Two questions about gasoline storage

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Two questions about gasoline storage

Post by Tycer »

What's your favorite fuel additive and why

What is your work-around for the horrible .gov mandated spouts on the new gas cans?
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Two questions about gasoline storage

Post by Sixgun »

Oh! Two easy answers. :D

#1-For gas engines I use around the house, I use 1 year stabilizer. Things like snowblowers, generators, chainsaws, hedge clippers. Why? Obvious. I keep all of these gas tanks filled to the top to reduce water condensation.

For my regular Jeeps, I add fuel injector cleaner (carb cleaner for the old '89) and the additive that gets the water out.

For the diesel Kubota, I use Lucas upper cylinder fuel additive. This Lucas stuff also gives the modern diesel fuel more ooomh and evens out old fuel as I buy 50 gallons of diesel at a time and it takes me about 6 months to use it.

I must be doing something right. Rarely do I have engine problems of any sort.....and I've got at least 15 than run one thing or another. In addition to gas/diesel additives, I do regular preventative maintenence on all of my stuff BEFORE I have issues.

#2) Those new gas spouts? I have plenty of stainless steel 5 gallon old ones that will outlast me. My better half did come home with 2 of those new plastic jugs last summer and who knows why. My brother always says that if God wanted women to be smart, he would have given them brains...but for now we will keep that quiet. :D

I immediately took the spouts apart and ripped out the springs and other internals, then installed a screw on the top of the plastic jug for air release. --------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

For all my small engines such as chainsaws, lawnmower, weedeater, outboard, and my 1978 Honda Trail 90, I buy ethanol-free gasoline ($6.34 per gallon!) and add Stabil fuel stabilizer.

As for gas cans, I have severall of the old style, and I keep my eye out for them at yard sales. I find the old G.I. five gallon jeep cans for $5 or less, and good one or two gallon plastic containers for a couple bucks. I do have one of the funky new plastic cans, but it is so irritating to use, I just remove the cap and use a long-spouted funnel to pour gas into the tank. I plan to modify it with a proper vent and nozzle one of these days.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Sea Foam is the additive I use. It not only stabilizes the fuel for a long, long time it binds up any water as well.
Sorry, no tips on the gas cans.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I've always filled my bike with premium; mix in some Sea-Foam turn petcock to off and run it, till it dies. Aint had problem since '04.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Treetop
Levergunner

Post by Treetop »

Sixgun wrote: I immediately took the spouts apart and ripped out the springs and other internals, then installed a screw on the top of the plastic jug for air release. --------Sixgun
Plus one, Sixgun. That's exactly what I did.

Here is the best idea yet on getting around the .gov mandated 10% ethanol/gasoline, IMO:

http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic ... 15&t=14679
Treetop
Sgt. USMC
1968-71

NRA Life Member since 1980

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Treetop, thanks for posting a great tip on the Ethanol Gasoline 3leg.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Treetop
Levergunner

Post by Treetop »

3leggedturtle wrote:Treetop, thanks for posting a great tip on the Ethanol Gasoline 3leg.
3leg, I plan on trying this technique myself, real soon. My Cub Cadet lawn tractor won't start (again), I'm sure it's the carburetor because I put a new spark plug in and it starts immediately on starting ether but won't continue to run.

As soon as I get it running (again) I'm going to use the easily de-ethanoled gasoline in it from now on.
Treetop
Sgt. USMC
1968-71

NRA Life Member since 1980

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC
flyfisher66048
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flyfisher66048 »

Here is a podcast dealing with long term fuel storage. Steve Harris seems to be knowledgable on the subject. http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/harri ... el-storage