Leverguns - Rifle Magazine Nr 264

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Leverguns - Rifle Magazine Nr 264

Post by JohndeFresno »

Good little anecdotal article on Lever-Action Carbines by Brian Pearce in Rifle Magazine, September 2012 No. 264.

Among other things, it mentions the popularity of the Marlin .45-70 Guide Gun with Alaskan bear guides, and that handiness of a levergun for saddle carry, as well as an account of fast firing at a predator.

Conclusion of article:
"Leverguns certainly link us to a former era when life was filled with hard work and clean fun,
and they were used by the independent, determined souls who helped build this nation. However,
with their compact profile, speed, accuracy and power, most are still as modern and useful as ever. For a bonus we get handsome looks and warmth that few guns can equal."
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Leverguns - Rifle Magazine Nr 264

Post by Blaine »

Col. Jeff Cooper's writings convinced me to buy my first centerfire hunting rifle: 1895GS, in 2000 I think. Never looked back. I would like to get my M88 up and running for this year, but, may have to pinch pennies instead.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Thats a great "Rifle" magazine. Lots of other levergun stuff too, like the article on the Model 53 25-20.------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

I think I'll have to pick up that issue, sounds interesting. 8)

Dave B
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

His article on leverguns chambered in 357, years ago, is what caused me to buy my first 357 Marlin. I've always liked his style of writing.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Thanks for the heads up! I've always liked Brian Pearce's stuff. The conclusion is spot on.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

There's one declaration that Brian Pearce talks about that I find hard to believe. While he has vast knowledge and will probably forget more than I will ever know, I find his claims to consistant 1" to 1 and 1/2" groups at 100 yards from most of his leverguns with open or receiver sights a bit, well, fantasy land. Even with hot loads from his 45-70's. After shooting dozens of 45-70's (and tens of thousands of rounds) over the years I have only managed a handful of groups like that..........and they were sissy loads on a good day with no wind.

.454 Casulls sixguns shooting into 1" at 100? Maybe them. :roll: ---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD