April 2012 Mississippi house/land update vid and pic

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

April 2012 Mississippi house/land update vid and pic

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, here's the latest update - youtube and a pic of the framing started...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOOaEIL7 ... ature=plcp

And here's a pic from 4/2 or 3 - forget, but the framing has started! The Framer says that it will be dried-in by next Wednesday (roof overhead). Notice "Buddy" sitting watch on the hill :)

The exterior two walls are 2x6" frame. This is very sturdy and will allow for another 2" of insulation over "standard" 2x4 construction.

Things took longer than we expected and wanted to get to this point but now it should go pretty fast. Once dried-in, the other subs can come in and work - electric, plumbing, hvac...

So far, so good :blessed:

Oh - and here's a short vid of the seep spring that's down the draw from the home site:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMIZXLqy ... ure=relmfu

When we have the pond made, the springs will be just in the pond and will feed it. But it shows that the water table is high enough that a shallow well will be easy to dig - I will use a driven point well kit that I have. Given a good enough flow of water from that, I will most likely switch over to the well for our primary water source.

The construction of the home will also make it very efficient - to the point that I might be able to cool it sufficiently with a "swamp cooler" type system... this only requires a small water pump and fan to push the air through -something that a solar power system could handle....

We're starting all conventional accept for a built-in wood burning stove but I want to have the capability to go off-grid if needed... or forced to.

And here's the insulation job that I did to the cabin ceiling - to channel the hot air off of the metal roof and coming in from the side vents - up and out... hopefully.

Last edited by O.S.O.K. on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Re: April 2012 Mississippi house/land update vid and pic

Post by Canuck Bob »

Up here 2X6 is a minimum. My shack has 2X4s and when the mercury drops the walls are cold! I suspect outside heat might be even more important in your neck of the woods.

That is some fine framing! You desrve to be proud of that.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Cool!

Looks a wee bit humid. :D
Can't wait to see the finished project.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Me too! Thanks.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Coming right along, happy for ya. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Pitchy wrote:Coming right along, happy for ya. 8)
+1
Old Law Dawg
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Thanks guys. Kinda hard to do the general contracting from a distance... that's why the cabin - but I still have to get back to Texas often. Really looking forward to seeing it move along and get completed. And then.... we move (argh).
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

looking good, real good...you'll be done in no time...the dirt still looks like you're actually building on Mars to me...but as a transplanted Yankee what do I know... :)
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

This a real interesting post, thanks for the updates. :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

game keeper wrote:This a real interesting post, thanks for the updates. :D
+1
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Looking great. :D I love rough construction.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

so far it looks great!
is this going to be a 1 or 2 story house?

As for the waterproofing, we use bituminous ashphalt,
then a protection board...sort of like insulation board, a drain pipe
with holes in it, at the bottom...and gravel infill so the water can be
evacuated fairly quickly...

I have never seen that white product before....
whats it called?

wish I was doing something like that!...looks like fun to me!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

This is a one-story house - 9' plate height. The back two walls are poured 9" concrete, the other two walls are 2x6" frame. The white waterproofing is the stuff you see at Home Depot and such - UGL Lock Tight. Used to be called Dam Tight but they changed the name lol. This will have a french drain (drain tile with gravel) with the earth compacted over it as it's backfilled. The backfill will be graded down away from the house - when done, the ground all around the house will drain away from the house. We'll put a gutter all along the back and side of the roof to catch rain and channel it away.

The roof will be galvanized steel. The siding will be a combination of cyprus and galvanized steel - with a grayish stain on the cyprus and "clay" colored windows and darker front door. The idea is a rustic, country look.

Talked to the framer and he said all internal framing is now complete and they're waiting on the rafters to arrive - will be dried-in by Tuesday at the latest now :) Said the other subs can start next week, so we got on the horn and called them all. We also got on the stick to get everything else arranged for pick-up when we get there again at the end of the week next week. Fireplace, plumbing fixtures, etc.

Woohoo! We might finish on time after all!

And 1894c - a lot of folks outside of the area think Mississippi is Mars! :lol: May as well be for all they know as they've never been there... but know all about it :P
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

A word of caution about "swamp coolers". They depend on wet pads and a motored fan to draw air through them in order to cool the air. They are fine for a dry climate but not so good in a humid climate. They put a lot of moisture in the air and you will feel damp all the time. An airconditioner on the other hand takes moisture out of the air and I think you'd be much happier with one. Just my .02¢
ED
Yer never too old
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Modoc ED wrote:A word of caution about "swamp coolers". They depend on wet pads and a motored fan to draw air through them in order to cool the air. They are fine for a dry climate but not so good in a humid climate. They put a lot of moisture in the air and you will feel damp all the time. An airconditioner on the other hand takes moisture out of the air and I think you'd be much happier with one. Just my .02¢
+2 and I lived with a "swamp" cooler in Korea (98 at 98 all summer long). We worked hard to trade it out for an ac unit BUT the swamp cooler worked great in CA.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

+4 on "Nix The SwampCooler" :wink: Yer gonna be mad when black mold and stuff starts in on ya....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I was just thinking of the swamp cooler as a worst case scenario way to cool the air - something that could be powered by a solar generator/battery bank. A normal AC sure can't... Hmmm, may have to look into some other way of cooling the air that doesn't inject any more humidity - perhaps just a deeply burried conduit with air moving slowly through it...

We are installing a normal AC unit and will have a Generiac 8K LP powered whole-house back up generator for the times when the power goes out - which seems to be pretty often in this area. Lots of lines running along tree-covered lanes and wind storms that like to push them down onto said lines. :) For the winter time, we're putting in a built-in wood burning stove with blowers and gravity vents - draws cold air in from the outside to vent the fire - very efficient and will easily heat this small home. We're designing the vent system to allow for the warm air to be circulated too = cold air return is near the stove out-vents.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

O.S.O.K. wrote:I was just thinking of the swamp cooler as a worst case scenario way to cool the air - something that could be powered by a solar generator/battery bank. A normal AC sure can't... Hmmm, may have to look into some other way of cooling the air that doesn't inject any more humidity - perhaps just a deeply burried conduit with air moving slowly through it...

We are installing a normal AC unit and will have a Generiac 8K LP powered whole-house back up generator for the times when the power goes out - which seems to be pretty often in this area. Lots of lines running along tree-covered lanes and wind storms that like to push them down onto said lines. :) For the winter time, we're putting in a built-in wood burning stove with blowers and gravity vents - draws cold air in from the outside to vent the fire - very efficient and will easily heat this small home. We're designing the vent system to allow for the warm air to be circulated too = cold air return is near the stove out-vents.
I've no idea if this would work, but I often wondered if running cold well water thru an exchanger of some sort could extract enough cold air to do any good :? :?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

BlaineG wrote:
O.S.O.K. wrote:I was just thinking of the swamp cooler as a worst case scenario way to cool the air - something that could be powered by a solar generator/battery bank. A normal AC sure can't... Hmmm, may have to look into some other way of cooling the air that doesn't inject any more humidity - perhaps just a deeply burried conduit with air moving slowly through it...

I've no idea if this would work, but I often wondered if running cold well water thru an exchanger of some sort could extract enough cold air to do any good :? :?
Yeah, that's the kind of thing I was thinking about. Probably something out there in the interverse on this...
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I just noticed the top of your framed wall only has 1 continuous top plate....
Down here we need two...

We also have to use additional anchors on the studs...
sp-1s on the bottom and sp-2s at the top plates....and all sorts of
different truss anchors....pending the uplift due to windloads.....hurricanes :evil: ...
We spend a lot of money here in florida on connectors....

gonna be all done and moved in by deer season? :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Oh yeah. We should be in by July. God willing.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!