manual, Richard Lee lists 13.9gr as a starting load with a 158 lead bullet so 14gr should be well within limits for the 148.
I have gone up to 14gr of 2400 with a 180gr bullet and extraction got noticeably sticky but primers were still not flattening noticeably, but your gun is different to mine so mileage may vary.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Gundownunder, You using a cast or jaketed bullet with that load? I've been using 13.5grs of 2400 with a 180gr Saeco RNFP.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

You're fine with that load.

In general, you can safely go with a slightly lighter bullet for the same charge of
powder. 14.0 gr. isn't the top load for the .357, so you have plenty of headroom.

No problem.

-Stretch
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Not a problem as others have stated. I would suggest adding to your library of manuals starting with Lyman's 49th. If you are using a jacketed bullet (Hornady, Speer, etc.), get a manual from the manufacturer. If you're reloading lead, Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook. Personally I don't care for the Lee manual; it's ok for the "How To" section and how to use Lee equipment, but I think there are better manuals with more/better listings (I have one and am not a Lee Basher)...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

No problem! Actually I think you are going to like that load a lot.
I shoot 2400 in the .38 special under 158 gr.JSP bullets and it`s a great load.
Very accurate and manageable in my Ruger SP 101 .

Some people think 2400 is just for magnum loads. NOT SO!!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

J Miller wrote:That load will be no problem at all. The easiest way to pull those bullets is shoot 'em.

Joe
+1
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

Thanks a bunch guys.....every time yall start talking I learn.....and to answer a question posed by an earlier poster, no, I did not work up to that load. Since I was using the dipper I'm not really sure how I could have done that (I only weighed the first charge or two which is why I know it was 14 gr exact)....I do have access to a Lee Perfect powder measure though and a couple of scales so I can work up to loads with that, but last night I didn't want to get it out so I just used the dipper.

BTW, the gun I am using the loads in is a Dan Wesson 15. Actually 15-2 I believe.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Well, the real requirement for safety is more room in the case rather than less. A lighter bullet normally leaves extra room in the case, but one that pushes in further, leaving less room in the case might be unsafe.

I have an example; 2 bullets for 35 Rem, a 200 grain jacketed has the crimp mark at the rear, and a 180 grain lead has the crimp groove at the front. Since the 180 sticks much deeper into the case, it might not be safe to just use the 200 grain load.

Another example is with Barnes bullets, they are light but they are long. A 140 grain Barnes in .357 is as long as a 180 grain lead. So they stick deep in the case and I use 180 grain load info to start loads.

Measure the portion that will be inside the case to verify that you will have more room rather than less.
try to follow the book pretty close and wanted yalls opinion. The book I was using is Modern Reloading by Richard Lee.

------------------
I guess the real deal is that I am still learning about pressure and unsure at times what exactly will turn a safe load into an unsafe load.
here are some, there may be more:

- less room in the case
- bullet material or size (difference in friction)
- extreme heat
Last edited by El Chivo on Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Your dad was right.