powder and load recommendations?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

powder and load recommendations?

Post by rossim92 »

my son mainspring broke on his pietta 1858 new army .36 cal cap and ball revolver. the good members here recommended the site for part replacement. Thanks for the info. Now, he has been researching what to use for the charge. He has told me he was on planning to use triple f powder at 22 grains and seal the charge with crisco. He hasn't shot the gun yet and just a job. Has to wait a bit before being able to buy the supplies for it. Any good/bad advice to this? :wink:
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: powder and load recommendations?

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Due to minor differences in guns, depending on who the maker is, the proper load for C&B pistols would be just enough powder to allow for a small amount of compression of the powder as the ball is rammed home .
Once you figure out the amount of powder you can modify a .38 /.357 case to use as a measure or buy a flask and trim the spout to give the amount you want.
The ball must be seated slightly below the face of the cylinder or the cylinder cant turn.
The ball should be large enough that a small ring of lead is sheared off as it is seated.
Crisco over the ball is a must IMHO unless a greased wad is used under the ball/bullet.
3F is commonly used in all pistols and rifles of .45 caliber and smaller.
Have fun!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

For a .36 Cal C&B anywhere between 15 & 21 grains of 3F would be a good load. I prefer to use lubed fiber wads between powder and ball in mine. I feel it gives a more consistent loading compression; and, FAR less mess. As Chuck suggested, a flask with pre-mreasured spout is a boon to reloading, (unless you master the art of making paper cartridges). I haven't; but haven't tried much either. I have two flasks, one with a 17 grain spout and one with a 21. There's a significant difference in recoil, but at 25 yards, not much in the way of POI, (the 21 grain load is a tad lower than the 17, but not so much that it'd matter if one were the objecte de target). :twisted: :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

thanks i will pass this on to him :D
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

+1 on the wad over powder, much less mess than Crisco.