A Home Defense Followup; You don't need an AR...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

A Home Defense Followup; You don't need an AR...

Post by Panzercat »

...Or a shotty or an autoloader of any sort, apparently.

Home of WWII veteran, 92, who coolly shot intruder dead with .22 rifle from his armchair had been targeted THREE times in August
Jones is adamant that he was within his right to shoot the intruder at the home. 'I didn’t go to war for nothing. I have the right to carry a gun. That’s what I told the police this morning,' according to the Enquirer newspaper.
Personally, I think the last word on home defense is not the caliber or round count, but the willingness to use it.
Good on him.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A Home Defense Followup; You don't need an AR...

Post by rjohns94 »

Amen
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Chalk one up for the good guys!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

rjohns94 wrote:Amen
+1.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The fact he shot him in the heart or close enough also helps. And at 92, he's probably got 80 years of shooting .22s.....

Still, stack the deck, not all .22 hits are lethal. A .22 got it done this time, but a .357, .44 or 5.56mm would be even better.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

It's a shame the P.O.S. put Mr. Jones in that situation. The burglar was found DEAD in a car with 2 accomplices....NOT in Mr. Jones' house. While I congratulate him for taking the only action that P.O.S. left him with,I have 2 words for Mr. Jones:
12-Gauge.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

The 22 rifle is no joke. Not all agree but for people who are not gunny I think the Ruger 10-22 with one of the factory high cap mags is a viable HD gun. Not loud, no recoil, but enough firepower to run someone out of your house.
dogngun
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dogngun »

Dave wrote:The 22 rifle is no joke. Not all agree but for people who are not gunny I think the Ruger 10-22 with one of the factory high cap mags is a viable HD gun. Not loud, no recoil, but enough firepower to run someone out of your house.
Actually, the .22 is no joke, period. I have 2 1950's High Standard Sentinel revolvers, one 2 1/2" and one 4" , both DA 9 with shot aluminum frame. I load them with Federal Auto Match ammo, a very accurate and consistent solid lead standard velocity round, the same as I use in my S&W .22 auto pistol. I would have no problem carrying these .22's, especially since HKS makes a speed loader for them...It's really a matter of shot placement and being cool in stressful situations.

Might not be the ideal defense round, but if that's what you have, use it.

I just turned 65, and I never leave the house without a handgun...older people are seen by some as easy targets.

mark
The GOP/teabag party - Anti American AND stupid.
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

First man I ever saw shot was shot with a 22LR. A little Jennings pistol. The guy was hit just below the sternum and dropped like a wet dishrag. He died an hour or so later.

No one I know is lining up to get shot by a 22 "mouse gun".
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Not trying to be argumentative, but I agree with the old boy's choice of a .22 rifle. He's 92 years old now, same age my Dad was when he died. Dad was tough, but getting older stinks, and I think this old boy knew that he could always put his rifle skills to work (very well) with his very familiar .22 rifle.

Since the cops had taken his rifle after he reported the incident, a bunch of the guys on the Ruger forum were getting started with a collection of $20 apiece to get him a new Ruger 10/22, but then a local from where the old boy lives chimed in to the discussion. It appears that this old guy has a lot of friends, he is not unarmed now, and he has a few more of the good locals keeping an eye out for him now, given that bad guys are sometimes known to seek revenge.

I think the old boy did just fine. He knows how to use that .22 pretty darn well. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I agree with DixieBoy, I can't imagine too many guys at 92 years old being as quick with a heavy hard kicking gun as they would be with a lighter .22 rifle, I know if I ever get to be 92 I will not be practicing much with a 12 gauge if I still have my 22.

Mr Jones did a fine job on that scumbag..
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

The .22 lr has put a lot of folks to rest (dead!), and from what I've read it's a nasty round to get shot with (as if any aren't). But, the .22 lr usually isn't a fight stopper; the bad guy can continue to be bad and die later...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

You gotta remember, a 92 yo dude does not get excited and blow his shot as a guy who still has 40 years ahead of him......... the old cat ain't got a whole lot to lose.

He did fine and I commend him for it. I'll still stick with a shotgun and a 1911.----I don't want to see the perp slowly drop, I want an instant "to the ground reaction"---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

1894c

Post by 1894c »

guido4198 wrote:It's a shame the P.O.S. put Mr. Jones in that situation. The burglar was found DEAD in a car with 2 accomplices....NOT in Mr. Jones' house. While I congratulate him for taking the only action that P.O.S. left him with,I have 2 words for Mr. Jones:
12-Gauge.
actually i was thinking .410... :O
PMWIZARD
Levergunner

Post by PMWIZARD »

You know what they say, NEVER TRUST A PERSON WITH 1 GUN, HE WILL DEFINITELY KNOW HOW TO USE IT.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

And honestly, look at those pics. I'm pretty sure that was a single shot something something.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

I don't see a rear sight on the barrel. It looks more like a single shot shotgun than a rifle to me.
deafrn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by deafrn »

PMWIZARD wrote:You know what they say, NEVER TRUST A PERSON WITH 1 GUN, HE WILL DEFINITELY KNOW HOW TO USE IT.
I've shot with a couple of people who - for one reason or another - ended up using one firearm for most of their recreational shooting, even when the gun wasn't the theoretical best choice from among their gun cabinet. Most of those people really did know how to use their favorites- even when they were not particularly gifted marksmen.

One of my old shooting buddies (far and away the wisest one) had a sizable collection of working firearms, all of which he could use competently; one day he said to me while looking over one of his rifles, "I don't shoot this thing enough to remember how to shoot it well." We both came to the conclusion that we had probably been better practical shots back when we each had fewer guns but were more familiar with them. For me, a familiar firearm (or car... or even computer) really does improve my effectiveness.
deafrn

"I wasn't ignoring you, I just couldn't hear you. Okay, NOW I'm ignoring you."