A Few Pics & Vid From Today's Match

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

A Few Pics & Vid From Today's Match

Post by Sixgun »

Well guys, another monthly match has come and gone. Al Faust, Pennsylvania's State champion showed up and showed us all how its really done. As usual, we had a blast and a great time was had by all.

In smallbore I used a Winchester Model 63 semi-auto in .22. In pistol caliber, I used my 1892 SRC in 38-40 and for the first time in a match, it was loaded with blackpowder behind a bullet I cast from a hundred year old Ideal mould. I only shot a 25 X 40 with it but it was a "decent" score---nothing to write home about, but decent. In big bore I used my 1894 Winchester in 25-35 an I'll never use that one again. I lost 3 rams as the 117 Hornady only dinged 'em and failed to knock 'em over. :D ----------Sixgun

Vid of me with the 1892 taken my my good friend Gunny.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gs6LvI6 ... qyVc4afdM=

THE Gunny with an 1894 in 38-55. Al Faust shooting to his left. Al uses a Winchester Lone Star half round/oct.

THE Gunny sightng down on the 150 meter turkeys

A few rifles resting. Most are "on the line" We had a big turnout today as the weather was nice.

THE Gunny--ex Marine DI
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Re: A Few Pics & Vid From Today's Match

Post by Griff »

Congrats Sixgun. 5 eh? Good shooting!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

All righty then 8)
Say now you guys looked like ya knew what your doing and having fun too. :mrgreen:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Ya did good, Sixgun! :D I gotta try shooting a match with BP some day. Care to tell the particulars of your load?

We have a pistol cartridge lever action match tomorrow, but I may not be able to compete as my right hand is in a cast after recent surgery for arthritis. I'm gonna try though! Maybe use my Browning 53 in .32-20, it's nice and light.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Shasta wrote:Ya did good, Sixgun! :D I gotta try shooting a match with BP some day. Care to tell the particulars of your load?

We have a pistol cartridge lever action match tomorrow, but I may not be able to compete as my right hand is in a cast after recent surgery for arthritis. I'm gonna try though! Maybe use my Browning 53 in .32-20, it's nice and light.

SHASTA

Shasta,
I'm no Griff or Pitchy as I have little experience with the stuff. I do have a knowledgable backgroud on reloading and have read lots of stuff on BP so I just took a chance. First, I used old balloon head cases (but don't have to) as these will give you the room for an extra couple of grains. Looking in Mike Venturino's book, "Shooting Colt SAA's" he states that 33 grains of FF is what a modern 38-40 or 44-40 case will hold, so I loaded 33 grains through a drop tube, added a thin cardboard wad from a primer box and lubed the bullet with Bore Butter. I was able to shoot each animal with the 10 rounds and experienced no loss in accuracy. Hey! This stuff is accurate! :D

I ran a rod with Simple Green on a patch between each animal (10 shots) and then dry swabbed it. I really don't know if I even needed to do that. Griff, Pitch--- wadda think?-------------Sixgun

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I don`t shoot much cartridge BP bro so i`ll leave this question to Griff. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Good stuff there Sixgun :wink:
Great pics and nice report!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Some nice looking smoke coming out of that rifle there, Sixgun. Thanks for the fine report!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Yea guys, I just rolled outta bed and am trying to figure what to do with myself today. While pondering yesterday's activities, I did notice that the 38-40 loaded with blackpowder was a bit irritating to some shooters as I heard some remarks, "what the heck was that" or "geeze, there goes my concentration".

Oh well, NOW I know what I'm gonna do today. I am gonna load up some 45-90's with blackpowder and get the old '86 all sighted up for next month's match. Yep, ball busting at it's finest! :D ------------Sixgun

Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

Good morning Sixgun,

I haven't shot an Atglen match since they held Hunter Pistol shoots years ago. In fact I wonder if I could find the range if I needed to. Next weekend Wilkes-Barre R & P is holding a lever silhouette match and my plans are to shoot there. That's another range I haven't been to in a long time but the directions are locked securely in my mind. But then, so are the directions as to where I put my cup of coffee a few minutes ago.

Fair weather for sure at your match whereas today is a bit damp and drizzly outside. Doesn't black powder fouling get more difficult when the weather is damp?

People complaining about the smoke gets the wheels turning here. Just wondering if a drop of skunk essence applied and dried on the base of each bullet would do anything to clear up the smoke smell. Just tryin' to be helpful.

Frank
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Nice shooting Jack .Why is it that I get the feeling you have a disruptive nature about you. I was at the range yesterday also , fixing targets and painting. Not as much fun.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

good shootin....l'm jealous....looks like tons of fun!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Hey, Jack,

Great report, as usual! It's wonderful to see the Atglen range again. You need to get out here to Raton for the lever gun Nationals, Laddie! I'll have the Whittington Center take special precautions for your visit :lol:
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Loads of fun. I haven't shot a levergun big bore match, but the pistol caliber matches are a blast. The only place I've shot a match was at Tonasket and it's a good 2.5 hour drive one way.
Old Law Dawg
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

On the range - OK !!! :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

BenT wrote:Nice shooting Jack .Why is it that I get the feeling you have a disruptive nature about you. I was at the range yesterday also , fixing targets and painting. Not as much fun.
'Ya know, there's something about whiners that boils my blood. There's always a couple of shooters who complain about everything (animals not falling down, too much wind, they are hungry, the match is taking too long) so I like to make them feel right at home by doing disruptive things. :D Things like shooting blackpowder and passing gas (loudly) assures me they won't be coming back. :D

Yea Reds, ain't been the same without 'ya. Gunny wants me to go to the Nationals at Raton this year but I tell him there's only so much money as I make my elk trip a #1 priority. Maybe I'll sell some guns..........ah....nope on dat...(ebonics :D )

And Frank--you "gots" to make it the Regionals. We can have some fun with the big bores and BP :D .--------Me

w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Steelbanger wrote:Good morning Sixgun,
.......Doesn't black powder fouling get more difficult when the weather is damp?.......
Frank
Frank,
In my experience and the experience of others, no. Moist fouling = soft fouling. Hard fouling as experienced in a hot, dry climate is definitely much more of a challenge.
Sixgun wrote:Yea guys, I just rolled outta bed and am trying to figure what to do with myself today. While pondering yesterday's activities, I did notice that the 38-40 loaded with blackpowder was a bit irritating to some shooters as I heard some remarks, "what the heck was that" or "geeze, there goes my concentration".

Oh well, NOW I know what I'm gonna do today. I am gonna load up some 45-90's with blackpowder and get the old '86 all sighted up for next month's match. Yep, ball busting at it's finest! :D ------------Sixgun
Sixgun,
Nice shooting! Neat! :D Ah yes....awhile back I shot a match with my 44-40 with black powder with full 40 gr loads. A fellow came up to me after a relay and asked if my gun blew up(?) Ha! :D

Best test to make sure that 45-90 will shoot aok for 10-15 rounds without cleaning. Things can certainly change when the black powder charge is 2X's+ that of the 38-40. Of course you could use a duplex load. Still plenty of boom amd smoke but no fouling issues. Then again your spotter my have a difficult time spotting the shots from the volumnous 45-90 if there is little wind to carry the smoke away...... Your 38-55 might be a better choice......

Speaking of black powder, just recently Chip Mate, using a 44-40 reproduction Henry rifle, set a new NRA Cowboy Silhouette Pistol Cartridge record of 40x40!
Congratulations, Chip :D :D

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Howdy Jack,
I decided to stay away from the blackpowder and the 45-90. Those things really gave me a belt. Shooting 5 rounds was like going 5 rounds with Mike Tyson.------------Sixgun

mav
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mav »

Great post and pics Sixgun. I have yet to get to a match this year. I may try to go to Wilkes-Barre this weekend.