S&W questions?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

S&W questions?

Post by chadbr »

Can anyone recommend a board for discussion of Smith and Wesson's?

http://smith-wessonforum.com/ is an obvious one, but if there is another for "like minded" individuals -- I'd like to hear about it.

If anyone is interested - I'm trying to do a tear down on my Model 19 and I'm to the part where I remove the side plate and I can't get that sucker to come loose (no prying yet - but it's so tempting!!!).

Thanks -- Chad
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: S&W questions?

Post by Mescalero »

If you have the grips off, turn it over side plate down,hold it just above a towell on the table.
Take a plastic handled screwdriver, dead blow hammer, etc.
Now strike it a hard, sharp blow on the grip, oppisite the side plate.
You may have to do this several times, but it will come lose.
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

Thanks Mescalero -- I've seen that advice -- and I tried it with no success (so far!)

Question is what should be allowed to make contact with the bench when striking the grip? Nothing? Grip (will it bend)? full body (I assume not)?

I guess I'll just man up and beat the thing harder... just don't want to be "sending off for parts" :lol:

Chad
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Hold it in your hand just above the towell on the table, if you use plastic/ rubber dead blow you can wail on it pretty good.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Try holding it like this.

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

It will lift right off like that.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I suggest missing your thumb. The guy I saw that didn't... lost the thumbnail... I always wondered if he grew more cautious after that! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

That is why I turn it over and let the sideplate drop onto the folded towell.
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

I LOVE THIS PLACE!!

Thanks guys -- worked like a CHAMP!

Now to see if I can replace the springs and get it all back together...

Thanks again, Chad
WP_000093.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
redlevel42
Levergunner 2.0

Post by redlevel42 »

chadbr, several things . . . .

1. I hope you have a good set of screwdrivers. You can make a mess with improper ones. I'm sure you know that, though.
2. Go ahead and sign up on the S&W forum if you haven't. There is a wealth of knowledge there.
3. If you are going to fool with S&Ws, you need a copy of The Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson III Edition.
4. If you are going to fool with gunsmithing S&Ws, you need a copy of the Kuhnhausen Manual.
5. There is at least one spring in there that you really, really need a special tool to remove. It is possible to do it without it, but it is very hard.

I have a local guy who will disassemble my revolvers, give them a thorough cleaning, and reassemble them for $25. I still do it sometimes, but I usually just drop them off at his place and pick them up the next day or two.

I just sold my P&R 2.5" Model 19-3. It ships tomorrow. It just doesn't fit a niche for me. It is a beauty, and I hate to let it go. They are bringing more now than they have in a year or two, and I just had to replace a fuel injector pump on a tractor, so I let it go. :cry:
Georgia On My Mind
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

redlevel42 wrote:chadbr, several things . . . .

1. I hope you have a good set of screwdrivers. You can make a mess with improper ones. I'm sure you know that, though.
2. Go ahead and sign up on the S&W forum if you haven't. There is a wealth of knowledge there.
3. If you are going to fool with S&Ws, you need a copy of The Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson III Edition.
4. If you are going to fool with gunsmithing S&Ws, you need a copy of the Kuhnhausen Manual.
5. There is at least one spring in there that you really, really need a special tool to remove. It is possible to do it without it, but it is very hard.

I have a local guy who will disassemble my revolvers, give them a thorough cleaning, and reassemble them for $25. I still do it sometimes, but I usually just drop them off at his place and pick them up the next day or two.

I just sold my P&R 2.5" Model 19-3. It ships tomorrow. It just doesn't fit a niche for me. It is a beauty, and I hate to let it go. They are bringing more now than they have in a year or two, and I just had to replace a fuel injector pump on a tractor, so I let it go. :cry:

I think this is the tool. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=774/ ... PRING-TOOL
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
redlevel42
Levergunner 2.0

Post by redlevel42 »

:[/quote]

I think this is the tool. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=774/ ... PRING-TOOL[/quote]
Yassuh. Dat be it, fo' a fack. :mrgreen:
Georgia On My Mind
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I really think if I have all the parts, I can assemble them blindfolded.
I do NOT own one of those tools.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Mescalero wrote:If you have the grips off, turn it over side plate down,hold it just above a towell on the table.
Take a plastic handled screwdriver, dead blow hammer, etc.
Now strike it a hard, sharp blow on the grip, oppisite the side plate.
You may have to do this several times, but it will come lose.
+1 -- that's the way i've done it for years...but i always hit the grip frame... :)
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Re: S&W questions?

Post by chadbr »

Thanks for the tips guys - I ordered a copy of:

The S&W Revolver A Shop Manual: Covers the S&W J, K, L and N Frame Revolver Actions
Jerry Kuhnhausen

I saw it recommended by a few people on the S&W forums - and here of course.

I've read a bit about the spring - I haven't seen many good pictures of it -- but I have a tool very similar to that tool. I'll try it out and see how it goes. If I get stuck I'll try to build something... $20 for a handle and a bent screwdriver is -- well more than I can stomach :)

Thanks again everyone --
Chad
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

You are right, I have lived without it for all these years.
I can tell by your reluctance to pry on it, you already know the golden rule:
Engage brain before engaging tool.
pneuby
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pneuby »

The Brownell's tool makes it easy-peezy. shiel your grip frame with a piece of scrap leather, or cardboard. Then, you can use a small jeweler's blade driver to push in on the spring at the rear of the rebound slide on either side of the frame post. Then, lift if VERY slowly and gently, shielding your eyes. Helps to do this where the floor is a contrasting color from the darkened oily spring, in case you should OOPS and let it go flying. 8)
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

Hawt darn... the Kuhnhausen manual came today.

I got it all pulled apart and put in the new springs.

Slick slick. Next week I'll pull it apart again and de-burr the inside... the manual tells all. Great book.

As usual, thanks for all the advice everyone.

Chad