dumb sight question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JollyWhiteGiant
Levergunner

dumb sight question

Post by JollyWhiteGiant »

I need to order some new sights for a Winchester 94 NRA rifle. The front sight I measure the entire thing from the bottom of the dovetail to the top for the correct hight right? is it the same for the rear?

The rifle had the bead broken off the front sight and it is getting a #2 tang so I need to order a folding rear for the dovetail.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

JWG, if you are installing a tang sight, have you considered just putting a dovetail filler in the rear sight dovetail, Brownells has them for just a couple bucks or so. You were correct on measureing the front.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

jnyork wrote:JWG, if you are installing a tang sight, have you considered just putting a dovetail filler in the rear sight dovetail, Brownells has them for just a couple bucks or so. You were correct on measureing the front.
Yes, to answer both your questions, but... I agree with jnyork about the filler.

The Marbles Folding Rear Sight does have some height adjustment in it. Not much, but some. Handy little buggers tho'!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JeffG
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JeffG »

wisdom from my father:

"dumb questions are easier to solve than dumb mistakes"
There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle

-Albert Einstein
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Yep, Jolly - the rear barrel sight is measured the same way.

The folder's a good idea with a tanger, since it can be sighted in for under 100 yards and the tanger for a longer distance - then the tanger unfolded when a long shot presents.

I've done it with a couple of rifles, a .375 BB94 & a .44 B92, and it worked out great. I used a Marble's-type long leaf folder, rather than the Lyman #16-type shorty.