Win 94 Comm - help

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rogmatt
Levergunner 1.0

Win 94 Comm - help

Post by Rogmatt »

I need identifying the screws i need for this 94 i just picked up. Looks like it may have been a commemorative, but there is no medalion in the stock. Please see 3 photos. One looks like it would go where a saddle ring would go.
I have 3 holes I need to fill and Numrich did not seem to have the anwers for me in their hard to read schematic. thanks for any help. Serial # dates it at 1968

Right Side - hole just above the loading gate

Left Side - hole where it looks like a saddle ring might go

Left Side - towards front in middle of pic - looks like a pin may be in there but still leaves a hole.

Keep The Faith
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Re: Win 94 Comm - help

Post by Shasta »

Your rifle is most likely a Model 94 "Antique", and it would have come with a gold colored saddle ring. The hole above the loading gate is supposed to be just that, a hole. it is there to allow use of a pin punch to drive out the lever pin when disassembling the action. The other hole that appears to have a pin in it is actually the end of the screw that holds the left side cartridge guide. the only thing I see wrong is that the saddle ring is missing, otherwise everything is as it is supposed to be.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Rogmatt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Rogmatt »

shasta, thanks for your reply. Numrich did not have a saddle ring, so i am on the hunt for one. If anyone knows I would appreciate it. Am searching Midway, Brownells, ect....
Keep The Faith
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

In my opinion, leave the ring off, all they do is scratch the gun and make noise in the woods! :lol:
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Check ebay for the saddle ring. Sometimes see gold ones there. Personally, I like the saddle ring...just loop a piece of leather around it to prevent the noise and scratching.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

1) The Gold-colored post-64 (post-64's have a different thread than pre-64's) saddle rings are available (#3 - $35):

http://www.gun-parts.com/winchesterrifle/

2) Any saddle ring is easily prevented from being noisy or scratchy with the simple addition of a leather thong tied to it.

3) For those who wish to remove a saddle ring & go bareback, a special filler screw is available ($3+ S&H).

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/975374 ... ler-2-blue

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Your receiver is correct. As others stated, only the saddle ring is missing. For comparison ('67 Canadian Centennial, similar vintage): right side
DSCN8755.JPG
left side:
DSCN8756.JPG
However:
receiver hole.jpg
"A" is the carrier return spring screw, (which is installed or removed thru the loading gate; the gate & carrier need to be removed to accomplosh this).
"B" is the left cartridge guide screw.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My 67 Antique had a plain steel saddle ring and loading gate.

Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Most likely the blued steel ring was a replacement, since the gold finish can go ta-ta fairly rapidly - OR, mayhaps the factory was temporarily out-of-stock on gold ones & substituted blue for awhile.

Both seem acceptable for use, IMHO - although maybe not to a puredee collector.

BTW - The Post-64 Model 94 Antique was not one of the commemoratives, it was one of the regular models from 1967-1973, just different from the Standard M94 Carbine.
The various commemoratives were generally each different years, each commemorative for one year.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pete44ru wrote:BTW - The Post-64 Model 94 Antique was not one of the commemoratives, it was one of the regular models from 1967-1973, just different from the Standard M94 Carbine.
The various commemoratives were generally each different years, each commemorative for one year.
Likewise the mdl 94 "Classic", which was CCH'd like the Antique but in a "rifle" configuration with 26" octagon bbl.

From thhe 1968 Winchester catalog:
4. Model 94 Lever Action Carbine-Antique: $97.95.
In 30-30 Winchester only. This carbine shoots as
good as it looks. The marbling of its case-hardened
receiver gives it an authentic antique appearance.
Handsome scrollwork... brass-plated loading gate
and saddle ring. Barrel band. The same dependable,
fast lever action as its Model 94 relatives. Just as
carefully rifled and chambered. Smooth shooting and
fancy looks ... to suit your fancy ... from Winchester.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I always wanted a Classic rifle. Never did have the cash at the time and haven't seen one for sale in decades.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

J Miller wrote:I always wanted a Classic rifle. Never did have the cash at the time and haven't seen one for sale in decades.
Joe
You and me both, Joe! :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

There's a Classic rifle that's been at the Cody show for several years. I think it's priced at $600. I'd guess the guy doesnt go to other shows.

I haven't had the money to buy it, I would buy it if I could afford it. I like the Canadian Centenials also, as a shooter that isnt too fancy. They're usually priced about the same, though I've seen a few for around $500.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, There's been an " on consignmment " (ergo, no dickering on price) Classic w/26" bbl at a particular New England gunshow dealer's booth for the last 5 years, in primo condition (no box, IIRC) & tagged @ $450, that's gone unsold, lo these many years.

I usually see it at the "Big E" gunshows in West Springfield, MA, but also at one/two other N.E. shows.

The price/tag might have been since raised, but since I also no longer give the rifle/booth more than a quick glance, IDK.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

From the '67 Winchester catalog, when they were introduced:

Now to REALLY mess with yer head; SMRP: $119.95 :P :twisted: :lol:
History repeats itself in the lines of this lever action repeater: here is the bold octagon barrel- revived for a look and feel that's all but vanished in modern firearms. And back for a reason: legendary accuracy, rifled the way it should be, the classic way: one turn in twelve inches. Gold-plated loading gate, classic scrollwork on the receiver, semi-fancy, high-gloss American walnut stock and forearm with metal forearm tip. But look at the long, straight lines of the Classic. Straight as an arrow, toe to receiver. Walnut with grain and burl your fingers can almost feel. And features that go on and on. Adjustable, semi-buckhorn rear sights. Bead-post front sight. Superb wood-to-metal fit by Winchester past-masters at this art. Drilled and tapped for Western saddle ring, equipped with plug screw. Saddle ring supplied with gun. Updated and refined Winchester lever action - stronger, faster, more comfortable to operate than ever before ... with a serrated hammer simple to thumb and half-cock safety. Every possible feature it takes to create a classic.

It's here, 3,000,000 Winchester 94s later. A beautiful new addition to a traditional line of sporting arms. And it's here to stay. For that's the mark of a Winchester Classic. 30-30 Winchester only.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

I had a Model 94 Classic carbine that I liked, but sold it when funds were low. I saw a Classic rifle with the box and manual at a gun show for a good price, but didn't have the money. I located another a few years ago for $500.00 but held off on that one too since it was so close to Christmas. I've had chances at them.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Griff wrote:
Pete44ru wrote:BTW - The Post-64 Model 94 Antique was not one of the commemoratives, it was one of the regular models from 1967-1973, just different from the Standard M94 Carbine.
Likewise the mdl 94 "Classic", which was CCH'd like the Antique but in a "rifle" configuration with 26" octagon bbl.
Actually, the Classics weren't CCH'd. They look almost like black chrome, very glossy black finish on receiver and forend cap, blue on barrel. They came in both 20" (like mine in middle below) and 26", which is what I really want. This is the rifle that I am trying to convince myself to send into JES for a 38-55 rebore. The problem is, it is a very good shooter as is.

Edited: Oops, Griff, I don't know how I missed the picture of the pair from the 1967 catalog. Isn't a 1 in 12" twist standard for 30-30 barrels?

Also, I know that the various pictures of rifles and my Ruger single actions taken on my gravel driveway have given several people heartburn. I swear that none of these firearms were harmed in any way by being gently laid on my dry, hard packed gravel driveway. But, I plan on replacing these pics with some taken on a kinder, gentler background. :P
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I too had a Winchester Classic with the brass touches. I took it as collateral on a $35 loan while in Germany in the Army back in 1967. He'd bought it at the PX and fired a total of 6 rds through it. The guy said to take it instead of paying me back which was fine with me. While nice looking, it had a typical Winchester sloppy trigger and floppy lever. I wasn't impressed with it and didn't have an appreciation for it's classic appeal so it sat in my safe for decades until a friend offered me $225 for it back in the mid 80's. Wasn't sad to let it go as it was a safe queen because it wasn't useful for deer in the open country we hunt in here in the west where long range shots are the norm.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

COSteve wrote:I too had a Winchester Classic with the brass touches. I took it as collateral on a $35 loan while in Germany in the Army back in 1967. He'd bought it at the PX and fired a total of 6 rds through it. The guy said to take it instead of paying me back which was fine with me. While nice looking, it had a typical Winchester sloppy trigger and floppy lever. I wasn't impressed with it and didn't have an appreciation for it's classic appeal so it sat in my safe for decades until a friend offered me $225 for it back in the mid 80's. Wasn't sad to let it go as it was a safe queen because it wasn't useful for deer in the open country we hunt in here in the west where long range shots are the norm.

That was a good deal both times; $35 and $225. I traded into mine in 1993. A friend had it hanging on the wall in his house as decoration, it had some handling marks but had never been fired. His new wife didn't think that it went well with the new decor that she had planned for "his" house so he traded it to me for a chinese Tokarev pistol that I had about $100 in. We were both happy (actually all three of us - his wife included)
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Griff wrote:From the '67 Winchester catalog, when they were introduced:

Now to REALLY mess with yer head; SMRP: $119.95 :P :twisted: :lol:
History repeats itself in the lines of this lever action repeater: here is the bold octagon barrel- revived for a look and feel that's all but vanished in modern firearms. And back for a reason: legendary accuracy, rifled the way it should be, the classic way: one turn in twelve inches. Gold-plated loading gate, classic scrollwork on the receiver, semi-fancy, high-gloss American walnut stock and forearm with metal forearm tip. But look at the long, straight lines of the Classic. Straight as an arrow, toe to receiver. Walnut with grain and burl your fingers can almost feel. And features that go on and on. Adjustable, semi-buckhorn rear sights. Bead-post front sight. Superb wood-to-metal fit by Winchester past-masters at this art. Drilled and tapped for Western saddle ring, equipped with plug screw. Saddle ring supplied with gun. Updated and refined Winchester lever action - stronger, faster, more comfortable to operate than ever before ... with a serrated hammer simple to thumb and half-cock safety. Every possible feature it takes to create a classic.

It's here, 3,000,000 Winchester 94s later. A beautiful new addition to a traditional line of sporting arms. And it's here to stay. For that's the mark of a Winchester Classic. 30-30 Winchester only.
THAT was the picture that started me drooling over the rifle. I already had a carbine and I wanted that rifle BAD.
Maybe someday.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Joe,
See the long rifle in your picture, my uncle has one in THAT condition!
How much is it worth?
I can con him out of it.