Sometimes you "find" what you need.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Sometimes you "find" what you need.

Post by J Miller »

A friend from a quilting forum emailed me a link to a free sewing machine on Craig's List. We called and the machine was still there, got the address and headed on over. About two blocks from the house I spotted a flashlight in the gutter. My wife was driving so I had her pull into a gas station and I hoofed my way back to the flash light.
What I had found was an almost brand new 3 D Cell Mag Lite. A bit chewed up from hitting the asphalt, and the PR-3 blub was broke, but it was otherwise in good shape.
The spare bulb in the end cap was still good, so I put that in and it worked. Now I have a new Mag Lite. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

My old one has needed to go back to the factory for a rehab for a long time, then I let the dead batteries corrode in it, :cry: ... so I was thinking of buying a new one. Now I don't have to.

Strange how you sometimes find things you need.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Sometimes you "find" what you need.

Post by pwl44m »

Thats all well and good Joe,nice find but did U get the sewing machine ?
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Hey, that's MY MagLite - I was just up there yesterday, and it fell off my truck, really. . . :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Strange how that happens sometimes. I once walked too far from my hotel and was worried about making it back before I needed to call 911 for a rescue. I stopped to think over my predicament and looked down to see a $20 bill laying at my feet on the sidewalk. I picked it up and thought, "Cab". Just then a cab was passing by so I hailed it, caught a ride back to the hotel, and the cab fare with tip was exactly $20.

You can't make this stuff up Joe. Don't know why it happens, but it does.

Enjoy that Mag-Lite!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I need to find a sense of humor for the rest of the year :)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Perry,

Yes, I got the sewing machine. It's a mid to late 70s Sears Kenmore ZZ machine that needs cams for decorative stitches. It came in a wood cabinet and with a box of accessories.
Very nice machine, doesn't look to be much used, and has a couple stuck parts.
They're soaking in oil now. I'll have it sewing today.

Blaine,

I'm looking for mine too. I know it's around here somewhere. Just ... can't seem to find it.

Some years ago when delivering for Airborne Express in Scottsdale, AZ I found a Leatherman tool in a case on the road. Still have it in the glove box of my vehicle. It's come in handy and saved our butts a couple times.

Later my wife came home bragging. She'd found another one in a case as well. That one's in her truck.

People loose all sorts of things. I love it when I'm there to find it.

I even found a wallet once. Had 86 dollars in it with ID and other things. I made sure it got back to it's owner.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Good find Joe, i just bought a new four cell as my old one gave up the ghost.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Good for You Joe, I left early for work one day. a few miles down the road not far from a local bar was a steel tool box lying there with all of the pieces scattered around. many $$$ of hand tools all over the road. the owner must have been Very Drunk not to hear that box hit the street. :lol:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Pitchy,
I was getting ready to do that. Just didn't have the funds right now.

We're going to either send both old ones back to Mag-Lite or buy the parts and fix 'em up myself. At any rate they need worked over.

.45colt,
That's a case of "finders keepers, loosers weepers". :D

Joe
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

For a couple of years I used to cycle to work till I got hit and lost my nerve. During that time I learned to look real close as I came close to the RR crossing. It seemed like all manner of tools would come flying out of cars when they hit those tracks.
It pays to keep your eyes open.

Or it could be like my cousin used to do when he was a kid. He'd get one of his dad's pretty crescent wrenches and tie some dacron fishing line to it and lay the wrench in the road. When a car stopped he'd be hidding in the bushes off to the side of the road and he'd pull the wrench in.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Go to a popular fishing hole and throw in a old bedspring. Remember to tie a rope to it hidden to a branch. Its a good source to get a lot of nice fishing plugs!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Joe, maybe salvage is your thing and you just haven't realized it yet.

We are a throw-away society. there are plenty of examples of people just chunking out their stuff becuase it doesn't work and it's less expensive for them to replace it, or they just want a newer model and don't have the time to find a worthy owner for their old stuff.

In my neighborhood, when we have good usable stuff that we don't want or need, we just set it out in the alley for "whomever" to pick up.

Kinda like garage-saleing, but you don't need petty cash, or like collecting discarded aluminum cans but you don't have to "liquidate" your inventory to make it negotiable.

My MIL used to live across the street from a guy who made a career as a 'sanitary-engineer'. This guy collected enough stuff to make sure his kids all had good sturdy bicycles and all the toys they could play with. I believe he outfitted his house-hold with repaired appliances. Left him a pocket full of cash for groceries, clothing, rent, etc.

If you've got a good eye and a strong back at your disposal when you need it, there's profit there.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

Bought a kayak several years ago for excercise. Get about a 5 gal. bucket of fishing lures, floats etc. every month. Easy to reach the trees along the shore and retreive them. Always give them to any kids I see at the lake or the grandkids.

Don
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

I lost a black Mini-Mag one year while hunting. I found a camouflage Mini-Mag the next year at a camping place nearby. They do say, "what goes around comes around."

Olyinaz, your avatar looks like the 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment crest. I was a proud member myself. HHC, 1/505 from summer 1969 to the day after Thanksgiving 1971.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Saw a post recently about flashlights in phx. The blogger was maing fun of a news story about police being called over it. Only thing, seems someone has left a few of them around for people to find, and they are booby trapped with some sort of explosive.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/29/us/ph ... ights.html
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Marc wrote:Olyinaz, your avatar looks like the 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment crest. I was a proud member myself. HHC, 1/505 from summer 1969 to the day after Thanksgiving 1971.
Well hubba hubba! B Co. 2/505 - mid eighties. Did you happen to deploy to 'Nam with the 3rd Brigade (I can't recall the dates of that deployment)?

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

great find....great flashlight...
I have a few....from minis to the 4 cell
I found a 4 cell mag lite in the F-350 I bought.... :D
only used it a few times..
The flashlite I always grab is a 5" tall, 4 AA craftsman,
which is just as bright as the mag....and has a ring on the end
to hang it on stuff so I an hands free...I have used this little guy for at least
12 years or so....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

Oly, bet you didn't think anybody would recognize that! I didn't go to 'Nam. They had formed a 4th Brigade to replace the 3rd Brigade at Bragg in early 1968 when the 3rd went to 'Nam and that is where I was assigned. We had a different Battalion designation which I can't remember. The 3rd Brigade returned around the end of 1969-all that returned were a color guard with the colors. We had a ceremony and we became the 3rd Brigade and the 4th was deactivated. Wild times!
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Malamute wrote:Saw a post recently about flashlights in phx. The blogger was maing fun of a news story about police being called over it. Only thing, seems someone has left a few of them around for people to find, and they are booby trapped with some sort of explosive.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/29/us/ph ... ights.html
I saw that too. The paranoia of people never ceases to amaze me. The odds of that happening to any one person is beyond astronomical.

Joe
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Marc wrote:Oly, bet you didn't think anybody would recognize that! I didn't go to 'Nam. They had formed a 4th Brigade to replace the 3rd Brigade at Bragg in early 1968 when the 3rd went to 'Nam and that is where I was assigned. We had a different Battalion designation which I can't remember. The 3rd Brigade returned around the end of 1969-all that returned were a color guard with the colors. We had a ceremony and we became the 3rd Brigade and the 4th was deactivated. Wild times!
Indeed! I did not know that was how that went down. Hat's off to you sir!

(The convention was this past week. I've been getting reports back from the Panther Regiment hospitality suit and it sounded like it was a typically rip roaring gathering. :D )

http://www.505thpantherassoc.com

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright