New artificial heart

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

New artificial heart

Post by getitdone1 »

The March 2012 issue of 'Popular Science' has an article about a new type of artificial heart that uses a pair of small turbines which provide a continuous flow of blood rather than a pulse. A couple of famous doctors at The Texas Medical Center in Houston think this device may be THE answer. Article has a great picture of these two outstanding doctors. They say such a heart may be available in about 10 years. They are presently installing it in calves and some have lived up to 3 months.

Our hearts are amazing machines. They beat around 35 million times a year without ever taking a rest and do this for as long as we live. The typical artificial hearts can beat for no longer than about 18 months.

No doubt some members here have 'heart problems' or have relatives with heart problems and I hope you find this helpful.

If you can, find and read this article. Libraries should have it.

Don
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New artificial heart

Post by FWiedner »

Interesting. I seem to remember this idea from 20 years ago or so.

There was some dicussion about what effect such a device would have on the recipients of the devices both physiologically and mentally.

What I remember was a question about the long-term physical effect, because the human circulatory system has a built in valve system that assists to keep blood flowing in a particular direction (i.e. what would be the effect on this system were this function to be negated? ) and the thought that a having a heart-beat has a notable affect on mental well-being. Seems heart transplant patients with installed prototypes of that era quickly became depressed because they felt like they "didn't have a heart." Some effort was put into attaching a 'heart-beat' to the contraptions under development at the time.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

They Orta work on this some more....Sounds promising.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Initially there was concern that the turbines would damage the blood cells due to the speed with which they moved the blood. This proved to not be a problem. They found that often a similar device installed alongside the heart would give the heart a chance to mend itself though some hearts cannot be helped. Ex Vice-President Cheny is using such a device. These devices are called LVADs. 11,000 people worldwide are now using LVADs. They are powered by videocassette-size batteries hanging under a person's armpits.

One doctor states that he thinks we are on the verge of solving the artificial heart problem for good--...."all we had to do was get rid of the pulse."

Don
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

The heart beat with the pressure spikes works some functions in our bodies though doesn't it? For example, my favorite body part seems to need to be pumped up on the high pressure points of the heart beat to work correctly...no?

A new heart but your schwanze doesn't work? What' the use??!! Just sayin'... :lol:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

olyinaz wrote:The heart beat with the pressure spikes works some functions in our bodies though doesn't it?
All kidding aside, I do think that has been at least speculated, although we definitely know that if the spikes get too high, as with older folks with 'rigid, inelastic, arteries', relative to the troughs, that causes problems as well. Fascinating stuff, but the closer we get to playing God medically, the more trouble it seems to stir up. Of course the first time we gave a person dying of pneumonia some penicillin, I guess we started that...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I don't see a problem with giving someone a device which can prolong their life as long as it is to ease pain and suffering. Now, I am not surprised that Blaine has gone of on that vein of humor. Maybe I artery not do it along with him.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

AJMD429 wrote:
olyinaz wrote:The heart beat with the pressure spikes works some functions in our bodies though doesn't it?
All kidding aside, I do think that has been at least speculated, although we definitely know that if the spikes get too high, as with older folks with 'rigid, inelastic, arteries', relative to the troughs, that causes problems as well. Fascinating stuff, but the closer we get to playing God medically, the more trouble it seems to stir up. Of course the first time we gave a person dying of pneumonia some penicillin, I guess we started that...
Yep! But this all pales to major insignificance if my pee pee doesn't work. After all, it's all about me. :mrgreen:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

olyinaz wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:
Yep! But this all pales to major insignificance if my pee pee doesn't work. After all, it's all about me. :mrgreen:

Oly
In your case it probably will never go down once it's pumped up the first time. Maybe they can route a special tube straight down there to keep it pumped up as well.

I would think it would be an improvement, healthwise. I would think brain function would be improved by a steady flow. But if you think we got no rhythm now...
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

olyinaz wrote: Yep! But this all pales to major insignificance if my pee pee doesn't work. After all, it's all about me. :mrgreen:
Oly

Aaahh, you guys worry too much about the little things. Just do what my wife's uncle used to do--tie a popsicle stick to your unit and "go to town :D "
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

IIRC there was a Science Fiction story (decades ago) where space pilots had to have a rotary/turbine blood pump installed to replace their heart because it eliminated some time dilation effect or something. His girlfriend didn't like it (nothing to listen to with her head on his chest...), but IIRC the hero used it to his advantage when some alien targeted prey by focusing on heartbeats...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

El Chivo wrote:...In your case it probably will never go down once it's pumped up the first time. Maybe they can route a special tube straight down there to keep it pumped up as well.
Don't laugh. I think AJ can verify that that is already a "treatment" for drug-resistant ED...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!