Striking terror in mens hearts . . . . .

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Striking terror in mens hearts . . . . .

Post by Steelbanger »

. . . . . since the Garden of Eden.

This is a very small Ring Neck snake, yellow ring & belly. They also come with a deep pink belly & ring.
photo.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
bdhold

Re: Striking terror in mens hearts . . . . .

Post by bdhold »

good-looking reptile.

I'm glad it's not an ex-ring-neck snake.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

We have them also. They tend to like damp woodland environments like salamanders do.

The whole thing about being "scared of snakes" just amazes me; I've seen men who don't fear human assailants, raging bulls, or mountain lions, yet cower like little girls if there is a black rat snake around. Or they 'heroically' kill it, as if a 200-pound human killing an armless, legless, venomless, 1-pound snake is somehow 'brave'. :roll:

Most often the 'excuse' is that whatever the snake is, the killer wasn't sure if it was "poisonous" ('venomous') or not. That's the equivalent of shooting a neighbor's pet dog and saying you weren't sure it wasn't a wild wolf... :roll:

I guess we all have our fears, but geeezzzz....
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

That's the first snake my grandson caught. Freaked my daughter out!.

Research I did shows they are very mildly venomous. Absolutely no danger to people though.
The Lord Bless You

Terry
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Ajmd429 wrote "The whole thing about being "scared of snakes" just amazes me; I've seen men who don't fear human assailants, raging bulls, or mountain lions"..... I have a Brother in Law who is just that, He can face anybody or anything and never back down. but when He was in Nam long ago one of the Guys in His unit was messing with this little snake after He was told not to and got bit between the fingers.long story but it was pretty bad trying to save this Guys arm. He never got over it. :o .
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

AJMD429 wrote:We have them also. They tend to like damp woodland environments like salamanders do.

The whole thing about being "scared of snakes" just amazes me; I've seen men who don't fear human assailants, raging bulls, or mountain lions, yet cower like little girls if there is a black rat snake around. Or they 'heroically' kill it, as if a 200-pound human killing an armless, legless, venomless, 1-pound snake is somehow 'brave'. :roll:

Most often the 'excuse' is that whatever the snake is, the killer wasn't sure if it was "poisonous" ('venomous') or not. That's the equivalent of shooting a neighbor's pet dog and saying you weren't sure it wasn't a wild wolf... :roll:

I guess we all have our fears, but geeezzzz....
Drives my wife crazy when i catch critters and move them to another field rather than callously smash them with a shovel :lol: :lol:
----- Doug
Ironwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ironwood »

Those with the pink belly and ring are the ones I'm scared of. :D
Born in the Pineywoods of East Texas a long long time ago.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

[quote I guess we all have our fears, but geeezzzz....[/quote]

Mine are clowns, worse yet, midget clowns. :shock:
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Reminds me of the old comic strip B. C. where the woman chops every snake into 2" pieces with her hoe.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Don't get me wrong - if I lived in South America, Africa, or Southeast Asia, I'd be VERY scared of snakes. . . a bite from a Black Mamba or Boomslang 100 miles from the nearest medical facility is kinda different from a Copperhead bite 5 miles from the nearest E.R...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

[quote="AJMD429"]Don't get me wrong - if I lived in South America, Africa, or Southeast Asia, I'd be VERY scared of snakes. . . a bite from a Black Mamba or Boomslang 100 miles from the nearest medical facility is kinda different from a Copperhead bite 5 miles from the nearest E.R...

Perhaps you'd like to try an Arizona (or So. Cal) Mohave rattler--deadliest venomous snake we have here in North America with it's delightful cocktail mix of the "standard" pit viper's hemotoxin with the more cobra-like (mamba, krait etc) neurotoxin...Otherwise, any rattler, including the ubiquitous and ever lovely Diamondback - Western or Southern.- is not to be trifled with. No thanks :)
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Here in the islands the only snake we have in the wild is a blind snake which feeds mainly on ants, and maxes out at 6" though the majority are half that length. They resemble a earthworm at first. I believe they are native ti Malaysia but been around long enough that people call them "Hawaiian Snake".

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Most folks are only scared because they don't know that the average snake would be more than happy to give you a very wide berth if you let them.
if I lived in South America, Africa, or Southeast Asia, I'd be VERY scared of snakes
Hey Doc, you really need to come and see the land downunder. We have some of the best nasty critters the world has to offer.
At least in America the dang things rattle to tell you your in danger.

Hey, only in Oz would you get a song about a new chum who goes for a swim and asks "Are there any sharks in here," and gets told, "No, there used to be sharks in here but the crocodiles cleaned them out"
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Mouse traps can catch mouse hunters, in this case a cobra in the barracks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Is that snake really only as big as a pack of smokes?
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:Here in the islands the only snake we have in the wild is a blind snake which feeds mainly on ants, and maxes out at 6" though the majority are half that length...
One of my favorite states because of it too - among other things) :) :). ...and I understand Hawaii works hard at keeping it thay way. I love that you can fall asleep on the floor of the jungle and don't have to worry about dang snakes (bugs and boar maybe?)... probably the only such environments--that you'd actually call "places" to live--in the world like that, save for perhaps a very few very remote islands. I don't recall, do the dastardly sea snakes make their way there?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The huge constrictors they had in Panama made me a little nervous. Once, the bus was going thru the jungle road to the east side, and it stopped. A snake that was nearly the width of the narrow road was blocking the way. Then there was the time I was walking back from the NCO Club about 2am, and took a little shortcut.... :shock: :shock:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I will give all you snake lovers something to hate,------ME! I hate and am afraid of every snake I see. I had a deputy friend that got a call on a snake bit victim in california. He took some pictures and showed me. Very gory. This guy was hikeing and I guess leaned back against the mountain side or a steep embankment. I was told it was a timber rattler that struck him in the back between the shoulder blades it popped him open like he got hit with a axe! The blood boiled under the skin. Killed him of course.
I have shot a number of rattlers. Once I was picking up my daughter and girl friend from a swimming hole in a creek in california. I was carrying stuff back to the truck. The girls pomerainian was running toward me as the same time I spotted a huge rattler on the path. I shot the snake as I thought the dog would take after it and get killed. My daughter and girl friend gave me hell as did a couple other people a hundred yards away that would have walked right alongside the bush where I shot it.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

gak wrote:
Friends Call Me Ji wrote:Here in the islands the only snake we have in the wild is a blind snake which feeds mainly on ants, and maxes out at 6" though the majority are half that length...
One of my favorite states because of it too - among other things) :) :). ...and I understand Hawaii works hard at keeping it thay way. I love that you can fall asleep on the floor of the jungle and don't have to worry about dang snakes (bugs and boar maybe?)... probably the only such environments--that you'd actually call "places" to live--in the world like that, save for perhaps a very few very remote islands. I don't recall, do the dastardly sea snakes make their way there?
I used to run the carpenter shop at Honolulu International Airport. Once in a while we'd get a call to do repairs at the US Fish & Wildlife office, and in one of the rooms they had cages of animals confiscated on arrival. Saw mainly pet ferrets, hamsters, and Jerboas but also a variety of snakes and other reptiles. They are especially cautious of flights from Guam as the Brown Tree Snake introduced there during WWII has pretty much wiped out the bird population of Guam, and they don't want a repeat here. They are also extra cautious of Christmas Tree shipments from Mainland US as they have found all kinds of critters in there including rattlers and even a live possum.
No snakes to worry about but we do have huge centipedes and a few scorpions, I've been bitten twice. Boars usually not a problem as they will as a rule avoid human contact if they smell you first. That being said we did have a herd wander though my camp in a secluded valley where they didn't have any hunting pressure so not fear developed.
We have Yellow-bellied Sea Snake (Pelamis platurus) but they are rare (20 found over the years) and though very venomous not very aggressive.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

[img]but%20we%20do%20have%20huge%20centipedes%20and%20a%20few%20scorpions[/img]

I've had the pleasure of making personal contact with both while at Schofield. :evil: The centipede was by far the worse. The scorpion was more like a bad wasp sting. The 'pede made me sick for a few days with cramps and fever.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

My mother (75 at the time) almost died from a sting on her pinky by one of our bark scorpions--8 hours of IVs etc in intensive care. The one time I got stung (the ever popular foot in shoe) it felt like I'd been shot in the toe. When it struck it was the most painful of any such thing I've ever felt. Luckily just spent a few hours in the ER being checked out and dismissed without additional complications other than feeling a bit over-hyped by the most unpleasant experience.