Marquis de Queensbury Rules, Eh-What ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Marquis de Queensbury Rules, Eh-What ?

Post by Pete44ru »

Eenie, meenie, minee, moe............... :shock:

Which shot would you try for first ?

Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Marquis de Queensbury Rules, Eh-What ?

Post by Boreman »

Neither :wink: I would watch and see which one won the contest and let the winner walk.What a show that would be !!!!!!!!!!!!
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Can't shoot that little cub.
heck he is standing on the bank(deer is in the water)and the poor little grub don't even come halfway up to the deer. :lol:

yep, would wait for momma to come charging out of woods to get the next "quick" show! :shock:
Last edited by madman4570 on Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

The deer won't try to steal your dead bear, but I'm thinking a bear might try to steal a dead deer.

I'd shoot the deer first, and then the bear while he was tryin' to get a grip on the expiring deer.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

FWiedner wrote:The deer won't try to steal your dead bear, but I'm thinking a bear might try to steal a dead deer.

I'd shoot the deer first, and then the bear while he was tryin' to get a grip on the expiring deer.

:)

I rarely agree with you but in this instance I have to :lol:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

(photoshop snob) Lots of ugly work in that left corner, look at all that repetition(/photoshop snob) :wink:
Slow is just slow.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Cas, you might be right, those brown spots look very close to alike. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I wouldn't shoot either one. I'd just watch the show. If the pictures real, that cub's about to get a couple of hooves to the noggin in rapid fashion. I was hoping it was a vid. I'd still like to see what happened.
Old Law Dawg
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

cas wrote:(photoshop snob) Lots of ugly work in that left corner, look at all that repetition(/photoshop snob) :wink:

Buzzkillers jes DON'T know how ta have fun................(scheesh) :roll:

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I would pass and let them both go for the amusement.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Whether or not the pic is real (VERY unlikely), as an exercise in problem solving it's a good one, both practical and ethical issues abound!

A clear instance supporting suppressed weapons for hunting as a practical solution. The loud report of an unsuspressed rifle might be enough to scare the bear off if you shoot the deer first.

Is it really ethical to simply watch? Do you feel a "duty" to end any suffering might impart to the other? Rhetorical questions... no answers required. As there isn't a "black and white" right or wrong answer.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Griff wrote:Whether or not the pic is real (VERY unlikely), as an exercise in problem solving it's a good one, both practical and ethical issues abound!

A clear instance supporting suppressed weapons for hunting as a practical solution. The loud report of an unsuspressed rifle might be enough to scare the bear off if you shoot the deer first.

Is it really ethical to simply watch? Do you feel a "duty" to end any suffering might impart to the other? Rhetorical questions... no answers required. As there isn't a "black and white" right or wrong answer.
I see nothing ethical in it !

Normally where I'd be in a situation to see a bear I would be damage control hunting and they clearly stipulate . "Kill up to 5 Black Bear and up to 50 Whitetails" and thats what we try to do !

Alot of you say "pass" and thats your perrogative . When we do the damage control thing it's always july , august and september . There have been some days I've sat in a tree and it was 103 degree's in the shade . When you damage control hunt you are NOT trophy hunting so in my instance they would both be dead if I could get a decent shot at the second one .
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

A poor ethical choice would be one to wound one of the animals to see if the other would prefer to retreat or take advantage to attack.

A proper ethical choice would be to cut your gun in half, leave the woods, allow nature to take it's course, and go straight home to live out your days slurping up tofu and broccoli pudding for supper with your partner, Bruce.

Real or imaginary woodland encounter, I believe that this is a question posed for simple amusement.

A hunter might choose to watch or choose to shoot depending on which color of permission slip was issued by the king, or depending on how badly he needs entertained.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Would depend on how hungry I was :wink: BTW Judging from the leaves on the trees, am assuming its too early for deer hunting there.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

id shoot the Deer, after shooting a few Bear I dont like Bear meat
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[after shooting a few Bear I dont like Bear meat]

With all due respect, there's something wrong - possibly in the meat prep, prior to cooking.

I've found Black Bear to be delicious, handled/cooked much like roast Pork - and absolutely the BEST spicy Italian sausage I ever had was made with Black Bear meat (by my son & his friends - who now do all my game butchering.

I've tasted apple pie, that someone had made really bad, but would never give up on it - I LOVE apple pie ! :mrgreen:

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Pete the last one i shoot was over 500lbs, maybe a bit much
of sausage, jerky, etc, The best one ive ever had was taken in the spring, alot less fat, wright or wrong? I cut & make all my game
some game is well, gamey
thats when the stuffer gets a work out
ollogger
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

JMO, but the onlyest thing bear fat's good for is patch lube in a roundball rifle. ;) . :mrgreen:

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

coulda had ya a lifetime supply :lol:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Pete44ru wrote:[after shooting a few Bear I dont like Bear meat]

With all due respect, there's something wrong - possibly in the meat prep, prior to cooking.

I've found Black Bear to be delicious, handled/cooked much like roast Pork - and absolutely the BEST spicy Italian sausage I ever had was made with Black Bear meat (by my son & his friends - who now do all my game butchering.

I've tasted apple pie, that someone had made really bad, but would never give up on it - I LOVE apple pie ! :mrgreen:

You may be correct . But I gotta agree with ollogger !

Of the bear we've killed in the last three DCP seasons I can't say I was overly impressed with it either . Luckily we found a fire department close to us that the professionals there like the stuff so we quarter them up now and give it to those guys !