M1A Socom 16

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

M1A Socom 16

Post by GonnePhishin »

Saw one the other day and was impressed with the way it shouldered up and balanced.
Does anyone have any experience with this model and it's 16 inch barrel? I know you lose some velocity with the shorter barrel but how is the muzzle blast? Better to go with a regular M1A Scout with 18 inch?

Finally, comparison to the Ar platforms out there?
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Re: M1A Socom 16

Post by Pisgah »

Both 16" and 18" are pretty stout in the muzzle blast department. I have not detected much difference between them. As far as velocity, the loss is very small and the difference in downrange performance is virtually nil.

As for comparisons with the AR -- well, they are different critters. Both are good platforms, each with advantages and disadvantages. Given an educated operator and proper routine maintenace, either is fine, IMO.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

My 16" LR308 doesn't have objectionable muzzle blast, which surprised me. AR is perhaps a bit more of a tinkerers rifle - unlimited upgrade and swap out opportunities. M1s start expensive and upgrades/modifications seem more expensive, but perhaps others will disagree.

Also, I have to say that I'm not a fan of M1As in tacticool drag. I want my Garand type rifles to feature wood please.

Still, they're nice and they hold their value! Can't go wrong.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Love mine!

Muzzle brake works quite well. I've run about a thousand rounds through it without a problem.
I love the size and weight. I had a full size M1A Match rifle but sold it after I got the SOCOM.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

Have a SOCOM also. Love it. No problems, about 1K down the bore. I bought it because I like the noise and muzzle blast. Shoots like a real man gun. :D

Don
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Nazgul wrote:I bought it because I like the noise and muzzle blast. Shoots like a real man gun.
8) 8)

Kind of like why Harley riders like their Harleys. . . that's why I 'needed' to get that .357 Ruger Alaskan... :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I have the Scout/Squad. I can't say the muzzle blast is objectionable. But, I reload, so I've worked on getting a load with reasonable velocity, works the action reliably, and burns fast enough to reduce powder burning outside the barrel. I ain't perfected it yet, but I'm getting there.

I've said before, and I'll say it again. The Scout/Squad is the weapon I'd rather have had than the M-16 (and yes, they were the original not the A1).
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I want one....badly. An AR is first on the list, even though i mildly dislike them, just because of the cost factor and I already have a lower receiver ready to go, but that SOCOM is a sweet shooting rifle.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Nice set up 2ndovc :mrgreen:

Is the flash suppressor removable or screwed on, or is it fixed? Are heavier barrel options available like in the national match ones?

I appreciate everyone's response. :)
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I like the SOCOM, I made one out of an M-14 by cutting the barrel to 16 ¼ inch and carried it in Iraq for a while with the selector they are a great car gun. Before Springfield started selling them my buddy and I cut a Barrel on a Match Receiver to 16 inches but had to open the gas port .012 to get it to cycle correctly. If you put a Smith Enterprise muzzle break on, it will cut down the jump a lot even on full auto.
I now have a AR-10 Carbine and a full size CIV M-21 set up. The AR10 shoots a little better than the SOCOM my buddy bought but both are great rifles.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

UncleBuck wrote:Nice set up 2ndovc :mrgreen:

Is the flash suppressor removable or screwed on, or is it fixed? Are heavier barrel options available like in the national match ones?

I appreciate everyone's response. :)
Muzzle break looks to be more of a "crush fit" like an S&W barrel and part of the front sight assembly.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Paladin wrote:I like the SOCOM, I made one out of an M-14 by cutting the barrel to 16 ¼ inch and carried it in Iraq for a while with the selector they are a great car gun. .

Paladin -- those shades and sterile uniform don't scream "US Military Advisor" at all , do they ? :lol: :lol: the only tell is the sfc badge

you sure get to play with some cool equipment it looks like :D
----- Doug
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Streetstar wrote:
Paladin wrote:I like the SOCOM, I made one out of an M-14 by cutting the barrel to 16 ¼ inch and carried it in Iraq for a while with the selector they are a great car gun. .

Paladin -- those shades and sterile uniform don't scream "US Military Advisor" at all , do they ? :lol: :lol: the only tell is the sfc badge

Heck, I like the color contrast between the vest and the BDUs. Real subtle. :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

jeepnik wrote:
Streetstar wrote:

Heck, I like the color contrast between the vest and the BDUs. Real subtle. :mrgreen:

:lol: For the longest time , the frag vests were only available in woodland (green) -- but there were cloth slip covers - almost like a fitted pillowcase, you put on them to match the uniform of the day (but they hardly ever got used) - i was in the dez a long time ago myself -- our folks packed up and shipped out so fast we didnt have time to wait on new chocolate chip uniforms -- it was almost a comical hodge podge of different equipment for the first few weeks until we were drop shipped fresh gear :D (No M-14's to play with though -- sorry for the OT ramble)

----- Doug
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

Paladin wrote:I like the SOCOM, I made one out of an M-14 by cutting the barrel to 16 ¼ inch and carried it in Iraq for a while with the selector they are a great car gun. Before Springfield started selling them my buddy and I cut a Barrel on a Match Receiver to 16 inches but had to open the gas port .012 to get it to cycle correctly. If you put a Smith Enterprise muzzle break on, it will cut down the jump a lot even on full auto.
I now have a AR-10 Carbine and a full size CIV M-21 set up. The AR10 shoots a little better than the SOCOM my buddy bought but both are great rifles.
Ok, I'm slightly confused, the US.Military allowed you to take a hack saw to an M14? In my 22 + years in the military, I've never heard of that.

Can you elaborate?
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Mike Hunter wrote:
Paladin wrote:I like the SOCOM, I made one out of an M-14 by cutting the barrel to 16 ¼ inch and carried it in Iraq for a while with the selector they are a great car gun. Before Springfield started selling them my buddy and I cut a Barrel on a Match Receiver to 16 inches but had to open the gas port .012 to get it to cycle correctly. If you put a Smith Enterprise muzzle break on, it will cut down the jump a lot even on full auto.
Ok, I'm slightly confused, the US.Military allowed you to take a hack saw to an M14? In my 22 + years in the military, I've never heard of that.

Can you elaborate?
There's some fellows who can pretty much do what they want to the firearms they use. The few I've met have always been a quiet spoken bunch. The type that when ask just say they are a soldier. No elaboration needed.

Hey Paladin, I took a look at one of the photo's my youngest sent back from Fallujah. Seems some of their gear was green. Just never paid attention until I saw your's with decent color rendition. He's the one in back.

Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I spent seven years on a rifle team (as long as it did not interfere with my normal duties they let me) with an M-14 and knew the system very well. When at 10th GP they wanted to issue FN 13in barreled Full autos to the team I was in charge of but found out they could not buy weapons on a government credit card. The LTC came back and offered any weapons in their inventory to replace them. To fill the requirement they let me pick M-14s from 2nd Bn with the only restriction that I not modify the receiver and everything else was OK. I took the weapons to a Gun shop off post that the gunsmith had worked for DCM and we cut the barrel to 16 1/4 inches and opened the gas port .012 so it would cycle on Full auto.
I also rebuilt 25 1911s with new barrels, springs, night sights, triggers and bushings for the rest of my team and the senior staff.

It is not the critic who counts
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

Ok, you’re a 10th Group guy, that may explain it. :lol:

5 years in 5th SFG (A) as a team guy; got out went to college and came back in as an officer. Spent another 5 years in 7th SFG.

Generally modifying weapons was frowned upon, they had to be pretty darn reliable and accurate, anything that would compromise that was a no go.

Normally if we had a unique operational weapons requirement, ie.. M14s with 16 inch barrels, the request would be sent to USSOCOM, then they will have it professionally made or modified. It would be nothing for USSOCOM to contract with CMC, SA or Smiths and have M14s with 16 inch barrels FEDEXd to them.
So I take it you were an 18 series guy, what MOS? Send me a PM…. Always like talking with SF brothers

V/R

mike