Accurizing Handi-Rifles

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Accurizing Handi-Rifles

Post by El Chivo »

How good are the best of the Handi Rifles for accuracy?

I see they have varmint calibers with bull barrels, that is intriguing. Also some other barrels that are quite long.

I have a youth sized one, it's ok but not the style for real accuracy. I was thinking a Savage bolt gun would be about the best, but am thinking of a better Handi as well.

The Ruger No. 1 thread made me think of it. I was thinking about a Ruger No. 1 Varmint but some have said they aren't consistent and the triggers are heavy.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Accurizing Handi-Rifles

Post by TedH »

I've got a couple of them right now. A 45-70 and a Superlight 243. They are both very good shooters. The biggest problem with them is the triggers which are usually in the 7-8 pound range from the factory. There is a wealth of information over at Greybeard Outdoors, including accurizing tips.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?board=126.0
NRA Life Member
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

I have a heavy barrel in 223 that shoots real well. The trigger could be better...but still does well from a solid bench rest.

Before its first firing....I floated the forearm and installed an o ring under the forearm hanger. It probably was not necessary; but I was bored at the time.

200 Yards

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Knew a guy who had a heavy barrel .243 NEF with a 4X scope that shot at/better than minute of angle. All he did was a trigger job.

Seen a few others that do quite good as well.
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

My first Handi rifle was a 30-30 which I purchased for my grandson.Later I bought a superlight for my self in .243 followed by a regular Handi in .270 and several 45-70's including the Buffalo Classic.They are all good.When I down sized my collection most of them went away but not thru any fault of theirs.
At present the 45/70 is the only remaining one and is my favorite and to me the most accurate of them all.I hunt with it regularly.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

There are some really (?) accurate ones out there. I have a .223 Rem. with a 12X scope and I can keep handloads inside 1"-1 1/2" @ 80 yards (I'm sure another shooter could best that), and I've read that some will do much less than that. But, the barrel is a 1-12 twist and it won't shoot 60 grain or larger bullet worth a hoot, and I get pierced primers if I shoot 5.56 Nato ammo through it. Haven't done a chamber cast yet 'cause I'm doing ok with 50 gr. and smaller bullets and mild handloads...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I have several Handis but the most accurate one I have shouldn't be by all rights. My .223 super light weight barrel has a 1:9 twist. I was out with Jr. one day while he was sighting something in. I decided to take the super light along in case I ran across a yote or something. While Jr. was taking some time to let his barrel cool I thought I'd use one of the lower bulls on his target. I put 2 55 gr Winchesters into a group just over 1/2". Not like I was bearing down or anything just kind of plinking, then I saw a box of Black Hills 62 gr stuff he had in the truck. I'd never shot any of those before so I thought I'd try one. I fired the 62 gr round into the same group and opened the group up to just under 3/4". I was quite pleased.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

mikld wrote:There are some really (?) accurate ones out there. I have a .223 Rem. with a 12X scope and I can keep handloads inside 1"-1 1/2" @ 80 yards (I'm sure another shooter could best that), and I've read that some will do much less than that. But, the barrel is a 1-12 twist and it won't shoot 60 grain or larger bullet worth a hoot, and I get pierced primers if I shoot 5.56 Nato ammo through it. Haven't done a chamber cast yet 'cause I'm doing ok with 50 gr. and smaller bullets and mild handloads...
Don't know about your gun but my handi 223 bore must be very fowled to shoot good, but will shoot 1/2" @ 100 quite often.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I got MOA groups from a .44 Mag Handi-Rifle that I bought pretty much just to see how good .44 Mag rounds COULD be at 100 yards. Didn't need that kind of accuracy for whitetail, and wanted a Marlin 1894c .357 more, so traded up for one.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

will shoot 1/2" @ 100 quite often
now you're talkin!
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
oneyeopn
Levergunner 1.0

Post by oneyeopn »

I had one in 30-30, lost it in a divorce! Spiteful woman...LOL....any way I took a lot of ferral hogs and deer with it in Northern Oklahoma and even a coyote or two. Wish I still had the gun, Planning on getting one, thinking about 45-70 or 243 but I dont know.
USMC
We are not in a post-cold war period, we are in an inter-war period!!
Rossi 92 in 45Colt
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I own a stainless 1 in 12" twist barrel polymer stock Handi in .223 which will shoot into a Nickel at 100 yards. I was fortunate that it came with a smooth 2.5 pound trigger pull straight from the box. I had to polish the chamber with Flitz to get it to reliably eject brass consistently. In my experience they don't start grouping consistently until you have at least a hundred rounds through the barrel. As with the Marlins after Remington take-over I have heard negative comments about quality control in H&R products since Remington took over. Also the MSRP has skyrocketed since Remington's take-over so they are not the bargains they used to be with several bolt guns in the same price range. I bought my stainless Handi new in 2005 for $195.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I have a Wesson & Harrington Buffalo Classic and an older H&R 157 "Mannlicher" in 22 Hornet. They are fairly accurate but if I could smooth or lighten the triggers they would really be good shooters.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If you go to http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/ ... 264.0.html which is the FAQ section.

There is information there on doing your own trigger job.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Rusty wrote:If you go to http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/ ... 264.0.html which is the FAQ section.

There is information there on doing your own trigger job.
Rusty, I've been to that site before but had no idea that they had that kind of info on it. I printed off "Trigger Improvement by Perklo" Thank you for the link.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Mine are both big bore models - 45-70 and 500 S&W. Both shoot about 1.5" at 100 yards for three shots - but as said, the triggers aren't the best. The 45-70's is OK but the 500's needs some work.

These are probably the best value going for the price.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!