. . . sometimes the bear gets you.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

. . . sometimes the bear gets you.

Post by vancelw »

Sometimes you get the bear. . . like this time.

This is a long story, so I'll tell it. There may be blood in the pictures, so if you're offended please skip them.

I wasn't expecting to take time off work this month nor spend any extra money, but after 86er announced an opening in the black bear hunt this year I decided to go for it. Who knows where I'll be next year? Seize the day.

I couldn't decide which gun to take. I was torn between my Browning 1886 .45-70 rifle, my Winchester .30-30 trapper, my Winchester (Mikuro) 1892 .45 Colt rifle, my B-92 in .44 magnum, or my trusty Ruger Mark II all weather in .308 Winchester. I eliminated the .44 magnum and .45 Colt early on. If I was taking a handgun along, one of those would have been the pick. The guide told me to bring the .308 since it was scoped, but I REALLY wanted to use my .45-70 levergun. As I was packing my bags I chose the .308: it was stainless (and rain was a distinct possibility), it was scoped (in case I decided to call some coyotes while I was in Maine) and it would hurt my feeling the least if the airline lost or destroyed it. I'd never flown with a gun before and was nervous about it.
I loaded some .308 rounds using R-P brass, 42.0 grains of AA 2460 powder, CCI 200 primers, and Hornady 165 gr GMX bullets. (more on that later)
I read up on bear behavior and studied bear anatomy in the three weeks before my hunt. I knew the average black bear shot over bait was 150 pounds and most were under 200. I also learned that sows seldom got over 350 due to the stress of bearing and nursing young every year. I told the guide I just wanted to make sure I didn't shoot a cub, a yearling, or a sow with cubs. He told me that anything (without cubs) was shootable if it stood taller than the hole in the side of the bait barrel.
I washed all my clothes in scent-away and sealed them in plastic bags-including my hat. I wore a 3/4 face mask and light gloves to hide my white hands and watch face. The only skin visible was my eyes and nose, and I used a small amount of face paint on that area.

On hunting day, the guide took me to the stand. I thought he was lost. There was no path. You couldn't see 25 feet in any direction. When we got to the bait site, there was a narrow lane between the stand and the bait barrel-about 45 yards. away. I was excited as I'd never hunted black bear before.
bait site.jpg
The guide told me shooting hours ended at 7:33 and it would be dark long before that. It was 2 days before the new moon.
For four hours I watch nine thousand (more or less) squirrels fight over the bait. To me they looked like ground squirrels with no stripes, but the Mainers call them red squirrels. A couple of ravens took turns chasing the squirrels away so they could steal some bait. I knew I was camouflaged well when a raven landed in a branch about 8 feet from me and never knew I was there.
About 6 o'clock i saw two racoons behind the barrel. One sniffed the air and took off like a scalded rabbit. I thought I was busted!
Soon, I heard some noises out in the woods that sounded like a bigger animal than any coon or squirrel. The squirrels scrammed and slowly came back over the next 10 minutes. At about 6:20 I heard the noise of a stump or log being ripped open. Was that a bear looking for bugs? :!: About 45 minutes later the coons came back with three healthy friends. There were 4 fat coons in the bait barrel and the 5th was fighting to get in. I thought I'd never see a bear with all that racket going on.
At 7:15 it was getting dark. I checked my scope and I could still see fine through it. At 7:25 it was very dark and I was beginning to ponder my task of finding my way through the woods to the pickup sight. My eyes were beginning to play tricks on me. The shadows were dancing and this was exacerbated by the 5 coons moving around. I looked through my scope and I could barely make out the barrel, but I could make it out. I have been sitting in the stand for 4 hours and I was not going to get down 8 minutes early, especially after sitting on a plane for so many hours the day before. I kept looking through my scope and glancing at my watch, making sure that I did not shoot after legal hours. It was getting darker and darker as 7:33 approached. At 7:29 I heard a branch snap. :shock: A loud snap. "Here he comes." I said. I readied my rifle and took the safety off very carefully so it would make no noise. I kept my finger off the trigger-it has a crisp 2.5 pound pull and I didn't want any premature discharges.

At 7:30 a huge black blob came from my left. It charged in like a bull. I tried to see how tall it was compared to the bait barrel, but I couldn't see the barrel :!: It was moving so fast I thought, "I'll never get a clean shot." it ran past the barrel then turned back and stuck it's head in the bait hole.
BOOM.
The bruin was down. I immediately chambered another round (the reloader in me saying, "I'm gonna lose that piece of brass :D )
BOOM. I shot again, not wanting to make a rookie mistake and let the bear get his feet under him. If he ran 200 yards in that thicket, he would most likely be gone since we had no dogs to track with.
I chambered another round. The bear was kicking. I was sure I had two good hits on him, but I added a 3rd insurance round. BOOM I was NOT going to tell a story about the one that got away.
Was he still kicking or was it my imagination? All I could see with the naked eye was black blobs dancing.
I waited a few seconds, took the live round out of the chamber but left 2 rounds in the magazine and got down from the stand. I had to use my flashlight to get the the bait site without tripping. There he was. He looked big to me but I didn't want to jinx it.
Bear down.jpg
The first round broke his spine, right between in front of the shoulders. He hit the ground and rolled slightly to the right. The second went in to the left of the first and cut his carotid artery or jugular vein. He rolled farther to the right. The third went in right behind his left shoulder, separating it.

The guide had heard me shoot (he was waiting to pick me up when I came out of the woods) and he made a quick trip to the bait sight. I think it was 30 seconds before he said a word. "That's a big bear." Then there was silence again for another 30 seconds.
We left the bear to go pick up the other hunters from the woods. Then came back with a 4 wheeler, a sled, a chain saw, and some help. It took us till midnight to get him out of the woods and into the cooler.
Smile.jpg
Next day we took him to the tagging station. Then we took him back to the cooler. He weighed 363 dressed. The guide added 20 percent and that put him at 435. A more conservative estimate would be to add 15 per cent which would make him have an estimated live weight of 418.
front paw.jpg
back paw.jpg
It took us till noon the next day to get him skinned and quartered. I brought home the hindquarters and backstraps and the guide took the front shoulders. It was very expensive to bring that much bear meat home on the plane, but I'm going to enjoy every tasty morsel of it (and try not to think about my taxidermy bill.)

I'll post more on bullet performance later.

Earlier I couldn't understand why the bear charged in so fast. He was chasing off the racoons. I had completely forgotten about them once the bear was on my mind. I am glad I was not a coon in the barrel when that guy showed up and poked his head in my only exit.

If anybody thinks $675 is took much for a bear hunt, this tightwad disagrees. The amount of work involved in baiting the sites every day for 3 weeks before season, retrieving and taking care of the animal, and dropping off/picking up hunters is immense. I recommend this bear hunt to any one who has ever thought about it. Contact 86er to get booked for future hunts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: . . . sometimes the bear gets you.

Post by vancelw »

Please don't look if blood and guts offends you.

Bill is about 5' 10". The bear is hanging by his hind foot (out of sight) and his nose is about an inch off the floor.
We trimmed about 50 pounds of fat off of him.
hanging.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Bullet info

Post by vancelw »

I apologize in advance for the picture. I am using a Kodak Instamatic. My SLR camera is at work and I am NOT going to get it until Monday. :D
.308 Winchester.jpg
I weighed a new GMX bullet. It tipped the scales at 165.25 grains.
The expended round was found under the neck skin of the bear. I was not able to find the other 2 rounds.
It weighed 164.2 grains. I guess the little plastic nose cone weighs about 1 grain.

I estimate the bullet was traveling a little more than 2500 fps when it hit the bear. It expanded perfectly.
recovered GMX.jpg

Here is old trusty.
Ruger MK II.jpg
When Ruger first announced the All-Weather line of rifles I picked this up at the Market Hall gun show in Dallas (1990?)
I had the barrel re-crowned, barrel floated, and trigger cut from 100 pounds (that's what it felt like) to 2.5 pounds.
For the black bear hunt I taped the barrel to reduce glare and noise and tied leather string to the sling swivels to quiet them down.
I always place black tape over the muzzle to keep out mud and water.
The day of the hunt I took the Butler scope covers off as they are very noisy to open and even noisier if bumped while already open. The Butler Creek covers are priceless when hunting in Montana as they keep the scope clean of snow, dust, and sage.
This rifle has taken over 100 deer sized animals. I harvest 1 to 5 a year (combination of mule deer, whitetails, and pronghorn) and have handed it to many a hunting companion with "gun troubles" (jams, misfeeds, dud ammo, fogged scope) who have all managed to kill the deer of the moment with one shot.
It has eliminated countless coyotes in Montana and Texas and now a bear. Elk and hogs are still on it's short list. I may add moose to the list.

I hunt more and more with iron sight leverguns as it makes me have to sneak closer (or call the prey closer) and be less picky about trophy size. The thrill of the hunt is the key, not the ease of killing.
If I had used an open sight rifle for this trip, i would have had to quit 15 to 20 minutes earlier due the the lack of light and I would not have gotten this nice bear. I'm glad the guide talked me into bringing a scoped rifle.
Last edited by vancelw on Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Good Stuff Vance!! That's a really nice bear. I've been thinking of going on one of those. Now I really want to!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Great hunt, that's a BIG bear!

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Congratulations Vance :D excellent post as well. What are you having done with the hide?

I always thought a bear skin rug would be nice.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Rusty wrote:Congratulations Vance :D excellent post as well. What are you having done with the hide?

I always thought a bear skin rug would be nice.
I'm having the taxidermist in Maine make a rug with a 3D head (closed mouth) and also having him clean the skull for me. I have to pick up some aluminum cans for a year to pay him! They charge by the foot and I had to go and get a long bear. The guide is going to get the skull scored after it is cleaned and dried for 60 days.

Now I gotta go cut up some bear meat and put it in the freezer.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

:mrgreen:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

That is a monster bear! Congrats
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I really need to do that some day.... :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Nice work :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I will have to try some of those GMX's in my 308 you cann't argue with that performance.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
spencer516
Levergunner 1.0

Post by spencer516 »

Nice bear!!! Didn't get to bear hunting this year. Glad somebody had some luck!!!
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Great job Vance!!! Not bad for a spur of the moment hunt.
Ricky

DWWC
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Good job, and big bear.

Of course listening to Guns & Ammo, you'd have need a .346 SuperUltraShortMagnumThermoNuclear self guiding round for that.........

I've been out 3-4 times for hogs and coyotes with either a .44 Marlin or my AR. Still only got a coyote. My brother came once. As i told him, we may not get anything (and we didn't) but that's why they call it hunting, not killing.......

Pretty solid shot placement if the first round broke the spine.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

MrMurphy wrote:Good job, and big bear.
Of course listening to Guns & Ammo, you'd have need a .346 SuperUltraShortMagnumThermoNuclear self guiding round for that.........
I've been looking for one of those. :lol: There is a song out about "da turdy point buck" that mentions something similar
Da Yoopers wrote:Ya, my only hope was Betty Lou,
she was the one,
a combination AK 57 oozie radar laser triple-barrel double-scoped heat-seekin shotgun.
MrMurphy wrote:Pretty solid shot placement if the first round broke the spine.
I wish I could claim it as all skill. I am a heart-lungs kinda guy. No neck shots for me. But the only presentation I had was from above and behind. I showed the guide where the first shot hit and he said, "Kinda high."

I just grinned. :D
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

Glad you had such a fun and successful hunt! Thanks for sharing it with us -- we
can live vicariously through your adventures!! :D

Congratulations!

John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Thanks for the great post and pic's. I can feel Your Excitment just like I was there. :D :D
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Boy, that is a big bear! (It looks even bigger than what it weighed!)
The photo of skinning it ? That pic looks like your skinning a beef if ya didnt see the bear parts :lol:
Very well done on a trophy bear that will last in your memories forever, :mrgreen:
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Wow! That's a great bear! Great story and pics too! That looks like the same stand I killed my bear from in 2008. It wasn't anything like yours though! Well, ok, it was black and hairy. :D
NRA Life Member
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

congrats. very nice
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
papabear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by papabear »

Congratulation on your bear I am trying to get back there my self
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
====================================================================
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed
For Those Who Don't None Will Do
====================================================================
Member Of The N.R.A.-North American Hunting club-Syosset Gun Club
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Thanks for sharing, Great Job, glad you went with your instincts, and went on the hunt and shared the story.
It is not the critic who counts
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

Great story and pics!I have the newer version of that gun also in 308,the m77 hawkeye.
Although not necessary you could push that bullet at 2700 with no problem.Congrats!
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

You'll never regret going. Congratulations, that's a nice bear.
Old Law Dawg
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

m.wun wrote:Great story and pics!I have the newer version of that gun also in 308,the m77 hawkeye.
Although not necessary you could push that bullet at 2700 with no problem.Congrats!
Well, confession time here...

I ordered the GMX bullets and loaded the rounds the day before I flew to Maine. So I never pulled the trigger on them until the morning of the hunt. Knowing I wouldn't have time to test fire and chrono the rounds I backed the powder off a little to a safe range. I wanted BOOM not KABOOM. The info I had said 42.5 grains of 2460 would send a 168 gr bullet out at 2600 fps. I figured if I couldn't hit the bullseye at 50 yards (actually I should be a little high at that range) or saw any high pressure signs I could go to the local hardware store and buy some 180 Remington Core-Loks.

I had told the guide I wished I had some 180 Remington Core-Loks so I could put one right behind the GMX and compare performance. He said I'd never get two rounds into him with a bolt action. After seeing the bait site, I'm sure that's true if you don't get one knocked down right away. He also told me he had never had a bear expire right at the bait barrel since he had been guiding. Those perfectly expanding GMXs tranferred all their power to the bear, which is real nice, but wasn't my first intention. What I was trying to accomplish was an exit hole so we would have a blood trail to follow, and I figured the GMX was a good candidate for that. I like what really happened just fine. :D

I didn't tell the guide I had unproven ammo until after I had my bear.

Thanks for the congrats guys. My wife even ate some tonight and said it was good. She's real hesitant on game meat. I grilled a sizeable chunk of backstrap and it was real good.

But the magic word tonight was Bear Ka-Bobs!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Vance,

All I can say is, Thanks. Thanks for taking us along on your bear hunt. :P Congrats on the monster... sized bear, bill and memories. :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Great job, Friend! Dare I say "I told you so". The weather and the moon were just right and Bill had been seeing a lot of activity on the barrels. I really appreciate a client that pays attention to details (like taping your barrel), and takes our advice seriously (like a scope is a huge advantage). Your work and diligence paid off big time. Bill doesn't talk much and he is all honesty. He rarely calls a bear "big". Just about everyone shoots "a little high". He would not give a 20% allowance for live weight if he didn't whole-heartedly believe that was the actual weight. Bill is conservative as a rule. Bill and I have been doing the bear hunts together for 7 years now and it has continuously improved as we put more resources into it and he gains intimate knowledge. I admire taking the shot you did without trying to get the textbook stance from the animal and a perfect sight picture. I also commend you for shooting 3 times - ahh something I wish I could get most folks to do - because it added insurance to your recovery and was righteous to the bear. That there is a whopper in any State! I hope this weeks clients are as fortunate. Of the 5 that booked, 2 cancelled. They're going to regret it - this is a great year for bear with the conditions as they are! Congratulations Vance!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Bullet info

Post by AJMD429 »

vancelw wrote:I had the barrel re-crowned, barrel floated, and trigger cut from 100 pounds (that's what it felt like) to 2.5 pounds.
With that stock, was 'floating the barrel' just a matter of hand-filing the barrel channel deeper, or using a router like on a wooden stock, or what...?
vancelw wrote:If I had used an open sight rifle for this trip, i would have had to quit 15 to 20 minutes earlier due the the lack of light and I would not have gotten this nice bear. I'm glad the guide talked me into bringing a scoped rifle.
The whitetails around our place seem to know legal shooting hours, and quit moving around at opening time and stay put until end of shooting hours. THAT is why we all like the large-objective 'light-gathering' scopes - if you see zero deer all day long, and know you'll see them mostly ten minutes before it is too dark to even use a scope, that "mere few minutes" of extended shooting time offered by a scope vs a peep (or a large-bell scope, vs. a 'traditional' straight-tube one) is the difference between venison and store-bought beef.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Congratulations on the bear and thanks so much for sharing. I really got to do that!!!!!!!!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Bullet info

Post by vancelw »

AJMD429 wrote:
vancelw wrote:I had the barrel re-crowned, barrel floated, and trigger cut from 100 pounds (that's what it felt like) to 2.5 pounds.
With that stock, was 'floating the barrel' just a matter of hand-filing the barrel channel deeper, or using a router like on a wooden stock, or what...?
Not real sure. If you want, PM me and I'll take a picture and send it to you (or post it-whatever). I had a gunsmith in Graham TX do it in 1990 or 1991 and I never met the guy. A good friend took the gun to him and picked it up for me.

It involves an aluminum block for sure. He may have rasped the inside of the stock down some to provide clearance.

The Zytel stock on this rifle moves a lot. I have to make sure and keep my hand back or the stock will move and touch the barrel-moving the POI. I also cannot use the sling for stability for the same reason. This gun is a great first-shot gun. The first shot is always where I expect it to be. Rapid follow up shots tend to widen out. I put the Leopold 3.5X10 scope on it in 1991, sighted in, and have not had to adjust the settings since then. (Even after falling on snow covered hills more than once :oops: ) Soon I will take it out to the range to re-zero for these GMX rounds I loaded. I like to set my sights for maximum point blank range using an 8" vital zone. For the Remington 150 gr Core-Loks that put me 4" low at ~300 yards. My range will be a little less for these.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

86er wrote:That there is a whopper in any State!
I don't want to jinx it. . . but I'm dying to see what the skull scores. I'll be surprised if it's not close to 21. (crosses fingers). Bad thing about shooting big bear is the taxidermist charges by the foot. That part I can wait to find out.

Spent all day cutting up bear meat to put in the freezer. Wife liked it so much I overheard her bragging to her mom how good it tasted. It's hard to believe such a big animal can be so tender.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Draggin up an old thread. It will give us something else to grouse about during cabin fever season :D

I finally got my bear skull back from the taxidermist. It scored 18 12/16 inches (far from what I hoped) but enough to make the Maine record books. I think it takes 18" to make the books. No where near the top 10 but I'm very pleased.
Bear skull small.JPG
My wife wanted to hang my bear skin rug on the wall and I wouldn't let her. We only have 8 foot ceilings. If we hung it where the paws touched the ceiling, the other paws dragged the floor. I didn't want the cat rubbing on it or kids rubbing greasy mitts on it. Gotta figure out something else to do. Taxidermist told me he had to use a grizzly form for the head. :D :D :D

May have to build a man cave trophy room. Namibia is coming up this summer and a zebra rug is in my future.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Excellent story :D

That there long bullet looks like consumes alot of powder space!

Some rubber stocks folks stiffen by laying old carbon/ alloy arrows in them!!!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Awesome... :)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Congratulations, Vance!

That's a handsome bear.

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

The skull turned out great.
Old Law Dawg
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

One last pic.
Bear Rug.jpg
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

The rug turned out great too. My dad had a cinnamon phase bear made into a rug and it laid on the floor or our house growing up. I don't suggest doing that as it took a beating.
Old Law Dawg
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Great rug Vance!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very impressive, thanks for sharing. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Vancelw said
"My wife wanted to hang my bear skin rug on the wall and I wouldn't let her. We only have 8 foot ceilings. If we hung it where the paws touched the ceiling, the other paws dragged the floor. I didn't want the cat rubbing on it or kids rubbing greasy mitts on it. Gotta figure out something else to do. Taxidermist told me he had to use a grizzly form for the head. May have to build a man cave trophy room. Namibia is coming up this summer and a zebra rug is in my future."

Wow! Nice. I'd kick that celing out and make a vaulted roof section just to accommodate :)
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Outstanding! Congrats on your successful hunt. That's a very nice bear and the taxidermy looks great.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Good shooting. danny
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

gak wrote:Vancelw said
"My wife wanted to hang my bear skin rug on the wall and I wouldn't let her. We only have 8 foot ceilings. If we hung it where the paws touched the ceiling, the other paws dragged the floor. I didn't want the cat rubbing on it or kids rubbing greasy mitts on it. Gotta figure out something else to do. Taxidermist told me he had to use a grizzly form for the head. May have to build a man cave trophy room. Namibia is coming up this summer and a zebra rug is in my future."

Wow! Nice. I'd kick that celing out and make a vaulted roof section just to accommodate :)
Lightweight trusses in the roof :cry: I hate them, but I didn't build this house. I don't understand why the people who did pinched pennies in some places and spent extra in others (2x6 exterior walls on a single story). I think the had big dreams of adding an additional story someday, but it would be cheaper to build a new house as they didn't make any allowances for an additional story other than the exterior walls. It would require a complete gutting and do-over. I'm close to retirement and thinking my next career might be out of a home office. What an excuse for a big office with a vaulted ceiling! And if I plan ahead I can leave room for a Kudu and gemsbok :D
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Great bear Vance. I would love to try that sometime. Thanks for the story.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Great hunt - congrats on your success. Very good report, appreciate the info.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Outstanding! That's a very nice bear and the taxidermy looks great.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Great story and photos - Thanx!
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Great thread!!!
"That'll Be The Day"