219 zipper and H322?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JeffG
Levergunner 1.0

219 zipper and H322?

Post by JeffG »

Hello All,
I recently acquired a Savage 99 rebarreled to 219 zipper, and a couple pounds of H322 that seem like they should go together. I also have a selection of 50-56g bullets to try....but load info is pretty scarce.

Do any of you have favorite zipper and H322 loads to share?

Thanks,
Jeff
There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle

-Albert Einstein
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 219 zipper and H322?

Post by earlmck »

Dang, Jeff. I wish I had a 219 Zipper so I could pass on loads. No such luck (though I do have an Improved Zipper single-shot). I looked at your Zipper in QuickLoads (where I would start getting ideas for trying new powders) and it shows your H322 as being a decent fit. QuickLoads shows 23 grains H322, 55 grain Hornady, C.O.A.L. of 2.26", giving 2970 fps at modest pressures (pressures that would be modest in a 94 Winchester, so in your Savage these should be quite mild). It would top out at 24 grains for top-end pressures (again thinking model 94 Winchester). I hope you can find some real loading data -- these are just computer program generated stuff and not loads I know that anyone has ever tried.

QuickLoads shows 21 grains of H322 giving 2745 fps. If I couldn't find load-table data and had to start from scratch finding a load for your cartridge I'd start about here, and if the chronograph confirmed that approximate velocity I'd feel confident about going on up the charge rate about half-grain at a time, looking at velocity and any sign of excess pressures until I got a load I was happy with, for accuracy and velocity.

I'll bet you're going to have fun with your new baby.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
JeffG
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JeffG »

Thanks for the research and reply EarlMck,
That's a great help, thanks! I was planning on starting with 22g and see what the chrono said. I am picking as many brains as I can about this one.
There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle

-Albert Einstein
Dan 444
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dan 444 »

Jeff,

I checked all of the reloading manuals that I have and don't see any H322 loads. I think that you will do well with it, though. Just as info, the best load in my Marlin 336SC 219 Zipper is H4895/28.0g pushing a Speer 46g FP.

Dan
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Just checked my notes as I have not shot my Zipper in 5 years or so. In my Marlin 336, made in '59 with a 20" barrel, 27 grains of IMR 4895 with a 53 gr. Sierra HPBT gives an average of 3013 fps and is an MOA load out to 300 meters.--------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD