Selling my NIB Win 30-30 Ranger...Am I asking too much?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BedroomHowitzer
Levergunner 1.0

Selling my NIB Win 30-30 Ranger...Am I asking too much?

Post by BedroomHowitzer »

I listed it for $600, today. It was originally purchased in 2006, the last year of the USA Winchesters, and I have all the paperwork, stickers, locks, the box, tissue paper, everything it came with. It's still in the box. Never been fired, loaded, and hardly even looked at, tags are still attached. It it factory brand new condition. What offers should I consider? I still have another 30-30, mind you, a work gun, but I will never fire this one. It's just too pretty.
Non veniam in noctem nec tacitus. - I will not go quietly into the night
Pro God, Pro Gun, Pro Life.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Selling my NIB Win 30-30 Ranger...Am I asking too much?

Post by Blaine »

Check around on a few of the auction sites.....you can get an idea, and post accordingly.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
BedroomHowitzer
Levergunner 1.0

one on armslist was listed on December 22nd up in wisconsin for $600, and has already been deactivated (or sold). The serial number was only a few off from mine. That's really what I was basing it off of.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I don't think that's unreasonable... depending on how SOON you want it to move. That's a decision for you to make.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

The U.S.A. is an ocean of guns.

There's a fish for your hook out there somewhere.

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Only recently "sold" auctions for the same rifle in like condition is a fair assessment of value, since an "asking price" or an "opening bid" is not a value, it's only what a seller hopes they may get.

"Closed" or discontinued auctions are mostly not sold - they are usually just relisted because the seller's value/price expectation turned out to be unreasonable (or every interested party was asleep during his auction), in the same auction site or elsewhere.

BedroomHowitzer
Levergunner 1.0

Just got offered a new Ruger SP101 .357 magnum with a 2.5" barrel. 10 rounds fired through it. Ruger's website says MSRP is $639.00. Gonna go check it out. The guy wants it to give my rifle to his son for deer hunting, so it will finally be used for what it's intended--if I trade. But I am somewhat of a sucker for revolvers, so we shall see.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

I don't know how much your winchester is worth, but I recently bought a Ruger SP101 in 327 fed. mag. new for under $500. I do really really like the ruger - and I think you would be pleased with it. small enough to carry, but definitely stout enough that its fun to shoot - and at least mine shoots very well. i would say if you are happy with the trade then its a good trade. maybe get him to throw in some ammo or a holster or something.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

To me, and from what I've seen 94s go for, yes, it's too much.

A nice but non-collectable 94 in it's most common caliber is a $400 gun. That it is new/untouched adds $50 to $75 in value. Maybe. In no way is it a rare piece.

Despite what most people think, it's the buyer, not the seller who establishes what goods sell for. Notice that none of the other posters offered to buy it. Most sort of danced around your question, probably because they're nice guys and didn't want to say yes, it's too much.

But they're also right, post it up if you want at that price and see what happens.

Cat
1894c

Post by 1894c »

i bought a new SP-101 .357mag for $510.00 and a Winchester 94 (1979) for $395.00...both guns bought in December 2012...just my opinion and experience... :)
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I don't doubt there are deals out there to be had but around here beater 94's go for over $400 so $600 for a NIB model isn't too far outta line even for a ranger. Ya ain't gonna get it if you don't ask for it that's for sure. Good luck.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

BedroomHowitzer wrote:I listed it for $600, today. It was originally purchased in 2006, the last year of the USA Winchesters, and I have all the paperwork, stickers, locks, the box, tissue paper, everything it came with. It's still in the box. Never been fired, loaded, and hardly even looked at, tags are still attached. It it factory brand new condition. What offers should I consider? I still have another 30-30, mind you, a work gun, but I will never fire this one. It's just too pretty.
Bah!!!!!! Your work gun was just like this one when new, then somebody used it. Go shoot the darn thing and enjoy it. One can't have too many Win 94s.

Also do not judge potential trade values by the listed MSRP. Guns rarely sell for that. Check the auctions for similar Ruger revolvers in that condition that actually sold, and go from there.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Catshooter wrote:To me, and from what I've seen 94s go for, yes, it's too much.

A nice but non-collectable 94 in it's most common caliber is a $400 gun. That it is new/untouched adds $50 to $75 in value. Maybe. In no way is it a rare piece.

Despite what most people think, it's the buyer, not the seller who establishes what goods sell for. Notice that none of the other posters offered to buy it. Most sort of danced around your question, probably because they're nice guys and didn't want to say yes, it's too much.

But they're also right, post it up if you want at that price and see what happens.

Cat
+1 $400 tops for the Ranger version of the 94.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I consider that a high end retail price. Its acceptable.

Remember, the gun is NIB, which is desirable. Many guys list a gun as "99% with 10 rounds fired out of it" when in reality, its 95% and has had 200 pushed down the bore. NIB takes the guesswork out.

Sometimes it takes an extra week or two, but eventually the right guy will come along.

$600 ain't nothing anymore, so unless you need it to eat, hold your price.

I go by an old saying.........."You either want it or you don't". -------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Condition is a plus for asking price-- NIB is as good as you can get. That said, it is a Ranger version. The most inexpensive and least desireable version.
Would you expect a Winchester 670 to sell for the same money as a 70? I wouldn't and I frankly think $600 is way over the top on a Ranger gun. If it was a Walnut stocked, pre 64 or a Legacy gun in that condition -- it would sell.
I think $400 to $500 is max even for a new Ranger.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

You can buy a pre-64 94 for that price. I agree $400.00, maybe $500.00 tops.

A Pard of mine just bought a 1954, very nice 94 SRC 30WCF for $550.00.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
BedroomHowitzer
Levergunner 1.0

Well whatever the value of it is, $400, $500, this is what I agreed to: a trade for a Taurus PT140 Millenium Pro, .40 cal. It is claimed to have had only one magazine put through it. The guy bought it on a whim, but prefers .45 caliber carry pieces. It looks like he is telling the truth, only one of the mags has any scratches on it, and only very light scratches at that, pistol is flawless. Came with original box, paperwork, lock, and a Fobus holster. I am happy.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BedroomHowitzer wrote:I am happy.
The most important part of any deal.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

If you're happy, it's a good deal.

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I agree, if it makes you happy, you did just fine! Enjoy it!
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

BedroomHowitzer wrote:Just got offered a new Ruger SP101 .357 magnum with a 2.5" barrel. 10 rounds fired through it. Ruger's website says MSRP is $639.00. Gonna go check it out. The guy wants it to give my rifle to his son for deer hunting, so it will finally be used for what it's intended--if I trade. But I am somewhat of a sucker for revolvers, so we shall see.
MSRP means street price would be about 450 to 500. Considering it is used price should be cheaper yet I do not care if it is only ten rounds it has been fired. IF you really think your gun is worth 600 bucks and that is what folks are getting for them you would be taking a loss. I would not make the trade but then I have been burnt by a few bad Rugers so I will not even own them anymore.

But then who knows with the mania of folks buying guns at inflated prices maybe that pistol might be a ok deal now. I would not have said so a month ago.
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.