Barrel Reboring/Rechamered

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Barrel Reboring/Rechamered

Post by elmo123 »

Hi,
Has anyone had a rifle barrel rebored to another caliber and if so who did you have complete the job?

I have a new handi rifle in 30-30 that I was considering changing to 348 WCF.
Thanks,

Mike
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Barrel Reboring/Rechamered

Post by TedH »

I haven't used him personally, but know of several others that have, and they have always been pleased with the job.

http://www.35caliber.com/
NRA Life Member
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

If you want accuracy....consider none other than 38-55.....The Benchrest cartridge of the 1800s..........Easy to load for, easy on the shoulder, amazing accuracy. Rebore from 30-30 to 38-55 is very easy.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

rbertalotto wrote:If you want accuracy....consider none other than 38-55.....The Benchrest cartridge of the 1800s..........Easy to load for, easy on the shoulder, amazing accuracy. Rebore from 30-30 to 38-55 is very easy.
+1

Mainehunter :wink:
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I agree with the last two post....AND I HAD JES DO THE REBORE(thats the guy in the link)ON MY 1894. He is a super good guy to deal with and at least my rifle is amazingly accurate. I could not recommend anyone higher!
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

You read new barrel makers speaking of air-gauging and all sorts of fancy things to assure exact cutting and perfect straightness.

So.....

How does it work when someone re-bores a barrel? I get the 'straight' part, because you could guide off the original hole, but how do these guys get the rifling done and how do they make it actually uniform in depth without chatter marks, and so on...???
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Jess Ocompaugh did a Winchester 94 30-30 for me. Rebored to 38-55 and chambered, nothing to do to the action. It shoots great, very accurate and easy to reload.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Barrels, like scope bodies; need to be " aligned " with a horizontal axis.
This process involves placing the object in two " vee blocks " and rotating the object 360 degrees through a complete arc with a known reference.
Between the two " vee blocks " is a downward pressure screw device, the operator; ( and this is a craftsman's chore ) rotates the barrel ( or scope tube ) in a 360 arc and bends the parent material untill it is concentric.
This is old school tech. but this is the way it is done.
If you start with a bent barrel, you will NEVER get to where you need to be.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Why not just buy a new barrel chambered in your favorite flavor?

:?:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I can tell you from experience, not many are interested in doing anything in .348!
I am still in limbo on a few projects, one of them being a barrel in 348, but a wild cat cartridge, a 338 Marlin Express necked up to .348 (or 358) but dang few will do the .348.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

JES doesn't do the 348, but you might check Clearwater reboring, they might. Other suggestions would be a 35 Winchester, 356 Winchester, or 38-72Win. I just had him do a Marlin to 356Win. As soon as the wind stops howling, I might make it to the range.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

I took some measurements and the holes for the sights are too deep to turn this one into a 348. I guess I will have to wait for the new model 71's.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

A few years back H&R offered a 35 whelen barrel for around a $100.00
that was befor the change

ollogger
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

ollogger wrote:A few years back H&R offered a 35 whelen barrel for around a $100.00
that was befor the change

ollogger
I was just checking their site and they say they still have some. Might be worth a call.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Elmo welcome to the forum. You'll find that the this is about as great a bunch of guys anywhere on the net. There are thousands of years of experience here. That said for all things on a Handi rifle the fellows over on graybeards outdoors forum have the market cornered. Check them out at http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?board=126.0

If you explore further you'll find a classified section there where folks buy, sell and swap Handi everythings. Barrels are always coming and going. Even though the factory won't sell a barrel without fitting it for you, there are instructions on the forum on how to fit a different barrel.

One of the most popular calibers there is the .357 magnum that they ream out to .357 Maximum.

I'm afraid to admit it here, but I am a Handi Holic. I don't know how many I have, don't want to count them but I'm always finding another one that needs a good home. Be careful though, I started with a single Handi from Wal Mart in .30-30.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.