Quiet shooting, don't wake the neighbors.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Quiet shooting, don't wake the neighbors.

Post by hightime »

I'm so happy. I finished a quiet chamber. It's attached to my air conditioned shop. I can now load some cartridges swivel my stool, load my gun, and shoot. My wife was about fifty feet away on the other side the shop. She said it sounded like a pop from my air nailer. She went in the house, another twenty feet and didn't even here me shoot four more rounds. That's good 'cause the stupid dogs normally bark. They didn't this time. Oh by the way, I have a good portion of the back field covered with my view. I'll sit there some in deer season too.
Those are stacks of wooden angled deflectors. I slid them into a insulated 20'' x20'' box 7' long.

Owen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Re: Quiet shooting, don't wake the neighbors.

Post by hightime »

I know it's a bit ugly, but it's on the back side and under a thick spruce tree.
I redid the end. Here's the finished project. I also inserted a sand bag into the shop end and built a new table on the inside the shop.

Owen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

UhOh... the Batmen are gonna get you for building a baffled suppressor...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

That's a great looking set up...and "Sounds" very effective... Cool!

But.. Be on the look out for unburnt powder accumulation ... wouldn't want it to start smoldering at some point...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Never thought of that. I might be useing fillers from now on. That should cure that.

Owen
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Just vacuum it out periodically, or make some way for powder that settles to fall out.

I knew a guy who did a similar thing out of his basement, and it went under-ground for I think 100 yards! He had fans to blow out the smoke, but even with smokeless powder, he could not fire more than a couple rounds every ten minutes or so. Still it didn't bother the neighbors - and had NO wind...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Wow that's quite a set up.

Owen
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Very nice.... :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Been wondering why i haven`t heard ya shootin lately. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

I sometimes shoot out of my shop door which provides a wider field of view than your set-up. Even though I warn my wife that I'm shooting and tell her to stay inside and keep the dogs there, I worry a bit about visitors who arrive unannounced and might cross my field of fire. I'd worry more in your situation. I assume that you've done something to ensure that no one can "unexpectedly" walk in front of you. Right??

Neat design by the way. Probably useful when noise is a problem. Only reason I shoot from the shop is to stay out of the wind, and it makes it easier to collect fired brass. :)
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I was surprised that a 3''x 3'' opening at seven foot can give about a thirty foot wide view at sixty yards. I have a window to the right of the box and that's where someone might come from. I suppose I could string caution tape up too.
I built a nice shooting bench, but it's heavy. Moving it in and out to test a few rounds was getting old. I didn't want to leave it outside. I'm not even useing it now and I've combined my quiet box with a new window mounted table and stool. since yesterday I've shot about a hundred rounds of 44-40 without any problems. Now I'm thinking about a chrony inclosed too. My accuracy is improved by just improving my comfort level. Not up to Kirk , but I'm working at it.

Owen