Ghost ring sight trick, for the Williams FP

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Ghost ring sight trick, for the Williams FP

Post by Lastmohecken »

I thought I would share this, just in case someone else finds it useful. This might have been done before, but I discovered it, for myself, today.

This might not be an issue for most, but I have found that the practice of removing the screw in insert, from a Williams Fool Proof, to acheive the ghost ring effect is not always compeletly satisfactory because what is left is so thin that I sometimes lose it, and really prefer looking through an old Redfield, or Lyman with the insert removed because there is more metal left around the hole, where the williams will fade out.

But the simple fact is I prefer the ghost ring sight, for about all of my shooting, instead of even the biggest screw in daylight aperature available, from Williams. What I discovered today is that by backing out the windage adjustment screw, you can remove the ghost ring insert holder and turn it around and re-install it. What you are doing is turning the threaded hole away from your eye, and the other side isn't threaded so there is a little more meat left around the hole. This added meat is just enough that the ghost ring doesn't fade out on me, even in bright sunlight or dusk, like it does in the normal position.

And You say, but I can't use my threaded insert now, well yes you can, just screw it in from the front if you want a smaller hole for target shooting in bright sunlight or whatever. I have been struggling with this for years, never being quite satisfied with the choice of inserts or looking through that thinner threaded hole on the Williams. But this is an improvement, at least for my aging eyes.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Cool trick. I'll have to try it.

I have the opposite problem with a set of sights (a rear blade, actually) I just got for a Redhawk. It is too THICK.

Maybe what we need is a 'Goldilocks' sight - not to thick, not to thin. :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Yes, I never really liked that peep option for the Redhawk, I understand exactly what you are talking about, regarding that sight.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You can also buy a "shotgun" aperture. I suppose I should take a photo of the two side by side...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Never could figure out what those screw in things were for. I've got a box full of them somewhere in the basement.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I will give it a try, thanks for the info!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Thanks for the heads up!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Hobie wrote:You can also buy a "shotgun" aperture. I suppose I should take a photo of the two side by side...
Yes, Hobie

You can get the shotgun/big game aperature, I have several. Actually, they work pretty good but they are big, I mean a little too big sometimes, depending on the front sight combination. I have some of those on a couple of trappers and a Marlin Mounty, with a sourdough up front.

But I think my favorite is a Big Game Aperature for the WGRS sights. I have one of those on my Winchester 94/22mag with a taller Williams bead front sight. I can see this combination really well. It is a true ghost ring, that is the same size as the theaded holder in all of William's sights, but it just isn't threaded, and they only offer it for the WGRS sights. I don't know why they don't offer it for the Fool Proofs. I even called them about it and got nowhere. That's when it finally dawned on me to just switch the theaded ghost ring around backwards and I would have basically the same thing that I have on my WGRS sight, and it's free, since it's already available, on the Fool Proof, as it comes from the factory.

Anyway, this seems to work the best for me, as the larger Shotgun/Big Game aperature is a little bigger then I like for all around shooting, and even the biggest insert called the daylight aperature which is .150, still blocks more then I like and I still see hair on the inside of the hole, but with the inserts removed, it seems about right, and no hair growing.