Cleaning question for 95 Win 30-40

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Cleaning question for 95 Win 30-40

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Ok guys, I don't know if the Krags were loaded with corrosive powder or primers back in the day but, I can clean mine with Windex w/ vinegar, Sweets 7.62, Hoppe's #9, Isso, and a few others. I will oil the bore and remove excess with a patch, and also pass a wet oiled patch through the bore before storage. A week later the bore will patch out absolutely black. I have stored the rifle with a cap over the muzzle to keep debris out. Any ideas guys?
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Hobie

Re: Cleaning question for 95 Win 30-40

Post by Hobie »

hmmmm cupro nickel bullets and mercuric and corrosive primers and heaven only knows what else and you get what you got. not fun butgotta keep cleaning.

e e cummings for...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

shawn_c992001 wrote:Ok guys, I don't know if the Krags were loaded with corrosive powder or primers back in the day but, I can clean mine with Windex w/ vinegar, Sweets 7.62, Hoppe's #9, Isso, and a few others. I will oil the bore and remove excess with a patch, and also pass a wet oiled patch through the bore before storage. A week later the bore will patch out absolutely black. I have stored the rifle with a cap over the muzzle to keep debris out. Any ideas guys?

Yeah -- she's a filthy ol' gal, and you haven't gotten her clean yet. Keep at it. I have had rifles that took me literally months of daily cleaning to get squeaky-clean -- and a few that never got all the way there.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

So this is common??????? Wow, I have cleaned and scrubbed and let it sit, scrubbed some more, and then again. Still a dirty sewer pipe. The ole gal rolled out of the New Haven plant in 1932.

Anything I may try to speed things up like hot water?
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Boiling water can be helpful.

I have also scrubbed the bores of old milsurps with a stainless steel brush with the muzzle in a bucket with a litre or so of kerosene in it. The brush draws the kero up the bore dissolving/rinsing the crud as you scrub.

And there is the electrolysis method. I haven't tried it but the results I have seen can be quite spectacular.
http://thedolk.com/borecleaner/index.html
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

If you have cleaned it as well as you say, anything that could cause long term damage is long gone. If the rifle shoots good, don't worry about it. :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
allhands
Levergunner 2.0

Post by allhands »

I have always had decent luck with denatured alcohol to get at the hard to clean stuff. Just be very careful, as it is flammable, and will damage wood finishes....
Bill Nowicki
Headed "upta camp"
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I have been through it with everything in the cleaning rack! Just haven't used any of the wife's cleaning products for the tub, toilet, or floor. I just can't get it to stay clean.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Keep cleaning with a brush and Sweets & Hoppes. There's layers and layers built up in there. It has to end sometime. Its hard to find any 30-40 bore smooth and shiney, whether its from a Krag or a '95. Guys would shoot the corrosive primed cheap military ammo and only clean out the powder residue, not knowing how to get the cupro-nickel out.--------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

You will save yourself some serious elbow grease by going to one of the foaming bore cleaners. I happily use either the "Wipe-Out" Brushless Bore Cleaner or the "Gunslick" Foaming Bore Cleaner. And am real happy they got invented!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I don't think I have any of the foaming bore cleaner, but I can put it on the Wal-Mart list for tomorrow.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.