Help to identify levergun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Help to identify levergun

Post by Old Shatterhand »

What gun is this- the second one, under the beautiful 1894 TD? Never seen such a rifle before.

http://widforss.chiaro.mrfriday.com/?p= ... auktion=62

It looks like a leverified bolt rifle, a Krag?

Pete
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Re: Help to identify levergun

Post by Hagler »

Pete,

You could be right. The lever looks like something from a more modern gun:

The lever may be there just unlock the bolt handle. The bolt appears to have a place for your finger to pull it back with. I cannot tell if the tray is there to catch the empties, or if it is a kind of magazine.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

That looks like the bastard child of a Krag Jorgensen, and a Winchester model 88. :lol:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

It looks like it's an Eastern European milsurp Fotoshopgun 6,5x51mm ;) . :mrgreen:

ving-thorr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ving-thorr »

WOW! doesn't look quite so handy as a winchester 94 or 92 :shock:
The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
Psalms 27:1
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

The stock and rear sight suggest it was intended for military use. The box on the side is most likely a magazine and though it doesn't show in any of the photos it probably has a spring and follower attached to the hinged cover. The lever hasn't moved down far enough to move the bolt to the fully opened position. If you look at the location of the trigger guard relative to the action in the two lower photos it is clear that the lever assembly has moved to the rear. My guess as to how it functions is as follows: The lever is moved down unlocking the bolt and then the lever/trigger assembly is drawn rearward to open the bolt. Since the magazine feeds into the right side and there are no other visible openings in the reciever it has to eject from the bottom through the slot which the lever assemble covers when in the foreward position. The bolt would be closed by sliding the lever assembly foreward. The lever foreward of the trigger guard which looks like the lever to open a top break shotgun may serve to lock the action closed as well as provide a safety. I think the projection on the rear of the bolt is a cocking piece as found on many bolt action rifles. From the shape of the bolt it doesn't appear that it turns but simply slides back and forth like the bolt in a lever action rifle. It would be interesting to see drawings or this action disassembled.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Never even heard of nothing like that before. Can't help with the identification.
Old Law Dawg
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well... the auction house is in Sweden. I went thru a translation program and the 3 rifles they provide a descripton for... not match any of the three pictured. No help.

Maybe one of European levergunners can provide some assistance.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

Griff wrote:Well... the auction house is in Sweden. I went thru a translation program and the 3 rifles they provide a descripton for... not match any of the three pictured. No help.

Maybe one of European levergunners can provide some assistance.
I am from Sweden, and I have only seen the pictures. The catalogue text isn't ready yet as the auction take place in May. I put the question here at Leverguns, as I know that it would be the right place to ask.

Thanks for your comments!

Pete
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The cocking piece on the bolt is of a type i've seen on some Mausers.

Odds are high it's a modified Mauser design, though I've never seen one turned into a lever.

The right-side loading tray reminds me of a Breda Model 30 machine gun, which fed a swing-open permanently attached fixed magazine with rifle stripper clips, so the loader hinged it open, stuffed in 4-5 clips and swung it shut (no long strings of fire with a 30 or so round magazine).

Got to be a custom job, and a weird one at that.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Very interesting, the spent cartridge must fall out the bottom? An experimental Krag-Jorgenson?