Driving to Work this past week

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Driving to Work this past week

Post by JimT »

Driving here in Mozambique is always an adventure. In town it's dodging people, potholes and other vehicles. Out in the bush it's just plain navigating the roads. We have a family living on the farm that Iris owns .. they are managing the farm and trying to get a crop in. We went out to visit them the other day. I rode in the back of the truck and took pictures. We had waited until a couple days after the rain as you just cannot drive the road when the rains are happening. Jeff will drive out in the 4WD John Deere sometimes.

The road is not a trail. This is THE main road east out of the village of Mieze. If anyone would like to bring a 'dozer over and do about 8k of roadwork I know it would be appreciated by everyone going to the farm.

Driving to Machamba Metuge

The farmhouse on the Machamba Metuge

Sunset - Machamba Metuge
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT .. Driving to Work this past week

Post by Nath »

Whats the crops Jim?

Any varmints around the farm?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Nath .. they are growing corn, onions, tomatoes, cabbage .. not sure what other veggies .. as have about 60 fruit trees - lemon, orange, papaya, mango, guava, banana - tho technically banana ain't a tree ...

Varmint .. the worst are the two-legged ones that come in and steal the crops. The next worse are the snails, mice, rats and squirrels that eat the crops. There are always snakes around. The brush is thick enough that you don't see a lot of animals when you are driving .. they hear you coming. We have seen baboons, monkeys, cheetah, jackal, dogs and cats ....

The guards on the farm have bows and arrows and are pretty good with them.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Thanks Jim, is the farm part of the mission ya'll work with?
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

i can see the road would be real cute in the rain
can also see the vamints wouldnt have to be very sneaky to get in &
out with a arm load of goodies, not like here ya can see um for a mile
ollogger
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

And plenty hot i imagine :wink:
Nice pics Jim. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Life on the edge. Prayers continue Jim. As always, thanks for sharin' your travels.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Yes, thanks for sharing Jim, you certainly lead an interesting life!!!
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

God bless ya. Keep safe!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Jim,

Those roads are reminiscent of the back country roads in Arizona. Looks like slow going at the best. A dozer would only help for a short while.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Griff wrote:Life on the edge. Prayers continue Jim. As always, thanks for sharin' your travels.
+1
It is not the critic who counts
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Cool pics Jim!
Some beautiful country!
I hear they use Kia vehicles a lot there?????

What would keep me at unease would be the snakes! (Mamba's etc.) :shock:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

You are "a man on a mission".

A role model for the rest of us.

Most of us have far more humble 'missions' in our lives, either due to circumstances, or our own choosing, but seeing what you do is hopefully an inspiration to us all. Even if it is just helping customers or patients or neighbors or strangers, and going beyond-the-basics, we need to all do our parts.

Prayers for your safety and success and earthly rewards - I'm sure the latter comes in a torrent of love and pleasure in serving God's calling.

Awesome.

...and cool pictures, too...! :wink: 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Driving to Work this past week

Post by Old Time Hunter »

God bless ya Jim. Betcha the taxes are cheap!

Don't need to change 'em, just get 'em on God's side.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

looks like the Pennsylvania Turnpike as memory serves...same ruts and potholes...nothing really changes...

Much Blessings to you JimT
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

The farm is part of the group we work with - Ministerio Arco-Iris ... known in the States as "Iris Ministries".

The Pemba base feeds over two thousand people each day and the farm is part of a project to help reduce the cost of food. Food is very expensive here ..

Example .. a kilo of cheese is Forty US Dollars ... a box of Kellog's Corn Flakes is Seventeen US Dollars ... Ice Cream is about Twelve US Dollars a quart ... It is not cheap to live here .. even beans and rice are expensive for the Mozambicans.

So the farm is working to help reduce the cost of feeding. Monday through Friday Arco-Iris feeds children from the village around us a noon meal of beans and rice. Six hundred to a thousand children turn out each day. Some walk from quite a long distance to get the meal which is their only meal for the day.

Life is different here. Much more basic.

I have not seen many KIA's ... lots of Toyota's and Isuzu's .. other Japanese makes .. some vehicles from India .. some that may be Russian - I am not familiar with the names. Of course we have South African vehicles here including Ford.

Fuel is a huge cost. Gasoline is over Seven dollars and fifty cents a gallon ... Diesel is Five-something a gallon ... We like the diesel as it is much cleaner than the gasoline and a lot cheaper. The diesel Toyota Hilux is one heck of truck.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Doing the Kingdom work! God bless you.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Thanks for sharing your pictures. Beautiful country. can see the struggles of daily life. That is the thing about poverty. it takes so much work to do the simple things. Geting water in Sendafa is a several hour project. There is a poverty of time that helps keep people enslaved to the conditions. Things we take for granted, take so much time in other parts of the world, robbing them of time resources to work on getting out of the poverty. viscious circle. We have a farm in cuba as party of the organization i visit, the proceeds of which are helping to keep 100 mission families fed and in the field. Thanks for your work Jim. As always, you remain in my thoughts and prayers.
blessings
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Jim,
Good show and keep up the good work. 86er and I will be one country west of you in late May and June hunting cape buffalo, waterbuck, ,,,.

From the looks of that dirt road, all routine maintenance will be a dry weather proposition. Your 4 wd John Deere with the proper implements(box blade, dirt scoop, etc.) may be your best bet. Those kind of roads require constant grooming to keep open and useable.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

I miss africa. I spent some time in Kenya in '06 just looking around. It was something I promised myself when I was a kid.
Nairobi was a depressing place, schools on every street and no jobs for the graduates, the Masai have become merchants to the tourist trade since the government took away their spears.
Here in Arizona is nice but, I only come completely alive in a place that will kill you if you blink at the wrong time.

Bill
Last edited by williamranks on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

JimT wrote:Nath .. they are growing corn, onions, tomatoes, cabbage .. not sure what other veggies .. as have about 60 fruit trees - lemon, orange, papaya, mango, guava, banana - tho technically banana ain't a tree ...

Varmint .. the worst are the two-legged ones that come in and steal the crops. The next worse are the snails, mice, rats and squirrels that eat the crops. There are always snakes around. The brush is thick enough that you don't see a lot of animals when you are driving .. they hear you coming. We have seen baboons, monkeys, cheetah, jackal, dogs and cats ....

The guards on the farm have bows and arrows and are pretty good with them.
Thanks for your reply Jim, very interesting. Soil must be good, where does the fert(muck) come from?

God bless.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!