New Ruger Black synthetic grips?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

New Ruger Black synthetic grips?

Post by Old Savage »

I have seen a number of people express dissatisfaction over these - question - does anyone have a set for a single six they are willing to part with. I have found that I like them.

AH - wait a minute - hadn't got your latest PM. Back at you Dude.
Last edited by Old Savage on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gak
Senior Levergunner

Re: New Ruger Black synthetic grips?

Post by gak »

I've got a set of brand new XR3 Reds I'll part with, I got for a project I changed course on. I can't speak for Single Six fit, but they're spec'd for new reg (large frame) Blackhawk--have the Ruger eagle emblems on them--so "should"" but you know how that can go (they "fit" but are a little metal proud on old/large stainless Vaquero. Shoot me a PM and we can chat if interested.

PS. Btw, if generally liking them but still find a bit harsh, I've found a few minutes of rigorous 00 wool does a great job of toning them down a hair, while still leaving them looking new. Knocking those points down a skosh takes the new/plasticky sheen off and leaving them looking/feeling a little more hard-rubber-"gutta percha"-like. I carefully mask off the already smooth border, but go right over the emblem (IF New Vaq).
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

gak - I think the Single Six uses the XR3-Red grips.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I'm with you OS, I like em too!
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

In an odd way the feel reminds me of a 1911.

gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Old Savage wrote:gak - I think the Single Six uses the XR3-Red grips.
Yes they do - supposed same grips. Was just relating that sometimes gun to gun or even within NM Ruger era to NM Ruger era, there can be minor differences (see SS Vaquero comment). Still got 'em, new, if interested--see PM.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ah but that it were - there is actually about a 1/4" in difference in the length of the grip panels themselves.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well now, the grips from the other Single Six do not even fit - the new black plastic ones. What is up with that?

gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Old Savage wrote:Well now, the grips from the other Single Six do not even fit - the new black plastic ones. What is up with that?
What I was saying! These things can be goofy as all get out. PM'd you.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Got your PM - I understand and what I am trying to communicate :D Is that they won't likely fit - though I appreciate your response and that that there is size disagreement even among the new Single Sixes. Frankly, I don't know where to go from here except to have some fit. I thought the situation would be easier than this.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ok gak - got your pm, sent an updated reply.

gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Current BH XR3-Reds fitted to my old Vaquero.
Overall fit is quite good in terms of the footprint--meaning nothing oddly tilted--and they are slimmer than the stock Vaq's (desired for me) but you can see the slightly metal-proud backstrap area. It's uniform, but it's there, somewhat like a shrunken wood 1st gen Colt. It's actually not so bad as to not be doable as a set of "working" trail grips, which I do use my very similar New Vaq's grips for "'cause I like them and can."