Point of view - old guns and new.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Point of view - old guns and new.

Post by Old Savage »

Many here like the old guns wondering what was the history and all and liking to shoot them an use them. I think of it sometimes as a back to the future view. What if you were from then and what would interest you know. Take the 45-70 users for instance - I think they might really like to have one of these (bottom) while many here would want one of those (top).

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Point of view - old guns and new.

Post by kimwcook »

I agree. That's why I have a Shiloh Sharps #1 and a Winchester '86.
Old Law Dawg
1894c

Post by 1894c »

i'd always go with the Marlin 1895...does that mean i'm stuck in a time warp... :)
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Mostly old, although a few new, but I like nice guns with no plastic or stainless steel...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

kimwcook wrote:I agree. That's why I have a Shiloh Sharps #1 and a Winchester '86.
While my Sharps isn't in .45-70, it is a buffalo era cartridge, and I have a 1886. It wouldn't surprise me that someone that only knew the single shot, when presented with a lever action repeater would, like us... want both.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Sometimes this Sickness We share causes Delirium. That makes Us deviate from the Norm and buy ARs & Glocks. Is that a bad thing ? While a S.S and a lever might go together, how many here that really like S.S. have ARs and AKs ? I am not overly fond of S.S.s or Side Levers but they are all out there and Someone needs to buy them. On the same note I won't condemn You to Purgatory for liking the aforementioned.LOL
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I started off many years ago with an interest in antique firearms. That morphed into what I could afford to buy and shoot. These days my interest seems to center on vintage US Military rifle (Trapdoors, Krag, 03s, 1917s, Garands and 03A3s).
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3855 »

I have few modern "working guns" for hunting but my interests lie primarily in antique Winchesters and Sharps.
Newer reproductions of old lever designs (other than a Shiloh Sharps or three) are not my cup of tea.

To each his own and all can provide a ton of shooting fun.

A Winchester Collector
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Sold some guns last week end at a show, so had some cash, all the
black guns & 1911 style guns was mind boggeling,new winchesters was
temping, but a old 25-35 rifle won out & came home with me, its a 94!

ollogger
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I think you've hit on something Fred. I submit that when we can wax nostalgic, we do but when we must have the very best for the job, that's what we get, the most up-to-date stuff that works. They would have done the same back then. We are just like our ancestors if you look at our computer and cell phone purchases. Most don't opt for the 8088 machines or a dial phone tied to the wall with a cord.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Then there are those that just plain and simply pick the best for the job at hand. Sometimes that's means a purchase, sometimes just using the best they have available. Sometimes it means older, sometimes newer.

And then there are folks like me. I'm still waiting for a Star Trek like phaser to come on the market. Fingers crossed and holding my breath. :D

LK
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Hobie wrote:I think you've hit on something Fred. I submit that when we can wax nostalgic, we do but when we must have the very best for the job, that's what we get, the most up-to-date stuff that works. They would have done the same back then. We are just like our ancestors if you look at our computer and cell phone purchases. Most don't opt for the 8088 machines or a dial phone tied to the wall with a cord.
Well, I for one still think bag phones were the bomb, and I do sort of miss the C64...

If I understand the request in the topic, I wonder if the atmosphere was different. Guns in the old days seem more like tools that recreation. You needed one to hunt and survive. I wonder if they gunners in the day that the Henry came out though that the muzzle loader was better and prefered that. I wonder if those with the muzzle loading rifle thought it was better to have a Brown Bess musket.

I don't know if they had the nostolgia that we do for historic weapons. I imagine they were much more utilitarian in their selection.

I suspect that for a particulary use, any of them would choose a modern weapon over the historic one, except for pure recreation. Soldiers and lawmen would chose light weight semi and automatics. Hunters would choose effective range guns, etc. Many of the old "style" guns we are attracted to have the benefits of modern metallurgy and such that would make us chose those guns over actual historic guns for regular use, both to preserve the historic gun as much as to be sure of performance. I don't think our forefathers were any different.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I find what I like is as if I was looking at what they have done with old designs as far modern steels, ammo etc and attracted to that rather than the originals. That 1895SS 45-70 is really an older design modernized. My TC New Englander is basically the same with modern steels and manufacturing. The Colt SAA is the same. The 94 AE presafety is a favorite as is the 1988 or so production push feed Model 70 over the pre 64 models. Really like the tang safety 94 25-35 I got from Jeff Quinn. Then there is the FA 454 and the Ruger SAs that are a new execution of an old idea. So, I won't be competing for those older guns. Had a pre 64 model 70 and a 94 but moved them on to folks that appreciated them more after shooting them a bit. Had an almost pristine A3-03 and a beautiful 7.65x53 Mauser but they went away for a Ruger 77R 270 and Remington M700. Both are great shooters.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Yep look to the 1894 Winchester in 30 WCF...It was a world beater when it first came out, nearly every monkey in those days wanted that power and trajectory and dropped what they had and got one if they could... But now we have the benefit of hindsight and have a wonderful selection from old to new... But as far as I know there’s nothing coming down the pike for the public like the world beater the 1894 was.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

At the end of the day, made yesterday or yesteryear, trimmed in silver or gold,
all were made to send a projectile down range.
Last edited by cshold on Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

casastahle wrote:At the end of the day, made yesterday or yesteryear, trimmed in silver or gold,
all were made to send a projectile down range. :wink:

That just gets the old brain going :lol: But I am behind in this game, I dont own a single firearm from the 1800's.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

If Jerimiah Johnson was roaming the Rockies today, He'd be carrying an M14 scout with a Moonscope and 2 Glock 10MM's tucked in his waistband. He used the latest technology in his day. Nostalgial is great for sport and recreation. Technology is a must for survival. :wink:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I agree that our ancestors, although pragmatic, were also opportunistic - and would have wanted the best tool available.

The only thing is, a lot of times, "want" doesn't get translated into the reality of posession - just as often happens today, with some folks.

I think, though, that folks like us - living in these modern times, with all the technological ramifications that involves - sometimes just yearn for a simpler time, "dropping out", for awhile if you will. It's a form of relaxation.

I further think that the desire for a respite from technology takes different forms with different personalities, some going with older designs (albeit of modern material), and others going with modern ( but simple) designs.

As I age, I find myself unwilling to settle for the older designs, so tend to stay with modern ones - but like the simplicity of some of them, like break-open singe-shot rifles, small-gauge double & single shotguns, & bareback leverguns.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Then, there are those rare contrarians... like Wild Bill, who kept his cap & ball revolvers well in the cartridge era. While I know I wouldn't carry my 1851s for personal protection... I will admit that I have carried my Colt SAAs for that purpose (albeit in very low risk situations). :oops: But I did have a m 94 Winchester for a back up gun! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

L_Kilkenny wrote: And then there are folks like me. I'm still waiting for a Star Trek like phaser to come on the market. Fingers crossed and holding my breath. :D

LK
Hmmm....a lever-action phaser rifle? Why not?
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

stew71 wrote:
L_Kilkenny wrote: And then there are folks like me. I'm still waiting for a Star Trek like phaser to come on the market. Fingers crossed and holding my breath. :D

LK
Hmmm....a lever-action phaser rifle? Why not?
Coming soon to a Mossberg dealer near you!