So, is this a good time to SELL guns?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

So, is this a good time to SELL guns?

Post by El Chivo »

You hear so much about people jamming the gun shops, and buying more guns than ever, but at the same time, I hear where it's hard to get a good price for a used gun because of the state of the economy.

Which is it?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Re: So, is this a good time to SELL guns?

Post by Thunder50 »

Depends on what you have to sell and what part of the country you live in. Not much demand on some things and others you can name a hefty price and get it. Our last show, two weeks ago, it seems like shotguns were going out the door, but not black rifles. Our next show in August, it might be reversed.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I think it would be a good time to sell them, but probably even better time six months to a year from now. I have a few 'on the bubble' that I'd sell if the prices go up, in order to thin the herd, plus get funds for a couple wish-list items.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I picked up a Mosin Nagant and 440 rds ammo, figure in 8 months I should be able to turn it.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

If a firearm is bought "right", then anytime is a good time to sell - It's just a matter of being up on current values.

Here in the Northeast, EBR's & handguns are literally flying out the doors.

When one small/local funshop's distributor told him (about a 10 days ago) that he had some Bushmasters "in" & how many did he want, the local FFL said to send them all. :o

I was there when the shipment arrived, noon Tuesday - 23 assorted AR's.

By COB (close of business) last nite, 4 were left unsold, but the dealer didn't expect to have even one left for weekend shoppers. . :roll:

In his glass topped & fronted counters (about 60' long), the normally jammed-packed handgun-full shelves had only about a dozen new/used to choose from.
A new buyer, for many types, would have to order what they formerly could have had in their hand, right then/there.

FWIW, I've successfully sold 6 of my guns, all different, over the last 6-7 weeks, using various methods that I thought would bring me the best return for each different type gun (online, funshow, local sale, auction, etc) - and bought at least 3 replacement toys, too (of course :oops: ) since, all locally.

I've got a 20ga SxS , I'm taking to the Concord NH funshow the weekend after Easter, that I expect will sell very fast @ $350-$400 - so, we/re talking about a sickness, here. . :mrgreen:

bdhold

Post by bdhold »

if you want top dollar (especially on gunbroker) wait until after school starts in the fall. People are busy between now and then, may have different fiscal priorities, and will settle into their life again in the fall - and worry about the pending election.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

El Chivo wrote:You hear so much about people jamming the gun shops, and buying more guns than ever, but at the same time, I hear where it's hard to get a good price for a used gun because of the state of the economy.

Which is it?
I think most people yelling that it's a terrible time to sell are pricing their guns too high. I ran into that on another forum where a fellow has been trying to sell his rifle on Gunbroker for a couple months. He's yelling how bad the market is, but he's wanting way higher than similar models have been selling for.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

From what I have been seeing.........
EBRs, self defence pistols and ammo seem to be in high demand....
but not near the rush we had last election....not yet anyway
Hunting and plinking stuff.....not so much....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Too many varibales to consider. Hunting guns sell better in fall, SD/HD/play guns seem to sell better in the spring summer IMO. Price on new AR's is down, used DA's like the Ruger Security Sixes are up. Many dealers prices are substantially higher, some(the ones I like to deal with) are about the same as a couple years ago. Collectable guns (actually all collectables) aren't all that hot right now but semi auto rifles and pistols are (obama scare). Here in Iowa CC guns are hot due to the new shall issue law of a year ago. And so it goes.................

IMO, It's really comes down to what you are selling and your location as to whether or not it's a good time. Overall, I wouldn't say it's all that great of a time to unload a bunch of guns onto the market.

LK
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The demand is for high-cap pistols (Glock and such) or ARs with some seasonal Turkey gun, varmint rifles (and ARs are being used for this more and more). Other shotguns, ummm, not so much unless it is for home defense. There are always some folks who are committed (or should be :lol: ) to collecting who buy the new releases like Ruger's take-down 10/22 and there will be some who are buying ahead for kids gifts for fall/Christmas. But most folks who are buying are buying the stuff they believe that a re-elected Obama is most likely to keep them from having and the usual, run-of-the-mill hunting guns are almost a glut on the market. One might argue that the sole exception is guns chambered for the .22 LR. MANY people are stating that .22 LR is all they can afford to actually shoot in any quantity and our club's .22 LR benchrest and silhouette matches are getting a lot of attention even though competitive ammo is twice the price (or more) of the usual .22 LR HP such as the CCI Mini-Mag.

Ammo is much the same story with emphasis on the .22 LR. 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .38 Spec are the big sellers by far and 99% of shooters ask for the least expensive ammo we have.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I am holding out on selling, but with my oldest in her last year of college and the youngest wanting a car, it is getting mighty tempting! I have a few toys that I am willing to get rid of to try and finance me a new RUGER SBH .44 mag with the 4.6 barrel. I just hope the prices arnt through the roof when I can finally afford one. With this being her last year, I am hoping I see a little light at the end of the tunnel.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Just be sure that light at the end of the tunnel isn't a train called matrimony headed your way.

I was shocked at what my share of three weddings from the boy's perspective was. But, the grandkids are quickly erasing those memories.

I have a new gun rule, buy only.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I'd wait until the panic is really on -then sell. That's when demand will be at it's highest and prices too. Supply and demand.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[I was shocked at what my share of three weddings from the boy's perspective was]

You pore 'ole innocent........ :roll: ............ You outta see the Dad's share of a DAUGHTER'S wedding ! :shock:

I had TWO daughters, BTW , besides their older brother - But still feel blessed. . 8)

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I've found through out my life of guns that I never seemed to get what I should for a gun because I was usually in such a darn hurry to get the next best thing when I should of just been patient, taken my time and sold it when I sold it and not worry about the other one vanishing into ether and take a hit. I really try not selling anything anymore. Someone else can fight over them when I'm gone.
Old Law Dawg
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

If you're realy one of us, It's never a good time to sell and always a good time to buy.

Owen
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

'Round here, it is the start of the season for most of the rifle ranges and once that gets going the boutique/gotta have something different buyers start getting interested. This is almost the time of the year to sell extra Trapdoors, 71/84 Mauser's, Sharp's, and Rolling Blocks. Run of the mill shooters want to be recognized at the range, something different does that.

Other than that, Hobie said it best.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

As far as I can tell it's a buyers market right now. There are a glut of guns on the market now that supply has caught up with the panic vacuum created overnight when Obama was elected. Unless it's something out of production or unusual selling will be kinda tough IMO if you are wanting top dollar.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30