Prairie Chicken

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Prairie Chicken

Post by Marlin32 »

Just returned from morning's prairie chicken hunt, (more of a getting dog in shape exercise, chickens are a bonus) Yasha, the St Usuge Spaniel, did some good work in windy conditions, great point, I flushed and killed and she retrieved.

Wife making me lunch now, the Post Cornhusker Football chili is on the stove (made with fresh garden picked tomatoes, serrano peppers, habanero, and one ghost pepper. Little piquin powder thrown in.

What does that have to do with leverguns? well, I am perusing Gunbroker etc for lever guns before Huskers come on.

"lever" I have eye on is the 1885 High Wall (Winchester's) modern, 325wsm, and oddly, the 300 H&H has my eye. The two are very close ballistically, enough so that at 350 yards, the elk, moose or caribou won't notice. Esecially with custom or loaded ammo, 200 and even 220 grain in either. Moderate recoil as the High Walls are pretty heavy.

What are thoughts on the 300 H&H????
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Prairie Chicken

Post by Streetstar »

Did the prairie chicken go in the chili pot already, or are you using more conventional ingredients?

I'm from Oklahoma, so have always had a begrudging bit of respect for the Cornhuskers (although the golden age of the classic Huskers/Sooners matchups was a long time ago now -- used to be a Thanksgiving wkend tradition)

I hope they do well today ! :)

The 300 H&H is a great old classic cartridge ! HAs a more gradually tapered neck than its children, (the win Mags and 300 weatherby ) -- so it feeds smooth ---- is a bit faster than the '06 , plus has style ! (style points dont put meat in the freezer admittedly, but i like shooting "cool stuff" when i can)
The '06 is stepping into H&H territory now with the Hornady Superformance powders, but then again, i wonder what the H&H would do with that same powder -- at the very least , it'll throw a 180 or a 200 gr pill in instances where the '06 needs to be throwing a 165
----- Doug
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

No, the chicken will get marinated and grilled, most likely Monday evening.
I have the same grudging respect for the Sooners, have sat through many a' war with those two on the field. THat is what college football was about!
I was talking Jack Mildren the other day, Husker fan (younger than me) did not know who he was. Shook my head, and bringing him a tape of the 71 game. Right when the Big 8 went to 12, the Sooner Husker rivalary was doomed, attended a good one in 2001, but that was the last. Too bad. Hoping down the road we get a non-conf series going.

I am looking hard at that 300 H&H, but my problem is I have a fetish for the 8mm. But the 325wsm is hard to find, and harder still to find one NIB, I am a bit shy about buying a used one, when I can get the H&H New.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I like the old 300 H&H, have a 721 Rem in one, Ive had it for 25 years & used it alot for 15yr
mine liked a 200 speer or a 200 partion the best & they ran bout 2900 fps
and yes the 1885 has sparked an intrest in me also, but an old lever Winchester always
leads me astray

ollogger
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

That chili sounds like it can double as a rust remover and an epoxy stock finish remover.

Bob in Friday Harbor
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I like PC hunting, especially when they cooperate for dog work. Now the 300 HH, that is a magnum length action cartridge that can be ballistically duplicated a lot of ways without as much effort. It is very effective and respected, so you have to just want it for whatever personal reasons.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Thanks all. About what I was thinking.
Headed out chicken hunting again today, is tough as alot of CRP as been hayed for the drought, now, the chickens love hayed crp, but dang hard to get into shooting distance, That is why I go later in morning/afternoon, get them into some taller grass, if they haven't been pressured much, will hold for the dogs. Fun.
Taking the 28ga again today. Yep, 28ga on prairie chickens.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I LOVE upland bird hunting, and Prairie Chickens are on my bucket list along with sharptails, and sage grouse.
My dream upland game gun (besides a English style straight grip SxS) is a 1887 Winchester a Chiappa clone very very acceptable.
http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/832
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Streetstar wrote:Did the prairie chicken go in the chili pot already, or are you using more conventional ingredients?

I'm from Oklahoma, so have always had a begrudging bit of respect for the Cornhuskers (although the golden age of the classic Huskers/Sooners matchups was a long time ago now -- used to be a Thanksgiving wkend tradition)

I hope they do well today ! :)

The 300 H&H is a great old classic cartridge ! HAs a more gradually tapered neck than its children, (the win Mags and 300 weatherby ) -- so it feeds smooth ---- is a bit faster than the '06 , plus has style ! (style points dont put meat in the freezer admittedly, but i like shooting "cool stuff" when i can)
The '06 is stepping into H&H territory now with the Hornady Superformance powders, but then again, i wonder what the H&H would do with that same powder -- at the very least , it'll throw a 180 or a 200 gr pill in instances where the '06 needs to be throwing a 165
So why bother with a 300 H&H ? If your 30-06 duplicates it with Superformance, you gotta move up to 300WINMag to see any real difference. Just curios :P
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I have direct experience with the 375 H&H in a Ruger #1. The tapered case feeds into a single shot very well. Where the big case of the H&H shines is when one loads up heavy bullets IMO. The 308 gives some ground to the 30-06 and the 30-06 gives some ground to the 300 H&H with heavy bullets. I think it is the achilles heel of the super short magnums. They really perform in the mid range bullet weight arena. I also like a case with a longer neck for no good reason I can justify.

If you have Ken Waters book he is fond of it and states from some research that the 300 H&H is the most efficient of the big 300s of the time. I've never heard anyone else call it that but the guy knew a bit about rifles and reloading.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ji: I am very sorry indeed that I opened this thread and saw that long-barreled Winchester 1887 clone you posted. Now I must have one, but fortunately it is not offered in 10-gauge.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That chili sounds like it would cook itself. Those ghost peppers have been measured on the Richter scale. I thought all True Husker Fans ate a Runza during the game. My Dad is a Sooner fan from the Bud Wilkinson days, so I used to see all the Thanksgiving day games. Luciuos, LeRoy, and Dewey sure aren't Donald Duck's nephews, and there was a Rogers with a big N on his helmet who could really run.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Many eat Runza's that is for sure. I remember the Selmon boys, Jack Mildren, Crosswhite,Wylie, Pruitt, and a whole bunch more. Many I don't care to recollect (Elvis Peacock, Buster Rhymes)

Have met Mr. Rodgers, (no not that Mister Rodgers) Have his autograph even, see him around on occasion.

Sometimes I pop in the '71 game that has the KFAB radio Broadcast, it is a hoot. I still get nervous and pace around the room.