Appropriate Scope for a Marlin Lever

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

Appropriate Scope for a Marlin Lever

Post by Woodtroll »

Hello, folks,

For reasons that I don't need to rehash here because we've already talked about it many times :wink: , I find it is time to move from receiver sights to a scope in my hunting rifle. I am using a Marlin 1895 on which I had a long octagon barrel installed, then built my own stock and hardware to make it look "vintage". I had it rust blued, so everything about it looks like a gun from the earlier 1900s or so.

I would like to find a scope that at least looks appropriate on the rifle, and would prefer a steel-tube "straight-tube" (no objective bell) to match the finish and look of the rifle. A gloss black scope with a huge forward bell just looks wrong to me on this type of rifle, and sits way too high since I designed this stock to line up on my eye with iron sights. I also would prefer at least a 3x, possibly a 4x magnification. I tried a 2.5x scope one time just out of curiosity thinking it would be a big improvement over the iron sights, and I swear it made things look FARTHER away, although clearer. I find I need about 4x just to "break even" with what I see through receiver sights. I cannot explain why this is so- I guess it is just my eyes.

Anyway, I am aware of the straight-tube Leupold M-8 and the Weaver K-3 as examples of the type of scope I am looking for. I may even go for the "long and thin" look of the Weaver K-4, and would be interested in something with that look that could still be mounted in the standard receiver mount holes.

So educate me, please. What's out there that would suit my needs? Specific opinions or suggestions are appreciated- what models or variations are best, and what should I stay away from? I know that there were several generations of Weavers, for example. Or, is somebody currently making something that looks appropriate that is still affordable? I would like to have the best possible optics (i.e., field of view, light gathering, and optical quality) available in a scope of this type, and the scope would have to be fog-resistant as I hunt in all kinds of weather, but I don't know how far back and what to look for to get an acceptable compromise of optics and "vintage" appearance.

Thanks for listening, take care!
Regan
Running the ridges and rivers of Virginia's southern Appalachians
Remington40x
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Appropriate Scope for a Marlin Lever

Post by Remington40x »

My go-to scope for hunting rifles, other than varmint rifles, is the Leupold 1.5-5x. I prefer the Vari-XIII, although the newer models are also fine. I set it to 3x and only change it if I'm sitting on the edge of clearcut.

You might also look for an older Redfield Widefield in 2-3/4, which is quite useful on a deer rifle, particularly in the woods.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I've had very good luck with Bushnell 1.5X-4.5X rifle scopes. They're sturdy built with bright optics. I paid less than $75. on eBay.

TR

Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

I have an older Weaver 1.5 to 4.5 that is perfect on my Model 95 Guide Gun. I would recommend a compact scope that is variable in that range. Good woods scope on the lower powers and the 4.5 is good enough for longer distances.
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here are a couple - one is an old long tube steel Weaver. The other is an old Leupold 4x.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

Found a pic of my Guide gun with the Weaver 1.5 x4.5 scope. Pic is the first deer I shot with the Guide Gun and the scope combination. 190 ranged yards with two rangefinders. Pic is before we gutted out the doe and I just put my rifle down on her and snapped the picture. The 45/70 cartridge was one of my own reloads using a Lee .459 hollow base cast bullet.

A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I find the 2.5X Leupold Scout has enough power for any shot I should be taking with a 45-70 (personally, with my own limitations in place...I ain't no Anny Oakley :oops: ) For a conventional scope, I don't see much use for anything over 4X, and I love my VXIII 30mm 1.5-5X set between 2 and 4 somewhere. Your MMV..I'm very much a scope novice. Don't really like the dang things that much. I can shoot them open sights about as good as anything else out to about 100 yards.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I guess I balance the scale vs. BlaineG - I prefer 10x over other scope magnifications, since if it's close or moving I'll prefer aperture sights anyway. Maybe for twilight 'light-gathering' I'll take a large-bell 3-4x. I just don't have good enough vision to do like some guys who shoot a golfball-sized target at 100 yards with a 2.5x scope - I won't even be able to make out the target unless I'm at least up past 5 or 6x, maybe 4x IF it's a black bullseye on white paper, but definitely not if it's a hunting situation. Longer ranges are proportionately worse, of course.

I find that I can steady-hand offshoot 10x without too much problem if the gun balances well.

So for me, 5-20x is perfect all-around magnification, and 10-40x for heavier, longer-range guns.

OTOH, I have an old Weaver K-12 that looks good on a Marlin 45-70 Cowboy, even though it's not a 'straight tube' - both are really 1970-1980's products anyway; perhaps a true 1895-era gun I'd want an 'old' style scope on, but that K-12 allows me to whack gongs or melons out past 300 yards if I want (at least I can SEE them, anyway).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

When I had Marlin "Cowboy" rifles I ALWAYS used tang sights as I thought it looked more appropriatte . Now with that being said "if it were me" I'd be looking for a nice "period" Weaver K2.5 or K3 typically the ones I prefer are marked " K3 60B El Paso Texas" . I also have a number of older Weaver KV scopes , this is a variable they made in the late 50's and early 60's that went from 2 3/4-5x and you have to remove a cap to adjust the magnification. I think I have 4 or 5 of those mounted on my 444's now . Also have 3 or 4 of the old Weaver V8's , this was also a scope from the late 50's early 60's that had the windage and elevation adjustments in the rear ring and the scope was 2-8x but the power was changed the same as any scope today . I have several of those on my 444's as well !

I have a piar old older Redfields in 1 3/4-5x and 1-4x that are also very nice optically the 1 3/4-5 has what Redfield called the Wideview with the TV screen shapped picture .

If you want a new scope i would suggest the Leupold VX2 1-4 or the Leupold Hog Hunter 1-4x . The reticles are a little different in the 2 Leupolds and the Hog scope is $230 as opposed to about $350 for the VX2 .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Antietamgw
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Antietamgw »

I like the Leupold 1-4X with heavy duplex reticle. Mine are Vari-X II's, maybe the newer models are even better optically. The heavy duplex stands on extremely well in low light. I have a couple on leverguns and 1 on an AR15, been real happy with them and you can't beat the warranty.
Keep your sword and your plow share, know how and when to use them.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Take a look at the Malcomb type scopes. Long skinny tubes and 4x or 6x. Look them up on Buffalo Arms. You probably don't want the full length tubes they use for BP Silhouettes but they sell shorter ones too. I think they look great on an octagon barreled rifle.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodtroll »

Thanks for the help, everyone, I really appreciate it. It still looks like the steel-tube Weavers are my first choice, although some of the newer scopes are tempting. I really like the Malcombs, too, though!

For those of you that have the old US-made Weavers, how much optical quality am I giving up by going with one of those as compared to the new Leupolds or something similar. Any idea what the eye relief is on the Weaver K2.5 or K3?

Thanks again!
Regan
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Woodtroll wrote:Thanks for the help, everyone, I really appreciate it. It still looks like the steel-tube Weavers are my first choice, although some of the newer scopes are tempting. I really like the Malcombs, too, though!

For those of you that have the old US-made Weavers, how much optical quality am I giving up by going with one of those as compared to the new Leupolds or something similar. Any idea what the eye relief is on the Weaver K2.5 or K3?

Thanks again!
Regan
Clarity is a bit less in some but as clear as others in the old Weavers . The new Leupold is obviousely clearer but then a nice used K3 is no more then $100 at the most and a nice new Leupold 1-4 be it the Hog Scope or a VX2 is gonna set u back $230-350 .

I have a really nice K3 on my Marlin 336-44 44 MAG and another on my Marlin Retro 444P and they are both very clear .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Here are some K3's on a 444 rifle !

The circa 1966 Retro 444P 19" !

jackruff
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jackruff »

A Weaver 1-3x20 sits on my 336 30-30. There was one on my 1894ss .44 magnum, but I took it off in favor of a Skinner peep.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I am not going to do it.................................................AGH!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

This is not really what you asked for but I'm gonna tell ya what I did. I bought a Mueller optics sport-dot for my 1895 Marlin in 45-70 LOVE IT!! After several thousand rounds of full house 45-70sand several years, I did shoot it loose, went to put up to my shoulder and cross hairs were now a big X oops. I called them up they told me to send it back with a check for the postage and 3 days later I had a new scope in my hands. It is good quality not great quality but I LIKE THE VERY SMALL RED DOT and they have held up well for me and they are not too big or cumbersome on a lever. I kinda like them , in that my 30-30, 35 remington, 444, and 45-70 all wear that same scope now. Just what I did and I am happy with them. They are available on fleabay and most of the time from sportsmans guide. Good luck
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

If you need glass and magnification, anything low powered that has a sight picture that is instantly "there" and can stand up to years of moderate recoil and maybe a drop from a tree or three without losing zero would work. I've a preference for Bushnell products, their glass maintains a clarity at dusk and dawn that works for me.

If you just need fast hunting sights for short to moderate range, any of several brands of red or green-dot holo-sights is the ticket.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

There seems to be some consensus... here's one of mine:

That's the only scoped Marlin I have - the rest are open sighted.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

IMO the Leupold 1.5-5x is the best option optically - looks like what you have.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Some options:

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

For the vintage look nothing's better than a Malcolm scope by Leatherwood, pg 11:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Griff, you must be a lot more careful than I :D :D :D

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote:Griff, you must be a lot more careful than I :D :D :D
As our Canadian friends would say, "Eh?" Remember, I'm a SASS shooter, even my "pretty" ones are tools, dropped, thrown and knocked about. But, yes both my rifles that wear "glass", are treated with more care... even hunting!

I don't HAVE one of those, tho' I love the 'LOOK', but I do understand that the reproductions are more rugged than the originals!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

jackruff wrote:A Weaver 1-3x20 sits on my 336 30-30. There was one on my 1894ss .44 magnum, but I took it off in favor of a Skinner peep.

another vote for the Weaver 1-3x, looks and feels right and not hard to find.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Griff, a friend mine put one on a Browning 1885 and believe me rugged is not a descriptor I would apply to it. Doesn't look like it would take any degree of jostling,

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Old Savage wrote:IMO the Leupold 1.5-5x is the best option optically - looks like what you have.
Bingo! This one has the "European" reticule too - which is just a heavy reticule which I like!
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

OS is that a K-2 Weaver in the middle of your "options"?

That and the K-4 are both classic lever scopes.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I think it is a K-3.

jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

Take a look at the Leupold VX-1 2X7. I have them mounted on two of my Marlins. I like the set-up.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Old Savage wrote:I think it is a K-3.
Split the difference! I forgot about the 3x. That was before the 2 or 4 I think...
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Retro
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Retro »

The Weaver K-x scopes are certainly period appropriate. But IMO scope technology was in its infancy, and those scopes, while sometimes better than iron, are not really so good. My brother inherited a 22 Hornet boltgun with a K-4 and it's OK, I can get an inch and a half at 100, but with better glass I'd shoot that thing a lot better. But, that's the way our grandfather shot it, that's the way we keep it, and it's a safe queen.

That Malcolm has some serious steampunk chutzpa. As would something Unertl, but I suspect those are seriously big dollar these days.

My 336 wears a 4 x 36 Tasco, which is not inappropriate for a 336 I don't think.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Actually retro, I think you can consider anything appropriate that is made in the same period. That is a wide range for the 336. You can slice that finer and finer but I put shooting first.

BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

SWFA is offering a 3x fixed power Leupold, apparently an exclusive through them.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

8) 8) 8) I just got a half price deal on a Leupold Scout Scope set-up in our classified section. I love that set-up on short range rifles..... :D
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

BobM wrote:SWFA is offering a 3x fixed power Leupold, apparently an exclusive through them.

If I were in the market for some new low power fixed I do believe I'd give it a try !

http://swfa.com/Leupold-3x20-FX-II-Rifl ... 50855.aspx
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Perfect.

new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

Burris FFII 2-7x35 on my Marlin 444 .....

Cheers,

Carl
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I like the 2.5X Leupold Ultralite, outstanding eye relief for a 444, and feel levers work real well with the current 1-4X variables. Mounted low with an offset hammer extension is real hard to beat for handy and fast.

It seems real common for eye relief to shorten with advancing magnification with variables. I like 4" of relief.
Last edited by Canuck Bob on Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodtroll »

Good input, folks, I really appreciate it. I especially appreciate the pictures, which help me get a feel for how different options will look on my own gun.

Y'all take care,
Regan