Chiappa '92 .45 LC for hunting deer?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Huntsman
Levergunner

Chiappa '92 .45 LC for hunting deer?

Post by Huntsman »

Hello levergun lovers 8)
I've recently picked me up a Chiappa model 92 lever in .45 Colt to match my 2 SAA Chaparral's (not for C.A.S., not a C.A.S. shooter, I just like the caliber and style ;)). I am currently loading my own cast 252gr SWC with Trailboss.
Now since my 30-30's have taken their fair sum of critters I'd like to give my new '92 a go at putting some tasty venison in the freezer next fall.
What I'm looking for are your suggestions on loads ie; bullets, powder, range etc.
I appreciate in advance all your opinions, advise and suggestions. :)
magyars
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Chiappa '92 .45 LC for hunting deer?

Post by magyars »

I have used a 255 LSWC and either 11.2 gr of AA#5, or a healthy dose of Unique and a Hornady XTP 250 gr.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have two load suggestions:

255-265gr Keith SWC over 9.0grs Unique

Or for a bit more FPS;
255-265gr Keith SWC over 18.5grs 2400

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

There was a fellow here a couple of years ago that hunted deer in a wooded area with a Winchester 94 45 Colt with a scope on it and had an ATV for hauling the deer etc. Looked like a handy set up for what he was doing.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Huntsman
Levergunner

Post by Huntsman »

No mention of Win 231 powder. Ok I'll scratch that one off the list :wink:
I was using a 300gr FN .452 boolit with sabots for my inline but I got to thinking these would be too slow in a pistol cartridge to ethically take down a deer with. These boolits mushroomed nicedly when shot at over 1700fps but out of my 92 I'm hesitant.
I was even considering some black powder loads for hunting as well....... :?:
Last edited by Huntsman on Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Huntsman,

You can use 231 but it's almost as fast as Bullseye so unless you push the loads into the Ruger only level you won't get much more than factory load velocity from it.

And you can push the 300gr bullets from the stronger Revolvers at well over a 1000 fps. You just have to use powders appropriate for that. Powders like H110, Lilgun, and others.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

My favorite is the load that Joe said: it is Elmer Keith's load for the Colt.18.5gr of 2400 under a Lyman/Keith SWC. Here is what Paco has to say.http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/ ... vergun.htm
Also look at John Linebaugh's website for somemore stuff to think about. Welcome to the Fire.
P.S. the Keith load will shoot around 1500fps out of a rifle and is easy on Your Ears and Your shoulder.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I use different loads in my .45 Colt rifle than in the revolvers, deliberately so because I see them differently.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

For a load you can also use in your revolvers, try 24 gr. H-4198, under a hard-cast 250 gr bullet. I use CCI LPMag primers.. this load will give you approx 1130 fps in a 7 1/2" revolver, and 1450 fps from your rifle.. In my '73, it is safe and accurate..

Another strategy, as Hobie suggested, would be dedicated rifle loads.. A 325-gr cast bullet over 22 gr H-110 will shoot lengthwise through a moose or elk.. It will also work in the revolvers, but recoil can be wicked...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Hobies comments are pretty much spot on....
if your gonna hunt with that bad boy!
HEY!
Wheres the pic of your rifle! :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Stuff the case w/as much 3F black powder as you can fit and still seat a 250gr RFN lubed w/SPG, sight it in for a zero of 75 yards, and keep your shots to 100 or less; enjoy your venison. Pretty simple, huh? :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have some special loads that push a 360 Keith bullet out at 1350 fps - don't know what that would shoot through. They are marked rifle only and surprisingly are not uncomfortable to shoot. The rifle kind of rocks up shooting them.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Griff wrote:Stuff the case w/as much 3F black powder as you can fit and still seat a 250gr RFN lubed w/SPG, sight it in for a zero of 75 yards, and keep your shots to 100 or less; enjoy your venison. Pretty simple, huh? :lol:
Hard to blow up a gun that way... and kills 'em just as dead. :mrgreen:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!