I Take It Straight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

I Take It Straight

Post by Blaine »

I really don't drink that much anymore. But, I do appreciate a quality shot every so often. Straight...Beer Back.... I've had a little airline bottle of Gentleman Jack for several years, and I decided to put it out of it's misery this evening. I usually don't care for Jack Daniel's, but, I have to admit that Gentleman Jack is a quality sipping whiskey. I usually get one winter bottle before Christmas....this might be it, or maybe a nice bottle of 1800 100% Blue Agave cactus squeezin's.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: I Take It Straight

Post by Sixgun »

Good for you! I drank enough before I was 40 that would equal what everyone here on the board has drank.......combined. Been 18 years since I even smelled the stuff but.........the pictures Pitchy had on another post (with the dog and the sled in the snow) really brought back memories. I used to love to snowmobile with a quart of Old Granddad or Old Crow or Jack Daniels or Wild Turkey :D stashed under my armpit. I never did care about the brand, as long as it had alcohol in it.

Dang, you put that in my head. I'm headed to the liquor store. :D -----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Once in a blue moon I like a shot or two of Jack. I'll go months at a time, but once in awhile it just seems right. Tonight may just be that time. Good idea.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have a good bottle of Mescal I have been saving for a while.
This holiday sounds like a good reason.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Not a whiskey fan. But I did enjoy the Wild Turkey American Honey, that I had at a wedding a month ago.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:Good for you! I drank enough before I was 40 that would equal what everyone here on the board has drank.......combined. Been 18 years since I even smelled the stuff but.........the pictures Pitchy had on another post (with the dog and the sled in the snow) really brought back memories. I used to love to snowmobile with a quart of Old Granddad or Old Crow or Jack Daniels or Wild Turkey :D stashed under my armpit. I never did care about the brand, as long as it had alcohol in it.

Dang, you put that in my head. I'm headed to the liquor store. :D -----------Sixgun
Forty was about the age where I reached my lifetime quota of booze, and beer :oops: . I can now have 2 or 3 without having to get plastered. I'm thankful that my liver is still in perfect shape for an ex-boozer, old fat man with diabetes.....(another reason not to drink too much 8) )

Good on you for recognizing your limitations. :idea:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

BlaineG wrote: Forty was about the age where I reached my lifetime quota of booze, and beer :oops: . :

Whoops ---- I'm already 41 and i still party like a village idiot! :lol:

I make the excuse to my wife that it gives me a reason to work out --- but i am a bit OCD about that too.
Its the goofiest thing, nothing tastes better after a mountain bike ride or a solid workout to me than a few beers.

Regarding liquor, i am on the same fifth of Jack at home that i got for Christmas a couple of years ago, but if i am out at a bar, i occasionally like a couple of shots of "boutique" tequila (Patron, Sammy Hagar's swill, etc)
----- Doug
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I don't drink much but nothing beats a cold beer in the summer. Once the weather cools a wiskey. Gentleman Jack is top notch. Have'nt tried single barrel yet. Another good one is Jim Beam Black. darn.....wish I were'nt at work!
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

I prefer Jack Daniels on the rocks with 3 lemon slices squezed in and an ice cold can of Bud. Works for me. :D

Dave B
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Around the house lately...I've been enjoying a variety of Scotch Whiskies. Lately settling in on Jameson's Irish Whiskey.
That Said....whenever I'm away from home, typically in some far-flung third-world toilet, sittting around a campfire at night...there's nothing like passing around a bottle of Jack Daniels for a little "taste-of-home".
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

BlaineG wrote:"...I have to admit that Gentleman Jack is a quality sipping whiskey. I usually get one winter bottle before Christmas...."
Great choice!

It's a great choice for a spring, summer or fall bottle too :wink: -- but maybe you knew I'd say that...

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

I have drank Bourbon almost 40 years like Blaine now being diabetic I limit it to two or three. But in the past year trying some good Irish Whiskey it is also a good choice smooth stuff with a good taste. But then I suspect them Scotch/Irish folks from the hills started our bourbon tradition in this country.
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I didn't drink more than a two three beers a year until I was almost 40 and got divorced. A couple years of acting like a juvenile I developed a real taste for Makers Mark. I got a bottle last weekend for my birthday and I'm surprised there's any left. :oops:

Starting to think it's time to slow down a bit. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Blaine's description of his physical state matches mine. So, I don't drink much anymore. But, my preferred drink is Canadain Mist. Started drinking it as a low ranked fuzz butt, and like the taste. My current bottle is a bit over a year old, and a bit over half full. Does wiskey go bad?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

I like the single malt scotch now. Some have really complex flavors, smoky peat and honey, some more like Jack Daniels.

I had some one night many years ago with a friend of the family, he is an actor, and had been given the bottle of scotch, I said not thanks, I hate scotch, but it was one of the best sipping whiskeys I have ever had. I started my road down the single malts looking to find that kind again. I wish I saved the bottle.

I may have a scotch tonight, haven't had one since summer.

Steve
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Quit for 20 years then talked myself into trying it again, swore i`d stay home but ended up in town howling so no more for another 20 years. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

For many years Black Velvet has been my favorite (tastes good and you find it on sale regularly). Then last year some friends gave me a bottle of something called "Pendleton". You can't find it on sale, but for taste -- I'm afraid it has beat out my old favorite Black Velvet.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Tequila is the only liquor that doesn't make me puke, literally.

If I have a drink with vodka, whiskey, rum, anything... there's gonna be projectile vomiting.

I like the Patron Anejo straight.

To mix I buy something like Jose Cuervo Especial.

In my adult incarnation I usually just stick to a good beer.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I'm drinking Makers Mark as I type this, it's just right after walking the dog around a frosty park.
So CHEERS to all you Levergunners... :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I always dreamed of sitting next to the fireplace in my rocker, favorite slippers on with my redhead at my feet (Irish Setter), with a good sour mash sippin' whiskey, enjoying a nice quiet winter evening. But I always wound up in a cold alley, or cement lined drunk tank, barefoot, sharing a cement bunk with a smelly wino. But, by the grace of God, I haven't had a drink since June 1986...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Pitchy wrote:Quit for 20 years then talked myself into trying it again, swore i`d stay home but ended up in town howling so no more for another 20 years. :)
As long as you didn't fly the plane to town.... :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

The only hard liquor I have in my house is Habu-sake which is basically a venomous Habu snake aging in Sho chu (Japanese vodka), and a bottle of Gingseng So Ju or Gingseng root aged in So Ju (Korean vodka). I take a shot occasionally for medicinal reasons but I must admit they are both quite tasty though taken in small amounts infrequently. I used to be a Dark Rum, and single malt scotch guy but haven't had a bottle of either in my home for over 7 years.

Habu sake
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
flyfisher66048
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flyfisher66048 »

Sir Ji,

Holy smokes, I never knew something like that existed. You are a much tougher man than I ever wanted to be drinking that stuff. Never did care for snakes too much.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Yeah.. my preferred drink was bourbon.. The stuff dang near got the better of me though... I don't keep any booze around anymore... But on occasion I'll upend a bottle and take a couple of good pulls straight off of the bottle...(My favorite way to drink it) Last time I had occasion to imbibe was in the spring when my nephew came for a visit... Having never tried Rye Whiskey I had him get me some from the local liquor store... They had one bottle of Rye Whiskey in the house... He came back with something named Bulleit Rye American Whiskey that I don’t know if it is a good brand or not... T’wernt cheap! But it was smooth. & tasty ...I liked the old fashioned plain type bottle and the nice squeak the cork makes when you un cork it... I’d recommend it for something different...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I very rarely drink liquor, but I'm with FWiedner, my preferred is Patron Anejo. I can do a good spiced rum every once in a while, like Captain Morgan private stock, or the dark Bacardi, but I usually mix those with Coke. For a smooth sippin' whiskey Pendleton is the best I've found so far. I went to Mexico this summer and we brought back about 9 bottles of liquor. I don't know why, maybe just because they were cheap. I'll probably be drinking on those for 20 years.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Another vote for American Honey.
NRA Life Member
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Probably the only one who would share that Mescal with me is Big Sky 56.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I dont always drink wiskey, but when I do I prefer Fireball. Just had to say that. It is a newer cinnamon flavor wiskey when served ice cold is pretty tastey.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Nothing better on a chilly night night than a little glass of good scotch or Bushmills. 8)

Eric
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:Probably the only one who would share that Mescal with me is Big Sky 56.
Heck, I'm in.....My buddy goes across the border in Yuma and gets some really chit.......

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

While serving in the navy, I put down enough wild turkey to alarm the WTF haha. I got back to the base one night drivng and didn't know how I made it there or how i got through security. That was my wake up call. I still have an occasional drink, but it is not often but it still is Wild Turkey 101.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Except for around this time of the year, and on special visitations, I will confine myself to a good beer. An Amber, or IPA, or Hefeweizen....anything not too bitter. Blue Moon with a hint of citrus is pretty good.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

If it ain't HM's Rum... it'll be beer. I still have a quart of HM's Rum that my cousin gave me nearly 30 years ago. Well... ok, a little less than a finger left... but it's still smooth! Caon't remember where my cousin told me it was from... just it was from his issue rations! The Brits and such are so much more civilized about this than the dern Quakers on this side of the pond!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

:shock:
I am surprised Blaine.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote::shock:
I am surprised Blaine.
Why is that?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
DadsMod12
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DadsMod12 »

If I'm sipping then it is Makers Mark 46. If it is mixed then I use regular Makers Mark.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Mescal is usually an aquired taste,
usually by southwesterners.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I'm in on the mescal. I don't like it as much as tequila, but it is similar.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

REAL Mescal,
is much more enjoyable.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:REAL Mescal,
is much more enjoyable.
My Bud has prolly 20 or more bottle of stuff he picked up south of Yuma, and other places. Some of it is pretty darn good.....I prefer the 100% Blue Agave stuff.....smooth as a baby's butt.....He's got a couple bottles of different Scorpion brand mescal....very intense....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

The Agave is first rate.
We really do have to get together if you make the move!
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I'm allergic to the stuff.

I break out in spots.

Spots like Yellowknife and jail.