Wife affecting funds

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Wife affecting funds

Post by Panzercat »

Okay, so we all know who really controls the gun budget in our households, but I've come to an interesting realization as of late. First, it's important to note that my wife is not an avid shooter of any sort. The most she'll shoot so far is the .22 because it's fun. Other than that its like pulling teeth to get any sort of budget wiggle room... Except when it comes to pieces she likes.

Will she shoot these pieces? No, not likely. But they are aesthetically pleasing. I got her buy-in on the Davidsons Mossberg 464 because it has a nice look to it. The 10/22 was a fun rifle so that was easy even though it is, at the moment, a black rifle which incidentally earns less budgetary leeway. The 1911 I plan on getting also seems to have the preliminary green light. Where as she was happy when I parted company with the Keltec SU-16 and the hi-point (don't judge me! ;) ). I guess the moral of the story is that even if they're not going to shoot a darn thing, their input is apparently still critical to your long term sanity :D

And hey, here's some pics. Just because :)

Top- Ruger 10/22 w/Butler Creek folding stock.
Bottom- Davidson's Mossberg 464. Ironically slightly lighter than the 10/22.

An Umarex/Reagent R200s, spouse approved.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Wife affecting funds

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I love to see a man with a plan!! :wink:

You are slowly wining her over to your side! :D
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

No judgement here on what you keep or get rid of based on trying to keep peace in the home. I'm lucky that PillHer likes to shoot.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Nice pieces!

-------ps.......build up a secret stash. 10 bucks here, 20 there.................oh dear, I put $50 in the gas tank when you really put in 35. Buy cheap..............sell high. Wear dirty clothes when buying.....wear your best when selling. The money tree will grow faster when fertilized. :D ----Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:Nice pieces!

-------ps.......build up a secret stash. 10 bucks here, 20 there.................oh dear, I put $50 in the gas tank when you really put in 35. Buy cheap..............sell high. Wear dirty clothes when buying.....wear your best when selling. The money tree will grow faster when fertilized. :D ----Sixgun
Go "shooting" with an empty gun case. Come back with the new one 8) Luckily, I've been single for about 15 years, and have no problems with whatever the heck I want to do.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

You got a plan! A man's gotta have a plan. :D

I tell mine I don't drink, cheat, have a boat, an airplane, or run around spending big money at bars and strip joints on the road like many of my peers. With the thousands I'm NOT spending on those pursuits I'll dang well spend a bit on guns here and there and she had better be OK with it because the options if she's not OK with it are bad. She's smart. As long as our finances are good - SHE'S GOOD.

Now that said, I am not against the notion of taking a two gun case to "the range" and coming back with something I didn't leave the house with. Nothing says a man's gotta kick the hornet's nest when he can just walk on by it.

:mrgreen:

Oh, and I LIKE that 464!! How's it shoot?

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Ya gotta have a plan and work it the way ya have to within the restriction ya got. Bring her along slow but steady.
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

If I have the money and no foreseeable expenses in sight, I go and buy it. That system seems to work for me. I used to show my wife every purchase, but now they mostly just go in the safe.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Yep, when I come home with a new toy, I just tell her I bought it with my beer money (although I haven't had a drink since June 1, 1987 :lol: )
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

olyinaz wrote: Oh, and I LIKE that 464!! How's it shoot?
Oly
Packs a wallop! It's pretty light for a 30-30, but has some serious attitude in the recoil. Barrel is 16.25 and points quickly, firesight allow for fast aquisition. Very accurate out of the box and I have very few complaints for such a 'budget' lever rifle; especialy one that looks as sexy as this one.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

mikld wrote:Yep, when I come home with a new toy, I just tell her I bought it with my beer money (although I haven't had a drink since June 1, 1987 :lol: )
That's why you have so much beer money coming...

Panzercat, how long before you start coming home with guns like this:

"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Don't discuss your private business with your wife. All she'll do is worry and burn your toast.

If she expresses concerns about the finances, take away her shoes and tell her to get her caboose back into the kitchen.

My grandad said this works well because women are happiest when they know their place.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

FWiedner wrote:Don't discuss your private business with your wife. All she'll do is worry and burn your toast.

If she expresses concerns about the finances, take away her shoes and tell her to get her caboose back into the kitchen.

My grandad said this works well because women are happiest when they know their place.

:)
The Good Lord gave woman small feet so they could stand closer to the stove and ironing board :twisted:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

You've obviously never come across the same "package" deal that I do, EVERY time I buy a new gun.

Y'see, the "package" deals I bring home are: 1) gun, and 1) piece of "bling" (jewelery).. ;) . ;)

(Guess who gets the "bling" ?)

:mrgreen: . :mrgreen: . :mrgreen: . :mrgreen: . :mrgreen: . :mrgreen:

horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

The best thing I ever did to get the wife to loosen up on the funds for guns is convience her they are an investment.

If you find a true bargin, go ahead and pick it up and then flip it quick for a profit.

I picked up a S&W 642 with crimson trace grips for $350, I let her shoot it a couple of times which she didnt like the recoil. I then flipped the gun and sold it for $500 bucks within 2 months of the purchase. When I told her she could have the $150 profit and took and spent the rest on a gun I intended to keep. Now, if I tell her its a good deal, she trust my opinion and gives me the head nod alot quicker on a purchase.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Well, well......This is gettin' good. I've been married 40 years and I can say a woman's attitude can change like the weather. There have been times when I walked in the house with a small bag of brass and she says. "HOW MUCH IS THAT SETTIN' US BACK??? :evil: " Then there's times I have walked in the house with a 3 thou. Winchester and she say's, Good, I'm glad your happy, you work hard and deserve it".

Blaine, I never thought of the "empty guncase" thingy. Good one! I have another trick...I leave a certain bsement window open and I built a ledge right under it so thats all I have to do is pop the window open and lay down the Colt, Winchester, whatever, and then just walk in the house , say Hi and head on downstairs to retrieve the booty.

But...you do have to throw 'em a bone from time to time. Just today (I'm off) I suggested we go food shopping together. She got all excited and down the road we went. While in the market I told her to throw whatever she wanted in the cart and she took me up on that by adding lots of meats. When we got to the checkout line I said, "I hope you have plenty of money and that I'll go wait out in the Jeep". :D Ha! No...no...no...I paid for it all, she's Italian and would have bopped me in the head with a potroast had I pulled something like that.

It must have been guilt on my part as that basement window ledge caught a like new Marlin Model 39-A, (made in 1945) and a NIB Universal M-1 Carbine (made in 1972) over the weekend. :D ---------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Sixgun wrote:Well, well......This is gettin' good. I've been married 40 years and I can say a woman's attitude can change like the weather. There have been times when I walked in the house with a small bag of brass and she says. "HOW MUCH IS THAT SETTIN' US BACK??? :evil: " Then there's times I have walked in the house with a 3 thou. Winchester and she say's, Good, I'm glad your happy, you work hard and deserve it".
Thats kinda the way mine is when she "busts " me with a new toy --- but she knows i'm immature for my age and attempts to change me have thus far been futile

I have a small office off my garage where i work from a lot -- said office also contains my gun locker - truck pulls into garage, gun leaves truck and immediately goes into gun locker

I don't ask -- if i have the bucks and it doesnt put the family into dire straits, i buy it -- To her, all my hobbies are the same -- a new gun is no different than me blowing through 1500 bucks on a topend rebuild of my dirt bike --- building a new house sucks more money in a single week than my gun hobby has in years (that saidm, it has been a while since i bought a gun, because it would be silly of me when i need to be buying things like paint and lumber )

I did inventory and show her everything i had one day so she would know we had some items of value in the house ---- she was amazed at how much gun "stuff" i had accrued in the 5 or so years since i went off the deep end (back then i just had a bolt rifle, a shotgun, an AR and a couple of handguns )
----- Doug
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Sixgun wrote:Nice pieces!

I second this strategy! exactly what I do. if you can save up money a little bit at a time, and you aren't taking out a big chunk from the bank account, there is really no problem to be had. its a win / win - just have to be patient.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Well, without making water on anyones Post Toasties, I just don't understand this at all. You actually have to ask your wife for "permission" to spend money on a firearm? :o My wife and I are both retired now, but a long time ago we both decided to keep our money seperate. There is one joint savings account we both put money in every month and use only for emergencies or large household expenses. We don't take any money out of that unless we both know about it. Other than that we have seperate checking accounts and split our household bills equally. She doesn't ask me what she can buy and I don't ask her either. It works for us quite well. Our house is paid for so that helps. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

rodeo kid wrote:Well, without making water on anyones Post Toasties, I just don't understand this at all. You actually have to ask your wife for "permission" to spend money on a firearm? :o My wife and I are both retired now, but a long time ago we both decided to keep our money seperate..

Some couples prefer to work together as man and wife with the household finances, -- some don't .

If you say, "Honey, i'm getting a new gun next week " , she might reply back , "but sweetie pie, did you forget about the new tires we need on the car. -- can we fit it all in?" --- and then it brings you back to reality --
it can be a good and healthy thing to have a system of checks and balances in the household, and is especially crucial if you have not entered your peak earning years just yet.

I earn triple the amount of money my wife does, but i still try to defer to her wisdom on a lot of things , --- if we had separate accounts , to me it would feel more like a "roommate" type relationship. Instead, we are drawing from the same pool, whether i buy a new toy or she buys a new $400 purse or pair of expensive shoes
----- Doug
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Cripes ! - We wouldn'ta had ANY money, at all, to retire on, if I was handling the family funds !

I always just gave her whatever I made; she always took care of the bills/books; she always saw to it that I had the $$ I needed when I wanted it.

I realized I was never very "good" w/money, but at least was sane enough to admit it. ;)

While it's worked for us these last 48 years, I can easily understand YMMV.

Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

rodeo kid wrote:Well, without making water on anyones Post Toasties, I just don't understand this at all. You actually have to ask your wife for "permission" to spend money on a firearm? :o My wife and I are both retired now, but a long time ago we both decided to keep our money seperate. There is one joint savings account we both put money in every month and use only for emergencies or large household expenses. We don't take any money out of that unless we both know about it. Other than that we have seperate checking accounts and split our household bills equally. She doesn't ask me what she can buy and I don't ask her either. It works for us quite well. Our house is paid for so that helps. God Bless.
Well, until we're at a place where money is less of a concern, it's more working together with the finances than outright objections. That said, I had to 'insist' on my first firearm for basic security concerns. She didn't see it as a nessesity when pair against paying the bills. I did. :)